Car Hire

RAZZELL

Next week I'm going with the girlfriend to visit her family in Fang about 150km outside of Chiang Mai.

As I'm on holiday I don't want to drive but she says she might want to hire a car.

Can "I" hire it and let her drive?

What documents do I need..? I've only got a UK licence. Do they take a credit card swipe etc etc etc? What happens if god forbid we have an accident?

Any company recommendations?

Many thanks :o

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

You'll need 20k deposit (although this may differ from one company to another), driving license and passport.

If your girlfriend has a driving license, you can add her as an extra driver... if not, I'd recommend driving your self. Why don't you want to drive? I personally think that driving in Thailand is very easy, especially outside of bangkok.

For starters make sure she actually has a license. Many do not and its the "it'll be allright on the night" sort of bullshit. I'd hire a car from someone reputable if there is one. I would not hire one from some one man band. Your UK license with an International Driving Permit (which you can get from the Post Office in the UK) is enough. Deposit could be as little as 5k (Q-Cars) as that is their insurance liability. If she has no license don't let her drive.

I've hired a car once in Pattaya before I bought mine, and a few times in Chiang Rai when visiting the inlaws, each for 3-4 days at a time and have never had to leave a deposit.

It's worth getting an IDP so you are covered for insurance purposes, and let them take a COPY of your passport, never leave the original.

Check the car thoroughly before you accept it for dents/ scratches, some have even suggested taking photos from all angles. There are a few rogues out there, as in any country.

I can recommend 'Thai rent a car', Google for their website.

The cars are well looked after and only a year or two old, cheap rates, fully insured with a 5k excess. You only need a valid drivers licence from your country and they photocopy your passport.

You sign a deposit on your credit card, which isn't charged unless you go missing with the car. When you return the car they tear up the credit card deposit slip.

As for your girlfriend driving, as long as she has a licence it wouldn't be a problem.