Question For Joggers

Recently incorporated jogging into my fitness program and have a question for the experienced runners out there.

Why does running on a treadmill seem so much easier than acutally doing roadwork ?

I have no problem doing 30 minutes on a treadmill but am nearly dead after 10 minutes on an actual road.

What is the difference ?

I'm not a runner but a very keen cyclist. However sometimes riding is not an option so i resort to running. When i run on a treadmill there is no wind resistance, the running surface is perfectly smooth and speed is constant. So i can get into a rhythm and stay there. The big problem with this is boredom. Running on the road, country, desert or wherever is far more interesting as there are visual distractions, changes in elevation, (up and down, no treadmill i have ever seen can have a negative gradient), and changes in running surface. I can run a max of 5 km on a treadmill before i have to give up through lack of interest but i can spend more time running in "real" conditions.

Why does running on a treadmill seem so much easier than acutally doing roadwork ?

Are you serious? On the treadmill, the gound conveniently MOVES UNDER YOUR FEET! Running on non-moving ground means your muscles (hamies and glutes to pull, calves and quads to push) have to do all the hard work to get YOU moving. More work means higher heart rate means harder cardio.

There is no point running on a treadmill unless its at least on some sort of incline. Probably from 2 upwards I would think.

Recently incorporated jogging into my fitness program and have a question for the experienced runners out there.

I have no problem doing 30 minutes on a treadmill but am nearly dead after 10 minutes on an actual road.

What is the difference ?

What a coincidence. I have done the same and just today asked this same question to a former world class runner (who is still multiples faster than I ever will be). He said on the treadmill you constantly go at the same speed while outdoors your speed varies all the time with much more wear and tear on your body.

Since it is easier, I run longer and get the same benefit without the wear and tear. For me, the treadmill is the only way to go.

Are you serious? On the treadmill, the gound conveniently MOVES UNDER YOUR FEET! Running on non-moving ground means your muscles (hamies and glutes to pull, calves and quads to push) have to do all the hard work to get YOU moving. More work means higher heart rate means harder cardio.

There is no point running on a treadmill unless its at least on some sort of incline. Probably from 2 upwards I would think.

Thats makes sense.

So is less wear and tear and pounding on the ankles and knees better in the long run ?

Well maybe better for your knees and ankles in the long run but don't you want to get fit?

Getting fit is hard. It takes hard work. It is not a nice feeling to be f**ked and not able to breathe but if you aint sweatin and knackered, you're wasting your time. (just my opinion).

Anyway, is running on a treadmill much softer then the ground outside? Maybe a little bit but get good shoes and you should be fine unless you are clocking up 50kms a day.

Well maybe better for your knees and ankles in the long run but don't you want to get fit?

Getting fit is hard. It takes hard work. It is not a nice feeling to be f**ked and not able to breathe but if you aint sweatin and knackered, you're wasting your time. (just my opinion).

Anyway, is running on a treadmill much softer then the ground outside? Maybe a little bit but get good shoes and you should be fine unless you are clocking up 50kms a day.

After 30 min on a treadmill I am covered in sweat and think attained the aerobic effect desired.

Runnng outdoors is more of a challenge to me.

One super huge reason to run indoors on a treadmill in Bangkok is that the air quality outdoors is not all that good (understatement!). I used to run in Lumpini, but quit when I realized I could actually see the air I was breathing.

You don't run to get fit. You have to be fit to run.

Jogging is very hard on the joints especially if the person is overweight or jogging outside on the Thai concrete roads. A fast walk will bring about the same benefits without the injuries.

For the fit already, running for 40, 60, 100, 200, 400, or 800 meter sprints is far better than steady-state long distance running. Doing long bouts of low intensity activity makes the body less efficient and less strong. Don't believe me? Look at the bodies of marathon runners (sickly, high body fat, low muscle mass) verses sprinters (lean and muscular).

I am not saying slow steady-state cardio has no place in fitness. For instance, it can work as a recovery method or to increase general physical activity time without taxing the CNS. But it is poor for improving body composition or performance and carries a high rate of repetitive stress injuries.

Running will of course get you fit if you stick at it and start small and increase your distance / intensity gradually. Crazy to say it won't.

But I am also a fan of aerobic fitness (interval training / circuits) rather than anaerobic fitness (jogging). Better results in shorter time span. Unless you are training for a marathon.