Can You Sing Your Country's National Anthem, Word For Word?

Jingthing

Can you sing your country's national anthem, word for word?  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just saw a cute Thai move Handle with Care where the lead character is forced to sing the Thai national anthem (nice song) word for word to prove he isn't an illegal immigrant (he had lost his ID). He could sing it. Got me thinking about my USA national anthem. I most certainly cannot either sing it or recite the words to save my life, even though I grew up only a few hours from the site of the battle the song is about. I get as far as OH SAY CAN YOU SEE (is that right?). Of course, the US national anthem is notoriously difficult to sing, even for pro singers.

How about you? Can you sing and recite your national song?

BTW, the movie features a really nasty stereotypical evil American farang character, he trades in illegal Buddha heads, naturally, just like most of us. I guess the target audience was the TRT, PPP crowd, but I liked the movie anyway.

BTW: Sorry, there isn't space in the polling form for all nationalities, obviously.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am neither above but can proudly say I know my country's anthem.

Have some doubt however that anybody would enjoy me singing it :o

If I understand your movie plot, looks like most american would have problem with immigration if knowing the anthem would prove one's nationality :D

Just saw a cute Thai move Handle with Care where the lead character is forced to sing the Thai national anthem (nice song) word for word to prove he isn't an illegal immigrant (he had lost his ID). He could sing it. Got me thinking about my USA national anthem. I most certainly cannot either sing it or recite the words to save my life, even though I grew up only a few hours from the site of the battle the song is about. I get as far as OH SAY CAN YOU SEE (is that right?). Of course, the US national anthem is notoriously difficult to sing, even for pro singers.

How about you? Can you sing and recite your national song?

BTW, the movie features a really nasty stereotypical evil American farang character, he trades in illegal Buddha heads, naturally, just like most of us. I guess the target audience was the TRT, PPP crowd, but I liked the movie anyway.

BTW: Sorry, there isn't space in the polling form for all nationalities, obviously.

You seem to forget, that in movies, the characters are actors. It may have taken many 'takes' before he got it right.

<br />if you were played a tune at least twice a day from the day you remember - you would be able to sing it, even if it was chinese<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Yep brainwashing alright dont agree much with all this nationalist stuff countries boundaries etc ect and I dont just mean Thailand either. Do I know mine ermmm yes or at leats the first verse but then we always used to change the words a t school for something much less appropriate! Still at least we dont have to stand to atention like sheep when its played over loudspeakers, bugger that for a game of conkers!

<br />
dont agree much with all this nationalist stuff countries <b>boundaries</b> etc ect
<br />Great i was looking for a free place to stay in LOS can you give me your address will be over next month. Liberals i sh.. em<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Sure no problems ...................its Thailand planet earth drop in or out anytime!

I can get through the US anthem quite well. The melody is based on an old English drinking song, and since my familys base on my moms dad side were English and drank, it warbles out ok.

Due to many sporting events, especially hockey, I can get through the english version of Oh Canada without a strain.

I can pretty well sing the first verse, but unlike the Thais, I wasn't brainwashed by hearing it 760 times per year. Mine is a bloody war hymn, like the Battle Hymn of the Republic, so if they sing it in church, I walk out.

I'm sure it made a cute scene in a silly movie, but in most countries, it wouldn't prove citizenship.

Funny how a few month a go the next-to-be prime minister of Belgium Yves Letherme was asked by a TV reporter if he could sing the national anthem.

So he went in front of the cameras:" Allons enfants de la patrie-ie-e, Aux Armes les cityoens....

That was the FRENCH anthem idiot :o

Funny how a few month a go the next-to-be prime minister of Belgium Yves Letherme was asked by a TV reporter if he could sing the national anthem.

So he went in front of the cameras:" Allons enfants de la patrie-ie-e, Aux Armes les cityoens....

You must be joking !

You must be joking !

You never know. If the vlaemisch part of Belgium gets independent the french part may have to join la grande nation.

You must be joking !

You never know. If the vlaemisch part of Belgium gets independent the french part may have to join la grande nation.

I seriously doubt that this is going to ever happen.........

I know all the words, but am not a Royalist so i dont and wouldnt ever sing them.

I will take that back i just checked the words and i dont know them all, most of them though.

