Native Chicken Gai Dam

guyshown

My wife (Thai) says that Gai bann means a chicken that is raised running around someones house as opposed to being raise in a cage or in a big commercial setting.....home grown free range chickens. She says that Gai damm is a kind of chicken whose feathers and skin and meat and bone are black...or at least dark colored and that Chinese people make soup from this kind of chicken as medicine. She has never heard of any particular kind of chicken being a native Thai chicken.

I don't know if she is correct about this but these are her ideas.

Chownah

Edited by chownah

Gai Damm - the name stemming from the darker meat they have - yes, they are indigenous, being one of the 2 indigenous Thai chickens reared for consumption - but usualy only in domestic/home settings because they carry less meat on them at maturity. However, geneticaly they also carry considerably less fat lipids.

Same as Gai Baan? Yes, same thing although keep in mind that someone saying they have Gai Baan is more than likely to be refeering to the fact they they have chickens running around at home, than knowingly making a comment about the type of chicken they have.

Gai Dam are not sutiable for commercial battery rearing.

Chownah and Maizefarmer - thank you very much for the help -- Your comments confirmed what i had thought. I have ate Gai Damm before and it is very good tasting and would like to keep a small amount around my house for personal consumption. I do not know off the top of my head where to locate some chicks, i will ask around and see what i come up with. Once again both of your comments is very appreciated. this forum is usefull because of floks liek yourselves

cheers

guyshown

Februarys LIVESTOCK INSIDE MAGAZINE, available in just about any magazine shop has a 4/5 page article with pics this month on a guy commercially raising these. Get your wife to buy a copy & translate the info for you:)

A couple of questions for the forum members;

Is Gai Damm the same as Thai Native Chicken?

Is Gai Bann the same as Gai Damm?

How many clutches a year do the hens lay?

does any one have any pictures to show

thanks in advance

Ok lets confuse the question even more.

Mountain Chicken ??? Very dark, tasty, succulent meat.

Is it just a wild or feral chicken ?

Yes - that has confused the subject!!!!!!

Never heard of a mountain chicken being a distinct type, but there are several types of "wild chickens" - Red Jungle Fowl ( Gai Pa Muang) which you occassionly see around here (but you can never get near them, they run like hel_l when the see a local - while listening for the bang of a black powder gun). Yes, like most wild fowl of any sort - very tasty - you need to hang them for a few days for the meat to soften.

Februarys LIVESTOCK INSIDE MAGAZINE, available in just about any magazine shop has a 4/5 page article with pics this month on a guy commercially raising these. Get your wife to buy a copy & translate the info for you:)

thanks in advance

Thanx- I will check out the article- do you remeber how many clutches a year the hens lay? Im sure it is close to my gaichone....

next question is the man succesful

Chowna-

The silkies meat looks the same but its plumage is not quit what i was thinking..

Thanx again for all the posters

Gai Ba yes read jungle fowl is very "flighty" and dificult to catch-- I have never heard of mountain chicken but would guess it is just a wild jungle fowl

guyshown

silkies are a decorative chicken as far as i know; we raised them for their beauty : red, black, white, gold are the colouorations... not for eating...

our 'black' chickens (baladi - meaning native in arabic) are very difficult to chew!!! but lay eggs every day and a half, dont get eaten up by foxes and such, roost up in trees...

the original chickens came from southeast asia; here they are called 'phoenix' ; i had a really good site will have to look for it again with all the breeds etc...

i think that gai dam is (the way my husband answered clued me in) is like me saying ' baladi chicken i.e. local coloured hardy chickens that are running around in an open coop or in the yard... to differentiate from the red or white layer or meat chickens which are totally useless if they arent fed and housed in a closed coop.

pics anyone....

The guy in the article must be successful to have been featured so strongly, he certainly appears so, having a lovely set up, staff etc.

These chickens are basically born to breed, laying a clutch of eggs then brooding them, laying again when the chicks are independant. Like all chickens, if the eggs are removed for artificial incubation, they will lay more as opposed to stopping & brooding.

Silkies as Bina says are more of a decorative / exhibition breed, have dark / blueish black pigment , not prolific layers with a tendancy to spend most of their time broody.

thanks in advance

Thanx- I will check out the article- do you remeber how many clutches a year the hens lay? Im sure it is close to my gaichone....

next question is the man succesful

Chowna-

The silkies meat looks the same but its plumage is not quit what i was thinking..

Thanx again for all the posters

Gai Ba yes read jungle fowl is very "flighty" and dificult to catch-- I have never heard of mountain chicken but would guess it is just a wild jungle fowl

guyshown

Ok lets confuse the question even more.

Mountain Chicken ??? Very dark, tasty, succulent meat.

Is it just a wild or feral chicken ?

Yes - that has confused the subject!!!!!!

Never heard of a mountain chicken being a distinct type, but there are several types of "wild chickens" - Red Jungle Fowl ( Gai Pa Muang) which you occassionly see around here (but you can never get near them, they run like hel_l when the see a local - while listening for the bang of a black powder gun). Yes, like most wild fowl of any sort - very tasty - you need to hang them for a few days for the meat to soften.

That may be the one because I know my FiL has to lay down traps as they are very difficult to locate.

thanks in advance

I got this:

Gai Damm = Black Chicken (Damm=black)

Gai Bann = House Chicken (Bann=House), chicken running arround the house; also fighting chickens

Gai Paa= Forest Chicken (Paa=Forest), wild chicken, this is probably the native chicken you are looking for.

Best regards, mangofarmer

She says that Gai damm is a kind of chicken whose feathers and skin and meat and bone are black...or at least dark colored and that Chinese people make soup from this kind of chicken as medicine.

Chownah

And that soup is delicious. We used to drive from Chiang Rai to Maesalong for lunch to have "black chicken soup" at the old general's restaurant. I believe the medicine part might be some small herbs they add to the soup .. look sort of like shriveled peanuts.

There as a Norwegian guy in C'rai back in the early 90's who was trying to raise them .. not sure how successful he was.

Edited by klikster