Phuket Gateway

simon43

Every time that I drive past the new Phuket Gateway, just by the Sarasin Bridge, it appears deserted, with not a single car in the car-park.

Has anyone ever visited the place? Exactly what is the attraction/reason for stopping one's journey to visit?

Simon

How are the gun lockers ??

Remember when phuket was declared a gun free province ?? And that people bringing in guns were supposed to check them at the gate !! LOL

About as effective as the anti gun stickers on buzz club doors.. As a mate pointed out "Its nice to see they have put the sign up, I often get confused what a clubs gun policy is !!" now you can leave it under the seat of your scooter.

Has anyone ever visited the place? Exactly what is the attraction/reason for stopping one's journey to visit?

Do you mean the place on the right as you enter Phuket Island. I ask this as there is a big new place just finished building on the left as you enter the island. No idea what that's about ??

If the place on the right, we visited about 5 weeks ago. Car park almost empty, no other farangs there. One group of Thai nationals visiting. Nice facility & displays and the attendants/employees could not have been more helpful. Nice modern toilets, very clean. Only a simple counterstyle shop. A simple eatery (coffee & snack) would have been welcome.

I really have no idea why they spend all the money building the place as it's not well sign posted and I don't think any tour buses or minivans even think about stopping.

there is a big new place just finished building on the left as you enter the island. No idea what that's about ??

New building off to the side will be/is the new Tah Chat Chai road checkpoint. (your tax dolars hard at work)

bigger and better inspection facilities including a livestock inspection unit for vehicals with animals comming on to the island.

See Gazette story for more details

http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.as...5&display=1

Now as regaards the Phuket Gateway, never been to, think about it when ever i pass but but I think I'll just be depressed going into to :o

maybe I'll stop some day If I'm in desprite need of a loo

When they eventually sort themselves out it will be another little piece to make Phuket a farang zone, a bit like a ghetto, we want your cash but don't want you moving to cheaper places and showing that life isn't always rosey in your shack, they are terrified of the population showing ambition.

Keep em happy with a little bribe and keep the propoganda going on through radio and tv.

When they eventually sort themselves out it will be another little piece to make Phuket a farang zone, a bit like a ghetto, we want your cash but don't want you moving to cheaper places and showing that life isn't always rosey in your shack, they are terrified of the population showing ambition.

Keep em happy with a little bribe and keep the propoganda going on through radio and tv.

Ok, sorry, but I do not understand your point. Are you suggesting that farangs would be prevented from leaving phuket? Just don't understand. :o

• 3 months later...

It is the start of making Phuket an island for farangs, simple really. This is how most Gov's introduce things, innocent checks then it gets harder for people to come in and harder for people to leave.

You will slate me for this but this is the start of an enclave.

I just hope it is a duty free enclave lol

The brain-child of a certain female politician who ram-rodded it through even when there were protests before it was built. She lost her seat at the last election.

It's easy to say bad things about the person you are talking about but I know her personally and she has sincere integrity. If not for her there wouldn't be any pier in Ao Chalong and other worthwhile projects. The thing about the Phuket politician is this: you get in to spread the money around and if you don't you're out just like her. The Gateway and similar projects are about FACE and face is so important to Thais that they will spend money foolishly on junk projects like the Gateway instead of a school or park.

The elite in Thailand have a knack of helping out persons that really don't need that help and as long as the masses are un-educated you won't hear a squeak out of them until they want their 500-1000 baht for voting.

LiveSteam

The elite in Thailand have a knack of helping out persons that really don't need that help and as long as the masses are un-educated you won't hear a squeak out of them until they want their 500-1000 baht for voting.

I beg to differ. The Phuket electorate resoundingly tossed out the Phuket Gateway lady, and brought in someone with both impeccable credentials and a stellar reputation.

Given the status of pork barrel politics in my home country, I found the latest Phuket elections most refreshing.

I beg to differ. The Phuket electorate resoundingly tossed out the Phuket Gateway lady, and brought in someone with both impeccable credentials and a stellar reputation.

Given the status of pork barrel politics in my home country, I found the latest Phuket elections most refreshing.

Well compared to what was before her I would say she is a B average job. The new guy as you say has the paper to hang on the wall but have you heard him and his group outspent her 20 to 1. I think they might want that money back somehow. Anyway I hope you are right and Phuket stands out from the usually corruption that plagues Thailand, still that has yet to be seen. I will give him the benefit of doubt because it's the right thing to do. I wish him the best of luck it's not an easy job.

LiveSteam

"someone with both impeccable credentials and a stellar reputation" ?

A politician?

Details please.

Sure.

Paiboon Uptaising used to be Phuket's Senator. He's an extraordinarily intelligent guy, very involved in local charity work. He inherited the Phuket Singha distributorship, so he's independently wealthy (and, yes, he takes a lot of jokes about being the "Beer Senator"). He's also a respected property developer, best known for the Phuket Villa developments.

Phuket has a number of world-class politicians. Phummisak Hongsyok, the former Mayor of Phuket Town and current Senator from Phuket, is educated, articulate, and has a reputation for making fair and insightful decisions. He, too, is independently wealthy and (as far as I know) beyond reproach.