Rubber Tree's

chris21

Hi guy's

Can any one help with good adivse on how to start a Rubber Plantation.

I have 71 Rai up near khon kean and plan to plant Rubber before the rainy season, half the land has not been used for meny years and half was rice fields a couple of years ago.

There is a 30mtr x 30mtr pond right in the middle which still has water in it so water is not a problem, there are Eucliptus trees in the vicinity 200mtrs away,

I plan to turn the land in a few days, and have a few questions, should I fertilize as I turn?

where can I buy the seedling and what type are best? I hear Para 600 are good, also some new hybrid type out??

How do i actually plant them? fertilizer in the hole and then put the seedling in? what fertilizer is best?

are there any books in english that may help

Any info is wellcome Thanks.

Chris

hi,

have a look around your area and try to find some other rubber farmers, and ask them where and what trees they have planted. also have a look around you city and try to find a good fertilzer shop who could advise you on what they think is best for you. everyone has there brand they want to sell.

have the land turned over and if you can add some manure, but again its up to the person. try and claer the land of trees and burn all the cr*p. work out the planting density and then make out the lining and either get people to dig and plant or get a tractor and auger otmake holes. try to make hole around 50cm deep. if i were you a would put some phosphate in the hole when planting.

in the first six months make sure you keep the area around the trees weed clear. keep an eye out and prun all thelateral branches (make the tree grow straight up) try and fertilizer twice a year. once in the beginning of the rainy eason and then towards the end.

thats alot of land you have! have athink and maybe do a trail run of a small percent and see how you do. good luck anyway! try and talk to some local people and see what they have done, and if they can advise you on do s and donts.

70 rai will accommodate nearly 6,000 trees...That is a big undertaking...Remembering that you have a 7 year wait until it starts to produce any income unless you want to try to plant cassava or something else between the rows...Fertilizer prices are rising every week...I paid 980 baht for 20-8-20 50kg bags...Expect the next purchase will be over 1,000 baht...

Other expenses include the price of the trees....for the better trees, they can cost as much as 23 baht each and then pay someone 5 - 10 baht to plant each one...As I said many years of expenses before you start seeing a reasonable return on your investment..

Oh yes, if you are planting in rice paddies, rubber trees do not like to have wet feet...

Stonemanb

Hi guy's

Can any one help with good adivse on how to start a Rubber Plantation.

I have 71 Rai up near khon kean and plan to plant Rubber before the rainy season, half the land has not been used for meny years and half was rice fields a couple of years ago.

There is a 30mtr x 30mtr pond right in the middle which still has water in it so water is not a problem, there are Eucliptus trees in the vicinity 200mtrs away,

I plan to turn the land in a few days, and have a few questions, should I fertilize as I turn?

where can I buy the seedling and what type are best? I hear Para 600 are good, also some new hybrid type out??

How do i actually plant them? fertilizer in the hole and then put the seedling in? what fertilizer is best?

are there any books in english that may help

Any info is wellcome Thanks.

Chris

Hey, Check ur email. If I can attach some more info from here (BM) you'll be able to make ur library as well as more links. Did you check with the rubber folks in the district yet?

• 2 months later...
70 rai will accommodate nearly 6,000 trees...That is a big undertaking...Remembering that you have a 7 year wait until it starts to produce any income unless you want to try to plant cassava or something else between the rows...Fertilizer prices are rising every week...I paid 980 baht for 20-8-20 50kg bags...Expect the next purchase will be over 1,000 baht...

Other expenses include the price of the trees....for the better trees, they can cost as much as 23 baht each and then pay someone 5 - 10 baht to plant each one...As I said many years of expenses before you start seeing a reasonable return on your investment..

Oh yes, if you are planting in rice paddies, rubber trees do not like to have wet feet...

Stonemanb

Last year we put in 3 rai of rubber trees as an experiment to see how they'd do. We found that the rubber tends to dry out in the hot sun. This year we are trying 3 rai of fake Christmas trees make of plastic leaves and metal wire wrapped branches. Will post results.

Can anyboby help me out.

I have read all of your advice on this subject and some of you appear to be quite experts at this, so lets hope so.

I have paid 12 baht for 'dipping' & 18 baht per tree. (12,000 baht total) I have been told this Is for 400 trees to go onto our land In Trang, Southern Thailand.

My questions are as follows: Is there a certain distance that they need to be planted apart??. Also, from reading the previous responces If I have 1 Rai, can I get 400 trees onto this area of land?? If not, how many do you calculate??

Once they have grow, am I correct that you can start to harvest these trees once they are 6 years old or Is It younger / older??

Once up and running (trees being old enough) what would you say the return Is per tree per week / month. i.e how much would you guesstimate that I would see for 400 trees per week?

Sorry for sounding completely dumb on the subject but It's all new to me, and also I want to ensure that I am not being taken for a ride !!!!

Can anyboby help me out.

I have read all of your advice on this subject and some of you appear to be quite experts at this, so lets hope so.

I have paid 12 baht for 'dipping' & 18 baht per tree. (12,000 baht total) I have been told this Is for 400 trees to go onto our land In Trang, Southern Thailand.

My questions are as follows: Is there a certain distance that they need to be planted apart??. Also, from reading the previous responces If I have 1 Rai, can I get 400 trees onto this area of land?? If not, how many do you calculate??

