Non-imm 'o' For Foreign Parent.

My son is Thai (born here obviously) and I have been told I can obtain a non-imm 'O' visa as long as I produce his birth certificate at a Thai consulate. Does anyone know if this is correct? I'm not married to his mother by the way.

Lopburi is write the will give you a Non O but you have to show Money also.

No you do not have to show money to obtain a single entry non immigrant O visa (from any Consulate that I know of) unless asked for the normal proof of 20k in funds.

I make every Year my Non O / Ok I do a Muliple/ and I always have to show Money.

Maybi for singel Entry you dont have to?.

No you do not have to show money to obtain a single entry non immigrant O visa (from any Consulate that I know of) unless asked for the normal proof of 20k in funds.

I make every Year my Non O / Ok I do a Muliple/ and I always have to show Money.

As you are Swiss it seems a bit strange that the Basle consulate/embassy is asking you to show money.

Most people applying in their home country do not have to.

Edited by Lite Beer

As you are Swiss it seems a bit strange that the Basle consulate/embassy is asking you to show money.

Most people applying in their home country do not have to.

I am Swiss and I do it now 5 Year and I always have to Show Money. Even a Friend of mine came this Year and he dindent hade to showe bevor but this Year also, and he is on the same then have Child in Thailand and not Married. And mz Friend came on a double Entrie Non O.

… Each time I was asked to provide a proof that I have at least $500 in my account.

Well, that’s the equivalent of the standard requirement of 20k Baht then (at the old exchange rate), mentioned by Lopburi. It is listed as a requirement on the web site of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs but it is up to each individual consulate whether to implement it or not.

--

Maestro

7.17 says you must be age 50 or over for extension of stay to live with Thai child. It says nothing about visas.

Happy to see your post as you are well versed in the immigration laws.

A few questions as I enter the Social Security system of the US this November. I've been doing the

retirement visa out of NongKhai the last two years. I come up again in April08.

My wife is due later in April so I am in a quandary as to whether to continue next year with the retirement visa or switch to a marriage visa next year.

What are your recommendations? Not sure what 7.17 is but I should research it for starters.

Re the age 50 or over for extension of stay to live with Thai child, how do you go about applying?

If so, do I need 800K or 40K a month flowing into Thailand given a retirement visa in the first instance or a marriage visa in the second.

My assets are not the largest so opting to downsize the tieup of my capital is clearly of interest.

One reader who qualified mentioned no money was needed after filing in Bangkok to live with a Thai child? What is your take as that scenario appears to be "like pie in the sky" or subject to some subsuquent new regulation.?

I'm all ears at this point in time. Btw, can I dip into the retirement reserve after receiving my visa this April with the intent of going to the marriage visa next April09?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Money is not needed to live with you Thai Child if you are over 50. Personally I would not try and do this at Nong Kai as they are not the most helpful of offices.

Yes once you have received your extension based on Retirement you can use the money and top up again next year , depending on what you are going to do next year.

Hi lopburi, sorry to go against you here :o

Whenever I go to get my Non Imm 'O', I go to Singapore.

Since midway through last year, I now have to show minimum 400K in my bank account.

I have half Thai son,am seperated from his mother, I have sole custody as granted by Thai court, under 50 yrs old.

Are you talking about a single entry or multi entry non immigrant O visa. My post is about single entry type. For multi entry that 400k is the requirement for family reasons; 800k for retirement reasons. For a single entry do not believe they demand any bank account information.

Are you talking about a single entry or multi entry non immigrant O visa. My post is about single entry type. For multi entry that 400k is the requirement for family reasons; 800k for retirement reasons. For a single entry do not believe they demand any bank account information.

Its a single entry .

My experience is that I received a single entry on 29/11/2006, showing only court papers about custody of my son.

I then received a single entry on 26/2/2007, and was then told if I wanted another visa I would have to show 400K.

I subsequently received single entry on 27/8/2007 and again on 22/11/2007 and each time as well as court papers I had to produce my bank book to show above 400k. They were adamant about this at Singapore, in fact the 'boss' was not particularly pleasant about it :o

OK. That was due to multi issue from the same Consulate as they sometimes do with tourist visa issue. If you wish to continue using you must present financial proof of some type. Not ideal but much better than not being able to obtain the visa. Those over age 50 have extension of stay options but others do not (directly). I suspect education type extensions of stay, even if only 90 days at a time, might be a good alternative under current policy.

Lopburi.

I have never heard of anything else ever mentioned pertaining to the grandfather clause since the rules came into effect. Is this what you mean by directly nowadays? For me I am not told how or for what reasons I have it approved and get it extended, but I assume it is grandfathered since I am under 50 and not married. Proof of income / kids papers ect ect ect are issues though.

Not grandfathered as such (although they may remember you) but Consulates have the prerogative to set limits or conditions. At several Consulates recently they have said two tourist visas only or have set other restrictions. In this case they seem to say we will issue the non immigrant with just the proof of having a child but if you return to do this often you will have to prove you have the funds to live in Thailand and we are setting that at a bank account of 400k.

Indirectly you could use education extensions of stay (for yourself). Some could use parent of foreign child attending school here (child on foreign passport entry). What I really mean is there is no direct support Thai child provision for extensions of stay under the current rules.

Lopuri,

I have to agree with you on the current rules because immigration has brought it up to me before when they see I am going for my extension based on support for a child. They mention it is not applicable now days, write something on my app, smile that everything is satisfactory and the next month later I am set to go for another year.

Could be familiarity, but I am betting it on the grandfather.

OK - sorry - I was thinking you were posting about the Singapore issue visa - too many doors in this thread. In your case it is very likely they are using the discretionary powers to continue to provide for you - there is no grandfather rule in writing for your situation. You could now come under:

12. Other cases not stipulated herein shall be submitted to the Commissioner of the Immigration

Bureau or competent official for decision on a case-by-case basis.

You could now come under:

[quote]12. Other cases not stipulated herein shall be submitted to the Commissioner of the Immigration

Bureau or competent official for decision on a case-by-case basis.

Actually I entirely forgot about that when I read it some time ago.

More than likely to be the case and as from what I can see should be the case time and time for years to come. Alto the way I look at it is that the approval of everyones submitted applications are entirely up to the officials approval, and can never be concidered a salm dunk guarantee no matter what.

Yes, sorry about creating another door in this threaded house.