Satit School

TheAceFace

Thanks for the positive comments guy's.

Good to know your kids are enjoying their time there also.

Will move my son there this coming term.

Are you not going to speak to the teachers and check their qualifications and discuss the curriculum etc. etc. :o

Satit HAS a curriculum?? :D

Is that meant to be clever? As a teacher I would have expected more, you have just given many parents a reason not to take thier children to Best, this is exactly the sort of attitude and environment I do not want my children in. And you are exactly the type of teacher I do not want educating my children.

Try being possitive rather than trying to be clever and instead sounding ignorant.

First of all Mr Chanman..............it is meant to be a bit " tongue in cheek " . You fail to see that.

However, we currently have 2 teachers here who worked at Satit before. As they say...............lots of beautiful things there, but not a great deal of learning goes on.

My tongue in cheek attitude has nothing to do with teaching abilities. You sir..............are being a little too sensitive.

A Time and a Place and this is neither, people asking serious questions on matters they care dearly about, thier children, and you one who is trusted to look after them 7 hours a day 5 days a week think it is something to be taken lighty, says a lot to me.

Sure. It says some teachers have a sense of humour. And how on earth does a tongue in cheek attitude reflect on care of children?

Out of curiosity........genuinely....... what is the defined curriculum at Satit?

This is helpful to posters..........they need to know what the aims and objectives of the school are? As you are a parent there then perhaps you could explain for the benefit of all the people who are enquiring.

Edited by stevemiddie

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In that case you might want to consider Merrywit instead. I think they're miles ahead of Aksorn as a "pure Thai" school.

Where is Merrywit?

I am in South Pattaya, Aksorn (off Soi Korpai) is only a few hundred metres from my home.

If you are comparing with Aksorn Naklua, then it is not of interest to me - although other TV members may be interested, as some have kids in Aksorn Naklua.

Are you not going to speak to the teachers and check their qualifications and discuss the curriculum etc. etc. :o

Is that meant to be clever? As a teacher I would have expected more, you have just given many parents a reason not to take thier children to Best, this is exactly the sort of attitude and environment I do not want my children in. And you are exactly the type of teacher I do not want educating my children.

Try being possitive rather than trying to be clever and instead sounding ignorant.

First of all Mr Chanman..............it is meant to be a bit " tongue in cheek " . You fail to see that.

However, we currently have 2 teachers here who worked at Satit before. As they say...............lots of beautiful things there, but not a great deal of learning goes on.

My tongue in cheek attitude has nothing to do with teaching abilities. You sir..............are being a little too sensitive.

A Time and a Place and this is neither, people asking serious questions on matters they care dearly about, thier children, and you one who is trusted to look after them 7 hours a day 5 days a week think it is something to be taken lighty, says a lot to me.

Sure. It says some teachers have a sense of humour. And how on earth does a tongue in cheek attitude reflect on care of children?

Out of curiosity........genuinely....... what is the defined curriculum at Satit?

This is helpful to posters..........they need to know what the aims and objectives of the school are? As you are a parent there then perhaps you could explain for the benefit of all the people who are enquiring.

Good idea I will ask them if I can post maybe you can do the same for Best.

Its not the sense of humor but the fact you think that this topic is deserving of your humor. It gives the impression you do not take education and and the fact that people care about their children's education seriously. Perhaps you should think before you post.

In that case you might want to consider Merrywit instead. I think they're miles ahead of Aksorn as a "pure Thai" school.

Where is Merrywit?

I am in South Pattaya, Aksorn (off Soi Korpai) is only a few hundred metres from my home.

If you are comparing with Aksorn Naklua, then it is not of interest to me - although other TV members may be interested, as some have kids in Aksorn Naklua.

Merrywit is a quite big Thai catholic school in Banglamung, north of Naklua, east of Sukhumvit. I've only been there once so can't remember the precise location but friends' children go there and the competition pressure and amount of homework these kids have is unbelievable!!

