Stopping Smoking And Booze

torrenova

I've stopped as many times as I've had cigarettes, except when chain smoking and I've had some moderate success.

Met a girl about 20 years ago who was a nurse and didn't smoke and stopped there and then, half way through a night, even with cigarettes in my pocket which I said I was holding for my mate ! Stayed off for 9 months until we split up.

No other time comes close. Most of my life it didn't matter and I'll be honest, I like somking and if I was on my own, I would not even consider stopping but I am not so there you are.

I'm off for 6 days again and I want to know how I can have a beer withtout needing, nevermind wanting, a cigarette ? This I cannot do. In my 9 month stint, I only ever had about 4 beers then went home as I could not cope. Trouble is that I love my beer.

So how do you keep off the weed and still have a beer ? Can't give up the beer, I'd rather smoke than give it up.

That is a Major problem Torrenova,

I only used to smoke when I had a beer, I gave up drinking for over 4 years and never had one cigarette, I started drinking again and luckily never went back to cigarettes. I was never a big smoker, only when I had a beer, so maybe it wasn't a big deal for me, I was never a guy that lit up first thing in the morning etc.

Maybe the only way is to give up the Beer for a while, get on a Forum thread that slags off smokers and see what happens.

But you don't wanna stop the beer, so looks like you're stumped.

I know it's tough, good luck anyway. :o

The effects of drinking and stress upon our body's nicotine level are the same. You smoke more when you drink not because you "like" to but because you MUST in order to keep your body's nicotine level within the comfort range, so that it does not experience the symptoms of early withdrawal. When you drink alcohol it causes your urine to become acidic. The acid causes nicotine to be drawn from your blood at an accelerated rate. Thus, the more you drink, the more nicotine you'll need to ingest to avoid the anxiety of early withdrawal. Although early alcohol use contributes to destroying a great many quit attempts, understanding the nicotine-acid relationship can be of benefit in accelerating physical nicotine withdrawal so that quitters can begin feeling relief sooner. Acidic fruit juices, such as cranberry, may help reduce the normal 72 hours of withdrawal required to remove all nicotine from the blood. If at all possible, don't drink during the first few days of your quit. When you do decide to drink, drink at home without cigarettes around before testing your resolve around smokers. By doing so you'll help to break the your mind's psychological link between smoking and drinking, with as little risk as possible. As millions of ex-smokers can attest, your beer or drinks will taste better than ever once your taste buds are allowed an opportunity to heal.

Source www.whyquit.com

Try this.

When in the bar take note and guage how much smoke your smoking buddies exhale with each drag. You will be amazed how much stays within their body. Be proud of yourself for not poisoning your body in the same way.