Retirement To Marriage Visa

I am a Brit male and have had a Thai retirement visa for the past 7 years. I married a Thai 2 years ago and seek advice on changing my retirement visa to a marriage one. Apart from having to show 400k baht in the bank instead of double that and producing my marriage certificate are there any other documents I must have in addition to the usual? Secondly, if I have the 800k in the bank am I better to leave things as they are?

I'm a Brit male who has lived in Thailand on a retirement visa for the past 7 years. Two years ago I married a Thai and am thinking of changing my retirement visa for a marriage one. Has anyone done this? I would welcome any advice. My gut feeling is to let things be if I already have the 800k baht in the bank.

Yes can do if you have the 40,000Baht a month income.

If you can stay with the 800,000 Baht retirement option it would be a lot easier.

I am a Brit male and have had a Thai retirement visa for the past 7 years. I married a Thai 2 years ago and seek advice on changing my retirement visa to a marriage one. Apart from having to show 400k baht in the bank instead of double that and producing my marriage certificate are there any other documents I must have in addition to the usual? Secondly, if I have the 800k in the bank am I better to leave things as they are?

400k in the bank is not an option for new applications. They discontinued it. Now it is 40K/month family income. Proof of the 40K/month would be either from a letter from your embassy if it is your income from outside Thailand, or tax documents if it is income from Thailand.

Edited by jstumbo

If you meet the financial requirements of 800K, or an income of more than 65K per month, or a combination of the two - this is the easiest and quickest option.

If you can no longer meet the financial requirements for an extension of stay based on retirement then an extension based on marriage is an option. However, 400K in the bank in no longer an option for new applicants. You must now show a monthly income, can be joint income, of more than 40K per month. Moreover, you may need further supporting documents and photographs, plus home visits from Immigration, to provide the necessary assurances that you are indeed married. Finally, it make take up to three months to get the extension of stay stamped in your passport. The extension of stay based on retirement is done straight away.

Stay as you are - much better and easier. :o

Stay on the retirement visa if you can. As said previously the 400,000 baht in the bank option is no longer an option. An American friend of mine just got a marriage visa at the Korat office and since his wife does not work they want to see proof in a Thai bank account of at least 40,000 baht transfers each month. He has to return in 3 months to show proof.

Confusing....

Does this 40k per month requirement apply only if you are dealing with Thai immigration ?

I just get last week one year multiple non-imm O from singapore based on marriage and 400k balance overseas...

What prevents me to get new one from Singapore after this expires?

And if i need to show 40k per month income, can it be overseas income ie not coming to Thailand monthly?

Hope someone could clarify this, so many conflicting information around these forums.

the 40k family income applies only to one year extensions of stay inside Thailand (obtained from Immigration) on the basis of marriage.

It has nothing to do with multi entry non immigrant O visas. Consulates will set there rules for issue - which may be a marriage certificate + copy of wife ID card + other things such as a bank account or copy of home register of spouse or letter from spouse asking for visa to be issued.

Currently Singapore is unique using the 400k bank account anywhere in world as a rule for issue. If they do not change that policy there is no reason you can not obtain a new visa next time.

The OP is already on a retirement visa and may not want to travel every three months.

He also appears to be using the money in the bank route, not income.

My advice is to stay on the Retirement Visa.

Renewal is just about automatic, which cannot be said for the Marriage option.