Edited by Phil Conners

Its not the sense of humor but the fact you think that this topic is deserving of your humor. It gives the impression you do not take education and and the fact that people care about their children's education seriously. Perhaps you should think before you post.

It sounds to me as if you have an axe to grind with this teacher :D .

You don,t know? Oh.

Why would you have to ask the school if you can post?

If you are advising people on Satit school then the least you can do is state what its curriculum and objectives are? :D

Well................B.E.S.T has 3...............Anuban, Prathom and Senior. Same objectives though. On top of that there are seperate teachers curriculum.....which we have to do because some parts of specific course books are not relevant to the children in Thailand.

Some people think teachers should be seen and not heard. :D

No axe never met him.

You don,t know? Oh.

If you are advising people on Satit school then the least you can do is state what its curriculum and objectives are? :o

Well................B.E.S.T has 3...............Anuban, Prathom and Senior. Same objectives though. On top of that there are seperate teachers curriculum.....which we have to do because some parts of specific course books are not relevant to the children in Thailand.

I of course would like to ensure what I post is in fact correct as I am not a teacher, hence I will confirm for you when at the school tomorrow.

I am not advising anyone to go to Sattit, merely passing on my first hand experiences, my advise has always been go speak with the teachers as I did, I actually advised someone on another thread to check out Best as well against other peoples advice.

I am not biased in anyway against Best, as far as I am concerned Sattit is a better option for my children at this point of the education.

Education involves a lot more than a curriculum, facilities, teachers, environment, and behavior are but just a few things that need to be taken into account on top of the curriculum. I would expect teachers to be aware of this if they have had proper teacher training.

You don,t know? Oh.

If you are advising people on Satit school then the least you can do is state what its curriculum and objectives are? :o

I of course would like to ensure what I post is in fact correct as I am not a teacher, hence I will confirm for you when at the school tomorrow.

I am not advising anyone to go to Sattit, merely passing on my first hand experiences, my advise has always been go speak with the teachers as I did, I actually advised someone on another thread to check out Best as well against other peoples advice.

I am not biased in anyway against Best, as far as I am concerned Sattit is a better option for my children at this point of the education.

Education involves a lot more than a curriculum, facilities, teachers, environment, and behavior are but just a few things that need to be taken into account on top of the curriculum. I would expect teachers to be aware of this if they have had proper teacher training.

Sarcasm. Lowest form of wit.

I am not a qualified UK teacher ?

I was interviewd by phone at Satit....I turned them down. 1 year ago.

I agree the facilties at Satit are superior. No doubt.

If parents judged B.E.S.T on facilties alone..............the school would probably be empty. No doubt.

I am happy that your children are enjoying themselves. That is important. Point is...........a teachers role is to educate. Facilties are down to school owners and management. Or do you disagree?

B.E.S.T may be lacking in some facilties............but they do have a clear objective and the curriculum reflects that.

Correct me if I,m wrong....but wasn,t B.E.S.T school graded no.1 on the Eastern Seaboard for its EP last year? By the MoE?

You will be aware of course that all schools in the Chonburi region are currently undergoing grading exams in order to determine the top performers? In line with MoE requirements? I believe B.E.S.T will score highly again. We shall see.

I can only speak about what some ex-Satit teachers have stated..........that the curriculum is confused.

As a parent, I would not be brainwashed by wonderful facilties and environment alone. I would question the academia also. ( That word is derived from Greek ) but hey.....what would I know.........I,m not a teacher right?

When you state in your earlier posts that you would not want any of the B.E.S.T parents to send their children to that school.......you open yourself to responses such as this.

Children being happy is important, but it is not paramount. I could take my students outside and play tic-tac-toe all day, along with football and hide and seek. Will they be happy? SURE ! But they learn what?? Teamwork? Interactivity? Sure.

Knowledge? Doubtful. Math? Zilch. Grammar? Errrrrrrrrrrr. No.

You don,t even know what the curriculum is. Social studies? What social studies are they learning?

