Songkran Is Coming - Where To Escape ?

peter991

Where Will You Be Over Songkran?  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The original concept of Songkran, sprinkling water has been lost. Songkran has been turned into a giant water fight. Fun, maybe for the first 15 minutes - but I find I do not enjoy it.

According to Wikipedia, 'Besides the throwing of water, people celebrating Songkran may also go to a wat (Buddhist monastery) to pray and give food to monks. They may also cleanse Buddha images from household shrines as well as Buddha images at monasteries by gently pouring water mixed with a Thai fragrance (น้ำอบไทย) over them. It is believed that doing this will bring good luck and prosperity for the New Year.'

'The throwing of water originated as a way to pay respect to people, by gently pouring a small amount of lustral water on other people’s hands or over a shoulder as a sign of respect. Among young people the holiday evolved to include dousing strangers with water to relieve the heat, since April is the hottest month in Thailand (temperatures can rise to over 100°F or 40°C on some days). This has further evolved into water fights and splashing water over people riding in vehicles.'

I will be in Thailand during the Songkran period in April, but I was thinking of getting away. I understand Songkran is also celebrated in Cambodia. Is it a big event there?

Any recommendations on where to stay for a few days? I was thinking about staying at the Manor House, Phnom Penh city. Anybody stayed there?

Peter

well I'll be in Songkhla or Phuket for Songkran depending on my friends workload. So far I have never had any problems during the festival. I know some people find it annoying to get drenched, but it gets the kid coming out of me and I find it great fun (at least in small doses) It is advisable not to drive or ride a motorcycle during that time and to plan an escape route, but all in all you can have a great time, especially if you are with friends. So if watersports is your poison you will love it :o

PTE: I don't object to Songkran's original concept. I think that was a beautiful festival. What I object to is the way farangs have turned it into a dangerous, drunken festival. My trips to Thailand are timed to coincide with the limited holidays my Thai friend has. I am thinking of visiting Cambodia for a couple of days. Just wondering how big Songkran is in Cambodia.

Peter

I don't think it was farangs who turned the festival into what it has become... the Thai youngsters managed that all on their own. I'll be in Vietnam again!

Yeah, I can attest that in areas where no foreigners are to be found things can still get a bit over-the-top; avoid city centres of all kinds during the period and stay off unenclosed transportation.

A Thai friend of mine speculated that due to the mourning period and the funeral rites of the Princess that Songkran may be officially "toned down" this year- but he didn't have any solid information on this.

"S"

sbk,where in thailand are you.if water festival is only on for one day i will be staying at your area for the rest of the festival.i have had mobile phones ruined days before official songkran due to idiots,both thai and farang,dousing me with water withough consideration to valuables i have.let songjran be on the official date and no more,and for all the childish farang adults go pray and take food to the monks if you love songkran that much..

:o So many times I have been wrong, but had the feeling that Bangkok empties out somewhat during the Water Madness, so thought why not stay home..then there are always some locals who cannot restist the hydro thrust at farangs as they emerge from their condos, homes or hotels......Bah and Rain Pop sounds bewdifully dry! :D Dukkha

sbk,where in thailand are you.if water festival is only on for one day i will be staying at your area for the rest of the festival.i have had mobile phones ruined days before official songkran due to idiots,both thai and farang,dousing me with water withough consideration to valuables i have.let songjran be on the official date and no more,and for all the childish farang adults go pray and take food to the monks if you love songkran that much..

Koh Phangan :o

You might get some rambunctious youngsters (and the bargirls seem to like to do it too) who throw water for more than a day but generally speaking, one day is pretty much it.

• 2 weeks later...

I happen to have planned a big month long trip this year, 4 cities in Europe, home and then a few days in Langkawi, Malaysia. Very excited about the trip n general, but the fact that I'll be away during Songkran is a bonus.

I happen to have planned a big month long trip this year, 4 cities in Europe, home and then a few days in Langkawi, Malaysia. Very excited about the trip n general, but the fact that I'll be away during Songkran is a bonus.

You'll like Langkawi. It's so peaceful. I've been a few times. Prepare to wilt though.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do for songy. My friends are useless at suggestions.

The most brilliant suggestion so far from my friend - Hey, we'll just hang out in Phuket, have some beer, watch you make stupid faces when you get soaked, and embarass yourself chatting up girls that think you are a dirty old fat man. The worst part is when we go home, he'll yell at me not to leave my wet clothes lying around. Gay men can be incredibly cruel. :o

Edited by geriatrickid

Whilst Songkran can be great fun in Chiang Mai, I've had enough after a day so I'll probably head off elsewhere, maybe Taiwan.

But, I've been travelling non stop this year on business and enthusiasm for yet another airport, plane, hotel scenario is definitely lacking! Maybe it'll be a day round the moat and two more hiding in doors. The BF likes to sleep all day anyway :o

Pattaya's Songkran Festival (18-19 Apr 2007)

The traditional Thai New Year or Songkran day which is locally called Wan Lai, is annually celebrated on 19 and 20 April, though elsewhere in the country the festival falls on 13 April. The activities in the festival include throwing water at each other for enjoyment, beauty contests, colourful processions, folk plays, and paying respect to the seniors of the family by pouring water on their hands.

In case you haven't been in Thailand during Songkran - here's two YouTube links:

Link 1

Peter

Last year they started throwing water in Chiang Mai several days ahead of the official dates, and I was still on my bike (although they gave me mercy and did not splash me). I think I will find a place up the road to park the car, then take one of those public buses that is usually empty, and act like a Brit football hooligan for a few hours.

Just a question to those who have lived in Thailand for some time: Is Songkran the biggest event on the Thai calendar?

It seems to rate somewhere along the lines of Thanksgiving in USA - where families try to be together for a short time.

There's other festivals and Buddha holidays spread through the year - but Thais really seem to 'let their hair down' during Songkran. As PB noted - in Issan the water-throwing starts several days ahead of the 'official' holidays.

Peter

Pattaya's Songkran Festival (18-19 Apr 2007)

The traditional Thai New Year or Songkran day which is locally called Wan Lai, is annually celebrated on 19 and 20 April, though elsewhere in the country the festival falls on 13 April. The activities in the festival include throwing water at each other for enjoyment, beauty contests, colourful processions, folk plays, and paying respect to the seniors of the family by pouring water on their hands.

In case you haven't been in Thailand during Songkran - here's two YouTube links:

Link 1

Peter

Nice official version. By experience I know that by the 12th water reservoirs such as tanks, tons and water canons will be prepared and occasionally tried out. 13th, 14th, 15th the Bangkok people join the fun (so it's safe to stay in Bangkok) 16th an 17th the fun splashing continues and reach it's peak in Naklua on the 18th, Pattaya on the 19th, and the 20th in Jomtien area.

Gheez, I have drive everyday from one end of town to the other for work. Every year so happy, when it's over...