Once they have grow, am I correct that you can start to harvest these trees once they are 6 years old or Is It younger / older??

Once up and running (trees being old enough) what would you say the return Is per tree per week / month. i.e how much would you guesstimate that I would see for 400 trees per week?

Sorry for sounding completely dumb on the subject but It's all new to me, and also I want to ensure that I am not being taken for a ride !!!!

You can only plant 76 trees per rai at 7m x 3m and ideally wait for 7 years or more. Go to MOAC website and select the rubber sites. And / or see previous links in this thread. Also, consider inter-cropping.

My family has 200 Rai in Central Thailand, but it is full of various trees. Can I remove these trees for lumber and replant with rubber trees without hassle?

I was told that the Forest Service would have a fit. Then I was told that no one would care.

Can anyone tell me the process for removing, selling and replanting. I would like to do Rubber Trees for the entire lot.

thanks

Please advise if I need to start a new post.

My family has 200 Rai in Central Thailand, but it is full of various trees. Can I remove these trees for lumber and replant with rubber trees without hassle?

I was told that the Forest Service would have a fit. Then I was told that no one would care.

Is your land near National Park land? Sounds like it is (as is mine). Sor Por Kor or Pa Mai Zone 4?

If yes, I suggest you be very careful - removal of even one tree on such land as mine is an offence with heavy penalties. Talk with your local Forest Dept. manager (Honar Pa Mai).

Rgds

Khonwan

Thx Scott, but the cups I mostly see are not the larger ones, although at one time I have seen tapping done into plastic bags.

As a matter of fact there are 3 sizes of cups...called #1, #2 and #3...and they are to be used for the different seasons...When the tree is producing less latex, you use a smaller cup....

To be honest, I have never seen any of the local small producers changing cups with the season

Stoneman

Thx Scott, but the cups I mostly see are not the larger ones, although at one time I have seen tapping done into plastic bags.

As a matter of fact there are 3 sizes of cups...called #1, #2 and #3...and they are to be used for the different seasons...When the tree is producing less latex, you use a smaller cup....

To be honest, I have never seen any of the local small producers changing cups with the season

Stoneman

Thx Stoneman. Makes sense.

Mosha, I'd personally like to see less plastic in the countryside.

They used to use coconut shells in Malaysia (25 years ago) can you not use these?

Stoneman

Thx Stoneman. Makes sense.

Mosha, I'd personally like to see less plastic in the countryside.

If it were me, I sure wouldn't rely on an Internet forum for advice. You are looking at a sizable investment and a seven year wait for a product. The wrong kind of trees or a poor planting technique could mean a total loss. I'd certainly hire an expert and have him supervise the planting, spacing and type of tree.

If it were me, I sure wouldn't rely on an Internet forum for advice. You are looking at a sizable investment and a seven year wait for a product. The wrong kind of trees or a poor planting technique could mean a total loss. I'd certainly hire an expert and have him supervise the planting, spacing and type of tree.

Gary, you make a very valid point. Forums are merely the vehicle for the interchange of ideas and most posts are based on personal experience and knowledge and should not be taken as professional advise because of the many variables involved.

In the OP,s case ,he is looking at a sizable investment in establishing a plantation and maintaining it through to production, and as you suggest he should seek expert involvement maybe through the Ag Dept extension officers.

When considering new types of trees,probably the only people who have had hands on with them are the research facilities and it would be folly to advise on say tree spacings without knowing the growth habits of the particular variety.

Likewise planting depths, rubber trees are prone to collar rot if planted to deep (as are many trees) and to give planting hole depths when you dont know what size container the seedling are supplied in is pure guesswork.

Advise from field extension officers is usually free but if you find a good knowledgeable one it only helps your cause to provide a feed and a small inducement present to ensure their ongoing support .

Gary, you make a very valid point. Forums are merely the vehicle for the interchange of ideas and most posts are based on personal experience and knowledge and should not be taken as professional advise because of the many variables involved.

In the OP,s case ,he is looking at a sizable investment in establishing a plantation and maintaining it through to production, and as you suggest he should seek expert involvement maybe through the Ag Dept extension officers.

When considering new types of trees,probably the only people who have had hands on with them are the research facilities and it would be folly to advise on say tree spacings without knowing the growth habits of the particular variety.

Likewise planting depths, rubber trees are prone to collar rot if planted to deep (as are many trees) and to give planting hole depths when you dont know what size container the seedling are supplied in is pure guesswork.

Advise from field extension officers is usually free but if you find a good knowledgeable one it only helps your cause to provide a feed and a small inducement present to ensure their ongoing support .

Ozzy,

You're absolutely correct when stating advice should be from the Agri. folks. When we planted our plantations, we went through the Rubber Dept. All can be revealed through a couple of departments on the web (but you have to be able to read Thai). I earlier posted some website addresses for forum folks to browse and they really should! Below is the main link page.

http://www.moac.go.th/builder/moac/eng/link.htm

I sense I'm going to be hit with this again on my next visit to Thailand............... I have prevsiouly twice considered, and previsouly twice declined to invest in rubber tree's..... BUT - the idea of getting the 'Dept of Agri Rubber Department folks' involved seems like an outstanding idea and lends the idea alot more credibility and offers consdierable re-assurance.

So thanks for the info guys............. sorry to hi-jack your thread Chris 21 :o