I will admit............the social studies at B.E.S.T are errrrrrrrrrrrrrr not good. Hence why teachers develop their own curriculum. I mean..........what interest is it to children about the Brighton seaside 50 years ago? Thats in our books. We binned it. Now they learn about the importance of oil, what countries produce this? Is it a finite resource or an infinite resource? Blah blah blah.

What are they teaching your children? You don,t know because you don,t even know the curriculum, the objectives, the philosophy or the method of teaching. And thats a fact.

You go ahead and ask the school................before you come out with sarcastic and unfounded comments.

If parents judged B.E.S.T on facilties alone..............the school would probably be empty. No doubt.

I am happy that your children are enjoying themselves. That is important. Point is...........a teachers role is to educate. Facilties are down to school owners and management. Or do you disagree?

B.E.S.T may be lacking in some facilties............but they do have a clear objective and the curriculum reflects that.

Correct me if I,m wrong....but wasn,t B.E.S.T school graded no.1 on the Eastern Seaboard for its EP last year? By the MoE?

You will be aware of course that all schools in the Chonburi region are currently undergoing grading exams in order to determine the top performers? In line with MoE requirements? I believe B.E.S.T will score highly again. We shall see.

I can only speak about what some ex-Satit teachers have stated..........that the curriculum is confused.

As a parent, I would not be brainwashed by wonderful facilties and environment alone. I would question the academia also. ( That word is derived from Greek ) but hey.....what would I know.........I,m not a teacher right?

When you state in your earlier posts that you would not want any of the B.E.S.T parents to send their children to that school.......you open yourself to responses such as this.

Children being happy is important, but it is not paramount. I could take my students outside and play tic-tac-toe all day, along with football and hide and seek. Will they be happy? SURE ! But they learn what?? Teamwork? Interactivity? Sure.

You don,t even know what the curriculum is. Social studies? What social studies are they learning?

I will admit............the social studies at B.E.S.T are errrrrrrrrrrrrrr not good. Hence why teachers develop their own curriculum. I mean..........what interest is it to children about the Brighton seaside 50 years ago? Thats in our books. We binned it. Now they learn about the importance of oil, what countries produce this? Is it a finite resource or an infinite resource? Blah blah blah.

What are they teaching your children? You don,t know because you don,t even know the curriculum, the objectives, the philosophy or the method of teaching. And thats a fact.

You go ahead and ask the school................before you come out with sarcastic and unfounded comments.

Are you basing the majority of your opinions on Satit based on what two ex teachers told you?

Edited by JimmyTheMook

You don,t know? Oh.

Did you actually read my post?

facilities, teachers, environment, and behavior are but just a few things that need to be taken into account on top of the curriculum

Did I say you were not a qualified teacher?

No I stated I would not want ALL.

Please if you want to pick a fight which you seem intent on doing since you called my comments stupid at least get the facts right.

Since when did the English language use ................

I will post the curriculum later for those intrested in knowing but will not get into further arguments with you as it serves no good for either school and they both deserve better.

Edited by chanman

Where is Merrywit?

Merrywit is a quite big Thai catholic school in Banglamung, north of Naklua, east of Sukhumvit. I've only been there once so can't remember the precise location but friends' children go there and the competition pressure and amount of homework these kids have is unbelievable!!

The school is called Maryvit.

I though that I was the World's greatest nitpicker, but no, you take the biscuit Mr. Westerner!!!

"Maryvit", "Merrywit", "Mairywit" or whatever. Any of these are acceptable.....they are just romanised transcriptions of the pronunciation of the name in Thai.

I though that I was the World's greatest nitpicker, but no, you take the biscuit Mr. Westerner!!!

"Maryvit", "Merrywit", "Mairywit" or whatever. Any of these are acceptable.....they are just romanised transcriptions of the pronunciation of the name in Thai.

Wow - who got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning :o . I thought, if by any chance, he might want to look at the website then he needs to know the correct spelling. :D . Calm down now please. :D

facilities, teachers, environment, and behavior are but just a few things that need to be taken into account on top of the curriculum

What other things are there?

