Bars Closed 22nd, 23rd & 29th February

Given that Thursday and Friday are an important Buddhist date - Makha Bucha, I would think they'd be shut - or should be.

To miss the bars for a day or two for Buddha ain't so bad, it is a Buddhist country, can go get some beer and drink on the beach or on the mountain or at home.

I found some info about these holiday on the web, for your reading pleasure here it be courtesy of www chiangmai-chiangrai com:

Makha Bucha, is celebrated on night of the full moon of the third lunar month, which usually corresponds to February, and is an observance of two unexpected events in the Buddha's forty-four years of teaching which occurred on the same day. (February 29 is the day of observance in 2002.) The first occurred nine months after the Buddha had been expounding his doctrine for seven months only. Of his 1,340 disciples, 1,250 of them the Buddha laid down the three main principles of his religion in the Patimokka, of the 'monk way', which crystallize the wisdom of all the Buddhas that came before. These are :-

1. Give up evil and refrain from sinning.
    2. Cultivate good - and make merit
    3. Cleanse one's mind.

He also admonished his disciples to be good teachers to the laity based on the following precepts :-

1. The second unusual event occurred on the same day forty-five years later. The Buddha foresaw that due to the state of his health his attainment of Nirvana, or escape from the cycle of rebirths, was approaching within three months. On that day, he formulated and preached his Dhamma about the responsibility of an individual or organization. These are that a person should:

1. On the three lunar holy days which include Makha Bucha Thai Buddhists gather at the temple at sunset to Wian Tian, or to circumambulate the Bhote, or the major religious structure in the temple complex where monks are ordained, while holding a lighted candle, temple building are people's way of showing respect to what is called the "triple gem", which is the Buddha himself, his teachings and doctrines, and the monk hood he founded.

2. enjoy work or responsibility,
  3. be diligent in work,
  4. concentrate on the job while working,
  5. check all unfinished work thoroughly.

They should be patient
They should teach the laity to be peaceful
They should be optimistic and not offend others.
They should reach goodness in correct ways.
They should be disciplined
They should be humble
They should concentrate on doing useful things.

Given that Thursday and Friday are an important Buddhist date - Makha Bucha, I would think they'd be shut - or should be.

To miss the bars for a day or two for Buddha ain't so bad, it is a Buddhist country, can go get some beer and drink on the beach or on the mountain or at home.

I found some info about these holiday on the web, for your reading pleasure here it be courtesy of www chiangmai-chiangrai com:

Makha Bucha, is celebrated on night of the full moon of the third lunar month, which usually corresponds to February, and is an observance of two unexpected events in the Buddha's forty-four years of teaching which occurred on the same day. (February 29 is the day of observance in 2002.) The first occurred nine months after the Buddha had been expounding his doctrine for seven months only. Of his 1,340 disciples, 1,250 of them the Buddha laid down the three main principles of his religion in the Patimokka, of the 'monk way', which crystallize the wisdom of all the Buddhas that came before. These are :-

1. Give up evil and refrain from sinning.
    2. Cultivate good - and make merit
    3. Cleanse one's mind.

He also admonished his disciples to be good teachers to the laity based on the following precepts :-

1. The second unusual event occurred on the same day forty-five years later. The Buddha foresaw that due to the state of his health his attainment of Nirvana, or escape from the cycle of rebirths, was approaching within three months. On that day, he formulated and preached his Dhamma about the responsibility of an individual or organization. These are that a person should:

1. On the three lunar holy days which include Makha Bucha Thai Buddhists gather at the temple at sunset to Wian Tian, or to circumambulate the Bhote, or the major religious structure in the temple complex where monks are ordained, while holding a lighted candle, temple building are people's way of showing respect to what is called the "triple gem", which is the Buddha himself, his teachings and doctrines, and the monk hood he founded.

You are way of the mark it is due to local elections, Buddha day was yesterday and was observwd by about 50% of bars.

2. enjoy work or responsibility,
  3. be diligent in work,
  4. concentrate on the job while working,
  5. check all unfinished work thoroughly.

They should be patient
They should teach the laity to be peaceful
They should be optimistic and not offend others.
They should reach goodness in correct ways.
They should be disciplined
They should be humble
They should concentrate on doing useful things.

Does anyone know for sure what the opening hours are over these weekends. I have asked the police but they dont seem to know. :o

"I have asked the police but they dont seem to know"

some bars will open allbeit un official, but ya big hotels resorts should be fine, most normal bars will be the same as below (i think)

it would seem, all thailand

starting today 22 02 at 6pm, bars to be closed

all day tommorow sat 23 closed

all day sun 24th closed untill midnight

then next weekend

Saturday 1st march closed all day

Sunday 2nd closed all day till midnight

its on another thread at mo so if anything you find to the contary, go to that thread

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;#entry1830165

cheers

chris

Does anyone know for sure what the opening hours are over these weekends. I have asked the police but they dont seem to know. :o

"I have asked the police but they dont seem to know"

some bars will open allbeit un official, but ya big hotels resorts should be fine, most normal bars will be the same as below (i think)

it would seem, all thailand

starting today 22 02 at 6pm, bars to be closed

all day tommorow sat 23 closed

all day sun 24th closed untill midnight

then next weekend

Saturday 1st march closed all day

Sunday 2nd closed all day till midnight

its on another thread at mo so if anything you find to the contary, go to that thread

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;#entry1830165

cheers

chris

Its elections for the Senate both this weekend (for Thais voting away from home) and next (for Thais voting at home).

Fullmoon Party in Hadrin (Koh Phangan) postponed to the 24th :D a completely booked out island is waiting 2 day's for the event to come! It was announced for the 22nd until yesterday :D

no comment

Sunday forecast is rain, it will be a party to remember :o

not sure why the bar close down, if they cannot seel alchool there is always coca and analchoolic beer :D ....

Fullmoon Party in Hadrin (Koh Phangan) postponed to the 24th :D a completely booked out island is waiting 2 day's for the event to come! It was announced for the 22nd until yesterday :D

no comment

Sunday forecast is rain, it will be a party to remember :o

not sure why the bar close down, if they cannot seel alchool there is always coca and analchoolic beer :D ....

Through which opening are you getting that into your system ? :D

not sure why the bar close down, if they cannot seel alchool there is always coca and analchoolic beer :o ....

Through which opening are you getting that into your system ? :D

That was good :D .

English is not my native language.

ok, non-alcoholic; alcohol-free beer.

i wonder if the new govenment will pay our bar rents next month

If you are playing it that close to the bone, then I'd be starting to think of an exit strategy.

that comment was said in jest mark,i've been open selling soft drinks :o