Advance Train Tickets From Bangkok To Chiang Mai?

gary and kids

I see they book in USD but how are their prices compared to going there yuorself and paying the going rate ?

Gotta be honest, dunno.

I neva bought at station.

I book everything online before leaving home, as a rule.

Have a look when you go thru, post back here, be very interesting to know.

If you need to book in advance, and go straight to train, from airport, why worry.

Not worth the hassle of queueing and finding seats you want are not avilable, for when you wish to travel.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/Web+Services/Rates/FX+Rates.htm, check here for nexact rates.

Rule of thumb, 30 Baht to $US1.00

Edited by Zpete

• 3 weeks later...

Those Thai focus tickets are really expensive.

I've called hualumpong to try to book tickets for the 10th of April. They're saying trains are full. Yes, I know it's new year and I've left it far too late... I'm wondering, though, do travel agents buy up blocks of tickets and then sell them in offices around khao san road or some other touristy area? Is it possible that I could find tickets another way than just through the train station?

Those Thai focus tickets are really expensive.

I've called hualumpong to try to book tickets for the 10th of April. They're saying trains are full. Yes, I know it's new year and I've left it far too late... I'm wondering, though, do travel agents buy up blocks of tickets and then sell them in offices around khao san road or some other touristy area? Is it possible that I could find tickets another way than just through the train station?

I think you can always buy 3rd class tickets and stand all the way. I was 'lucky' enough to get 3rd class seats to Nong Khai,Songkran, last year, but it was hardly possible to leave your seat to go to the toilet because off all the people crammed standing in the aisles!!

It's Songkhran festival, trains are already booked out.

WCA

Yeah, you might have noticed in my post that I mentioned I know it's new year. :o

No problem after all. Hubby called in a favour from an old tour agent mate of his and we've got 2nd class aircon sleeper seats on the 12th. :D

When I called hualumpong last night they said there were 3rd class seats, but we've been there and done that and now we have kids ... thank god it's worked out in the end. The agency charges a commission fee, but it only works out to about 100 baht per ticket.