Not a fan or fascist regimes or religion i.e "God save the Queen" , maybe we should use "Rule Britannia instead."

jingthing, Do you mean "I am British...." or "I am a Brit.."If you do not know what an inhabitant of the United Kingdom (or any other country for that matter) is called then why don't you 'google' it? You are the one who started the "Do You Hear The Word Farang Used By Thais In A Derogatory Way?" but in this poll, you use the word "Yank" and "Canuck". Both of these terms may be deemed 'derogatory' by some Americans and Canadians. Please explain why you chose to use these terms. I know Americans and Canadians who are offended.

jingthing, Do you mean "I am British...." or "I am a Brit.."If you do not know what an inhabitant of the United Kingdom (or any other country for that matter) is called then why don't you 'google' it? You are the one who started the "Do You Hear The Word Farang Used By Thais In A Derogatory Way?" but in this poll, you use the word "Yank" and "Canuck". Both of these terms may be deemed 'derogatory' by some Americans and Canadians. Please explain why you chose to use these terms. I know Americans and Canadians who are offended.

Sorry, nice troll bait attempt but no cigar. I wanted to include all kinds of British Isles people, so sue me!

This is just a fun poll, don't be so serious.

BTW: Americans are not offended by the term Yank (rather we usually find it quaint YANKEE DOODLE DANDY but we don't like septic but most of us don't even know about that term) and if Canadians are offended by the term Canuck, please explain this:

post-37101-1203652858_thumb.jpg

post-37101-1203653172.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

As an aside, I have the Thai national anthem as my mobile phone's ringtone. About half the Thai people who hear it like the idea, but I got a few frowns.

Is it acceptable in Thailand to use their national anthem as a mobile phone ringtone?

Peter

jingthing: Did I say that all Yanks are offended? No, merely that some may find the term derogatory. I was not baiting but asking a serious question.

I know all the words, but am not a Royalist so i dont and wouldnt ever sing them.

I will take that back i just checked the words and i dont know them all, most of them though.

Not a fan or fascist regimes or religion i.e "God save the Queen" , maybe we should use "Rule Britannia instead."

So you are not a Royalist or a fan of religion, did anyone suggest that you have to be to sing the National Anthem? You mention 'fascist regime', which country are you referring to? As for your suggestion of using "Rule, Britannia!", have you listened to the words? They are jingoistic. Please note the correct punctuation in "Rule, Britannia!", one comma and one exclamation mark alter the meaning.

As an aside, I have the Thai national anthem as my mobile phone's ringtone. About half the Thai people who hear it like the idea, but I got a few frowns.

Is it acceptable in Thailand to use their national anthem as a mobile phone ringtone?

You say that half the people like it or are they just being polite? I do not know about the legality of using it but I would consider it bad manners and inappropriate.

jingthing: Did I say that all Yanks are offended? No, merely that some may find the term derogatory. I was not baiting but asking a serious question.

So you are not a Royalist or a fan of religion, did anyone suggest that you have to be to sing the National Anthem? You mention 'fascist regime', which country are you referring to? As for your suggestion of using "Rule, Britannia!", have you listened to the words? They are jingoistic. Please note the correct punctuation in "Rule, Britannia!", one comma and one exclamation mark alter the meaning.

You say that half the people like it or are they just being polite? I do not know about the legality of using it but I would consider it bad manners and inappropriate.

Having a bad day Mr Hippo ?? :o

I am an American and personally I could give a toss if someone refers to Americans as Yanks. They can call me a septic if they prefer. The only group of folks that I can think of that might get offended are some folks from the south who still want to wallow in the sorrow of having lost the right to own slaves – and I could give a toss about offending them by calling them Yanks.

As for the national anthem bit – I probably would get stuck in a few places but generally I know it (the US national anthem that is).

As for the Thai anthem: I am not really all that comfortable with the how nationalistic the Thai anthem is – but I am not surprised at the nature of the words considering when it was written. It is a bit ironic that shortly thereafter they basically rolled over for the Japanese –

“They will never let anyone threaten their independence” – what happend in '41 then?

Regardless of what I think of the words or the history, I still find it exceedingly disrespectful when folks don’t at least stand and shut their traps when it is played everyday at 8/6.

Sadly ;I can not :D .

I have Alzheimer's disease (irrupts on demand occasionally :D )so I can not memorize anything added to it I have a very harsh husky voice that would might get me stoned by singing the first line. :o