Must Do Things In Chiang Mai

Governor

We are visiting Chiang Mai over the Songkran weekend, yes I know, and would be grateful for tips on what we must see in the city. We are staying at the Holiday Inn and wasn't intending to rent a car.

Thanks in advance

I'm afraid UG is right, a good time to come if you want to get involved in the water throwing but not to see the sights unless you want to visit these places like you have just stepped out of a shower.

A car and driver would be your best bet and get out early and return late would also be a good idea.

Sorry to put a damper on your plans - no pun intented :o

We are visiting Chiang Mai over the Songkran weekend, yes I know, and would be grateful for tips on what we must see in the city. We are staying at the Holiday Inn and wasn't intending to rent a car.

Thanks in advance

I'm afraid UG is right, a good time to come if you want to get involved in the water throwing but not to see the sights unless you want to visit these places like you have just stepped out of a shower.

A car and driver would be your best bet and get out early and return late would also be a good idea.

Sorry to put a damper on your plans - no pun intented :o

After sunset things dry out for the most part. Don't let the other posts dampen your spirits. :D

Probably what I expected, thanks.

Will find out if I am young at heart or an old grump I suppose.

Why wait have a look, not Chiang Mai but in Kan:-

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Should be the same all over Thailand at this time of the year.

Kan Win :D

P.S. Old, but young enough to brave outside to take these photos with a mate of mine Simon :o

After sunset things dry out for the most part. Don't let the other posts dampen your spirits. :o

All is fair in daylight hours. But then some fucwit scumbag imbecillic tourist or young pseudo expat thinks it's a great joke to throw a bucket of water over someone walking down the street in dry clothes after the sun goes down.

Seen it happen numerous times. Fortunately (for them) I haven't been the victim of this idiotic behaviour.

Several years back during my first Songkran I was going through Trat on my way to Koh Chang. Had no idea what I was in for. Never imagined so many brainless people in one place and my passport was destroyed. So a word to the wise...if you MUST carry your passport during this insanity, keep it inside a couple plastic ziplocks. Nearly a thousand die every year during this madness.

Several years back during my first Songkran I was going through Trat on my way to Koh Chang. Had no idea what I was in for. Never imagined so many brainless people in one place and my passport was destroyed. So a word to the wise...if you MUST carry your passport during this insanity, keep it inside a couple plastic ziplocks. Nearly a thousand die every year during this madness.

Chiang Mai's moat claims a couple every year but the roads sure do a good job of population control.

It's very difficult to see ANYTHING during Songkran other than a weeklong water fight.

The young and young at heart will all be out drinking and throwing water and the old grumps will all be locked inside moaning on the Internet! :D

What will I be, Ulysses G., diving in Sipadan?

Apart, of course, from just as wet as you. :o