What other things are there? ......Too many to mention. How about the following for starters? Student stimulation, talent identification and policy for gifted students, teacher development programmes, community involvement (two-way), school track record (student success rate). I could go on.

Looking at just two of these. I have seen only BEST children staging shows for the community at various times of the year e.g. on Mother's Day and at Christmas time, both at Carrefour and at Big C in South Pattaya. The performers were enthusiastic, confident and stimulated and the public enjoyed these performances.

Wow - who got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning :o . I thought, if by any chance, he might want to look at the website then he needs to know the correct spelling. :D . Calm down now please. :D

Hi Mr. Westerner, I never get out of the wrong side of the bed on any morning!!! You made a very good point about using a specific spelling to look for the website. He'll need to be able to read Thai like a native though!!!!

However, I do like the calendar clock on the website home page....very nifty. Take a look.

The method of teaching at Satit is to take the kids outside and let them run around. Or, if it is too hot, then the kids can stay inside the classroom and run around.

Some additional aspects of the curriculum at Satit:

1 popular activity is for the kids to toss bottle caps around the room and create a bottle cap snow storm. I am sure this will get them into an Ivy League one day.

Another popular activity is to beat the other kids. I am sure this behavior is good for their TOEFL exam preparations.

They also employ the Montessori method of using the 5 senses to stimulate the kids. However, they forgot the most important factor of this style of teaching. They forgot to put any materials, games, objects, or Montessori materials in the classrooms. Instead, all they have in the rooms are chairs and a chalkboard.

What is the curriculum????? They don't have one.

Another time, they filmed the foreign teachers during their lessons and then used the footage at a Thai only parents meeting to humiliate them and fire them. After that, they hired 6 Filippino teachers at half of the salary. The parents were not too pleased to see all of the white folks gone because that was a key consideration for spending their tuition dollars. Then, the 6 Filippinos all quit after one semester because of the horrible behavior and lack of any books, materials, curriculum, tests, or anything else that resembled a school.

These are facts that you can take to the bank!!! Facts, not stories.

Edited by innovator

What other things are there?

What other things are there? ......Too many to mention. How about the following for starters? Student stimulation, talent identification and policy for gifted students, teacher development programmes, community involvement (two-way), school track record (student success rate). I could go on.

Jeeeeez. Student stimulation? That comes under...." teachers and facilties " Talent identification? Teachers again. ( I recommended two students for more advanced math )

Teacher development programmes? Isn,t that always ongoing?

Community comes under environment ( in relation to schools along with socio-economic groups and a myriad of other stuff )

Student success rate? What........teachers don,t keep track of that?

All of the above are sub-headings under the main topics of Facilties, Teachers, Environment, Behaviour, Curriculum and objectives.

Edited by stevemiddie

Another time, they filmed the foreign teachers during their lessons and then used the footage at a Thai only parents meeting to humiliate them and fire them.

Where did you get this fact from ?

Sounds like BS.

Hi Mr. Westerner, I never get out of the wrong side of the bed on any morning!!! You made a very good point about using a specific spelling to look for the website. He'll need to be able to read Thai like a native though!!!!

However, I do like the calendar clock on the website home page....very nifty. Take a look.

Sir

I do believe he has a Thai wife who, hopefully, can interpret for him :D .

I rather like the calendar clock myself (and the pen) :D

• 2 weeks later...

Having worked at Satit for one semester I can tell you now that I would not recommend sending your children there. The turnover of staff is horrendous - 23 foreign teachers left the school during this school year.

I think that statistic alone should ring enough alarm bells.

Another time, they filmed the foreign teachers during their lessons and then used the footage at a Thai only parents meeting to humiliate them and fire them.

JIMMYTHEMOOK WROTE: "Where did you get this fact from" ?

Sounds like BS.

My friend was in the video clip!!! NOT B.S. I think they will refuse to show this video clip in the new marketing program to attract new parents.

Also, I am sure they will deny this too, as they don't want to give up your precious tuition dollars.