Need Some Information

dennis13

hi guy's

i am coming to thailand next month on a tourist visa, i will stay in my thai gf home.

i want to buy me a car in thailand and i wonder iff i need any papers to do so.

i have the cash the drivers licents and the tourist visa.

my gf lives in thailand so i can use her adress iff i need one.

do i need something more, i want the car on my name?

grtz dennis

hi guy's

i am coming to thailand next month on a tourist visa, i will stay in my thai gf home.

grtz dennis

You can't register a car in your own name on a tourist visa. Save yourself a lot of money and grief and rent a car this time then if and when you're here long enough to sort out a non-immigrant visa you can re-visit the car idea.

You can't register a car in your own name on a tourist visa. Save yourself a lot of money and grief and rent a car this time then if and when you're here long enough to sort out a non-immigrant visa you can re-visit the car idea.

I have registered 2 cars in my name with just a 30 day entry stamp, you need a letter from Immigration stating your address.

These letters are actually free, but places like Pattaya charge you for them.

Everyone keeps saying these letters are free!!!

How the hel_l do you get one!!??

I have tried on several occasions and come up blank at all times resulting in me having to goto the Embassy and have to pay a rediculous amount for a letter!!

Even paying immigration for a letter must be cheaper than the EMbassy!!

Edited by Murf

Well as with most things in LOS I guess it depends where you are, who you see, what they had for breakfast and how much you pay them. :o

Until last month Chiang Mai immigration was doing the Residence Certificate for free but for some time now they've insisted on "a year visa" which is a bit imprecise but I saw several people turned away on that basis and a friend had to resort to treating someone on the other side of the desk to a cup of tea. However, since the start of February they have apparantly stopped issuing RC's all together ("too much demand" no, really) and sent me off the the British Consulate for a very expensive letter in order to get my new bike registered. At this very moment(ish) my Yamaha dealer is trying to persuade the licensing office to accept my "old" certificate which is dated November along with my lease, the landlords dog and what have you. We'll see if that works but don't assume that you can just get these for free any longer.

All that said, my advice to the OP was based on what I perceive as a wider view of his situation and although I might be completely wrong it does sound as if he's heading into a spot where he'll be forced into buying a car in his g/f's name which is not what he intends, according to his post.

Rent now, buy later, stay happy.

Edited by Greenside

I have tried on several occasions and come up blank at all times resulting in me having to goto the Embassy and have to pay a rediculous amount for a letter!!

Jomtien ( Pattaya ) Immigration Office = 200 Baht

Chiang Khan Immigration Office , Loei = Free

Jomtien ( Pattaya ) Immigration Office = 200 Baht

Chiang Khan Immigration Office , Loei = Free

Now i do agree, with the fact they are free.. BUT when i've attempted to ask for one in Bangkok Suan Plu.. few years back, even with a non-imm, visa. i was given some s#ite of having to do 90 days reporting first (to 'qualify' for letter).. To cut the story short, in no time i've realised, that paying almost 2000 baht to the British embassy was THE ONLY way to get it ..

But on the other hand i don't remember them(embassy) checking whether i had any visa, or where i lived, just go there to register & tell them , where you live in Thailand

hi guy's

grtz dennis

Go down to your GF's local Amphur or police station. Take tambien baan{house reg.} Offer a small tip afterwards.

i've attempted to ask for one in Bangkok Suan Plu.. few years back, even with a non-imm, visa. i was given some s#ite of having to do 90 days reporting first (to 'qualify' for letter).. To cut the story short, in no time i've realised, that paying almost 2000 baht to the British embassy was THE ONLY way to get it ..

But on the other hand i don't remember them(embassy) checking whether i had any visa, or where i lived, just go there to register & tell them , where you live in Thailand

Same story... the embassy do not need any proof... which is very silly.

It's just a money making swindle!!!