Driving In Laos

crab

I am tempted by the idea of driving from Nong Kai to Vientiane, Van Vieng and Luang Prabang. My car's a 3-year-old Honda Jazz.

I'm wondering whether anyone here has recent experience of these roads. I'm quite comfortable driving around Thailand, but I'm not sure what those Laotian roads are like now. Grateful for all comments, suggestions and information.

You need to get insurance when you cross the border. Other than that all you need to worry about is remembering to drive on the right side!

Go for the trip, it will be great fun. Remember to stick to the main roads as your car might not be too happy on a dirt track.

Edited by madjbs

The road you propose to drive, Route 13, is one of the most scenic drives in Asia. While it's twisty of course - since it's going through a mountainous area - it's a good, well-maintained road with plenty of traffic.

Apart from the fact it is highly unlikely you will have any sort of insurance it's only worth it if you are happy to risk losing the vehicle either by theft or in an accident.

Me?

Not in a million years. Use tuk tuks,air con tour buses or fly.

you get the car insuance on the laos side of the border, and it is underwritten by AIG. The don't let you in without it.

plently of cars go too and fro between the countries these days, owing to the fact of proximity and in many respects, they are the same peoples, albeit with different passsports. The number of Lao plated cars driving around Udon is remarkable, and in Vietiene the number of Thai cars is substantial. Know a couple of people who have done 3 week road tours of laos, no problem

I drove to Wang Wien (the French don't have a W in their alphabet, therefore the V error) last year.

Nice ride, twisty roads.

Be aware that there are no lines painted on the road, people walk, ride bycycles, motor bikes, samlor, Kubota's heading to the fields, sometimes you will meet cars and trucks also :o no road signs neither telling you where you're heading to, luckily just stay on the main road, no other major roads crossing.

I found a very nice hotel in Wang Wien right on the river, probably around 30 USD, easy to find when you find the soi following the river, just look for the best hotel.

Note you will need a pass for your car, can be obtained at Land car registration I think, I got mine stopping by at Nong Kai office, some street on the left before entering town (we asked around at a petrol station)

Edited by tartempion

Actually the name should be romanized as Wieng Chan or Viang Chan, not Wang Wien. It comes from Pali: "The king's grove of sandalwood." As #7 says, Vientiane is a French take on that, but it's become the international standard.

Actually the name should be romanized as Wieng Chan or Viang Chan, not Wang Wien. It comes from Pali: "The king's grove of sandalwood." As #7 says, Vientiane is a French take on that, but it's become the international standard.

Interesting, but I think you are going to find that the poster is probably refering to Vang Vien (as it is spelled on most maps). North on Hwy 13 from Vientiane.

To the OP, I have travelled many times to Laos by motorcycle and twice by truck. Also to Myranmar by truck. Other than getting used to driving on the right hand side of the road with a right hand drive vehicle it is not much different than Thailand. If anything, there are less vehicles on the road once you clear the major cities.

I also strongly disagree with the poster who says the roads are not marked. I find most areas are posted much better than Thailand and almost every sign is in Lao and English and also using many standardized international road signs and markings.

You should also now consider crossing the border (ferry) at Chiang Khong to Huay Xai. The new highway is now finished all the way to Boten at the Chinese border. Near perfect road (with lines and every village name in Lao and English). You can also continue to Luang Pabang and south to Vientiane and home if you want a nice loop.

If you are interested PM me (or check the website in my profile) and I can give you links to many trip reports of recent motorcycle trips and the road conditions. Go and enjoy, it is a great experience.

I am tempted by the idea of driving from Nong Kai to Vientiane, Van Vieng and Luang Prabang. My car's a 3-year-old Honda Jazz.

I'm wondering whether anyone here has recent experience of these roads. I'm quite comfortable driving around Thailand, but I'm not sure what those Laotian roads are like now. Grateful for all comments, suggestions and information.

Hi

My experience driving from Nong Kai to Ventiane last Dec is that those roads are very good, just don't expect to see any direction signs in Lao, Thai or English! I think they navigate by sense of smell :o

TBWG :D

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

We're looking at a bit of trip down to LuangPrabang for a couple of days. We live near Chang Kong but the boss and I are having difficulty getting info.

So far we have a quote of 2500 for the 2 day boat. They wanted to charge me 4100 'till the wife argued em down!

We're also thinking of driving down in our old hilux. But conflicting reports coming in on insurance etc.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

The other thing is accommodation in LP. Any up to date recommendations or warnings. We'd like a decent place, a/c, ensuite etc.

Plus anything else that's recent. We'll reciprocate with a report of the trip when we get back.

Cheers

The road you propose to drive, Route 13, is one of the most scenic drives in Asia. While it's twisty of course - since it's going through a mountainous area - it's a good, well-maintained road with plenty of traffic.

Yes your are right, but if you further than Vang Vien then the adventure starts but very nice sceneries to Oudumxai

we dit this trip with a travel agent Vientiane, Vang Vien, oudomxia to Chinese border in February this year

This trip took us 2.5 day's on the way back we took Air laos which lasted not one hour to vientiane

GDK :o

Edited by gdk

• 2 years later...

YES!!!

I took my 10 year old Honda Civic in 2009 and had a great time. Roads are fine and not much traffic and having ur own car makes it great for stopping where and when u wnat.

same goes for taking ur car to Cambodia.

The ONLY slight trouble u will encounter is passing other cars in front of u.