When To Renew The O ?

Hello,

I'm planning to renew my Marriage O-A visa next year. It expires on April 26th. When can I renew it ? 30, 60 days before ? Because I would like to travel to Japan during my wife's holidays in mid-April. However, if they are processing the visa request I cannot get out of the country. So could I start to ask it in Feb-or March ?

Secondly, about the proof of 400 000 bahts transfered to my Thai bank account... What kind of proof can I submit ? Do I have to ask my relatives in Canada to send by mail the actual proof or can I obtain it from Thailand ?

Finally, do the immigration periodically check the amount of money in your back account or only once.

Thank you and I'm looking forward to read your answer !

1. A new extension request is not likely to be accepted more than 30 days before it is due. Can you travel and return by the April 26 date? If not the best you can do is to apply before your travel date (end of March/start of April) and obtain a re entry permit to allow you to travel during the "under consideration" (probably until end of May) period. As this is normally 30-45 days it should be enough for your visit. Then after your return you get your extension of stay stamp. If the above does not work you can plead your case - but believe it is better to try to work within the normal rules.

2. The proof of 400k transfer is your bank account here and the record of wire transfer(s) into it (that is all available in Thailand). You also have to provide a letter from your bank here confirming the amount in your account within the week of extension application.

3. Bank account will be checked during the under consideration period and may be checked at any time during the year under new policy AFAIK. That does not mean you have to keep 400k in account - you are expected to use it to live. But if it disappears the day after you get extension stamp you might get some serious questions asked in the future.