Breakfast In Chiang Mai

JacknDanny

Chiang Mai Breakfasts  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always used to visit the Irish Pub and I went there last week for breakfast and it was excellent.

But it is not included in the poll. and there is no 'other' option either.

Also I think its very western centric. What about local breakfasts? I think the Three Kings Monument area is perfect for breakfast.

Well, i decided to try the Leprechan for breakfast today after all the glowing reports.

Cant say that I was overwhelmed by theperience but will try to give a balanced review

I chose the regular breakfast 135 Baht not especially cheap I thought

Plus:

Crockery cutlery seating, Yorkie saussage (havnt had one in ages and it was very tasty) warm plate orange juice

Minus:

Only 1 saussage ( Im a pig), menu said hash browns but i got some kind of sautee potato with some green stuff and a hint of garlic - not really what i wanted for breakfast. Also they were not cooked completely.

I initially asked for coffee and was told it was NESCAFE so cancelled that and asked for Tea which consisted of a nice large china teapot and 1 pathetic Liptons teabag drowned in the water. - UGH it was totally undrinkable. Toast was fine menu said toast and butter which is what i got - no jam or marmalade

So sorry to say I wasnt overwhelmed by the experience. There is a Thai place i go to which has espresso coffee, 2 eggs bacon frankfurter type saussage beans fresh OJ toast jam all for 85 Baht. I cant see where the value of the extra 50 baht is

u would then not be disappointed with Mad Dog's 85Baht breakfast :o give it a try and post back when you can

yes I went to mad dog this morning had a 100b brekkie. Fresh coffee, toast and MARMALADE, nice OJ

I always used to visit the Irish Pub and I went there last week for breakfast and it was excellent.

There is The Pub and there is the Laughing Leprachaun. I think you are mixing the two. I left the option for "other" off the poll because I intend to add options as they come up. By having "Other" I need to differentiate between those who voted "other" but now have the other place added so want to shift their vote and those who still vote other because they want some obscure place in San Sai or a bowl of fermented fish guts for breakfast.

Also I think its very western centric. What about local breakfasts? I think the Three Kings Monument area is perfect for breakfast.

The poll is intentionally slanted to Western breakfast in CM in particular American and British.

CB

There is The Pub and there is the Laughing Leprachaun. I think you are mixing the two. I left the option for "other" off the poll because I intend to add options as they come up. By having "Other" I need to differentiate between those who voted "other" but now have the other place added so want to shift their vote and those who still vote other because they want some obscure place in San Sai or a bowl of fermented fish guts for breakfast.

The poll is intentionally slanted to Western breakfast in CM in particular American and British.

CB

There's a very good chance he/she means The UN Irish Pub on Ratchawithi Rd.

BTW, whats wrong with rotten fish guts for breakfast ??? :o

My kids are putting bugs in their omelettes now. I guess we are a truly mongrel (non-pedigree) family now. :D

CB

There's a very good chance he/she means The UN Irish Pub on Ratchawithi Rd.

You could be right - I had forgotten about the UN Irish. Added to the poll.

BTW, whats wrong with rotten fish guts for breakfast ??? :o

My kids are putting bugs in their omelettes now. I guess we are a truly mongrel (non-pedigree) family now. :D

Nothing wrong with Isaan chicken :D - I am partial to them myself as a late night snack. Breakfast time though not so keen on them. Maybe I should start a poll with Thai variations of breakfast by region. The rotten fish guts was a favourite of my g/f in Samuii - with noodles and a blood based soup. Personally I prefer a slice of toast or three wheatbix for my morning meal.

CB

There is The Pub and there is the Laughing Leprachaun. I think you are mixing the two.

If I read this topic correctly I think the latter is closed now? In any case I did mean the Irish Pub on Ratwithee Road.. I believe it's been there pretty much forever. I remember going there in the early nineties.

The bakery at the Irish Pub (Crusty Loaf?) is very good too. They make bread fresh, daily. (DOesn't last as long as factory bread, which is probably a good sign.. All the more reason to visit frequently. :o )

Edited by Polsevogn

Hi

Finally went to Mad Dog, thanks to the map posted by Blinky Bill. Difficult to do better than that for 125 bahts. But I agree with another poster, the staff is not very cheerful...

I live on Nimanhemin, and I am surprised nobody mentioned Smoothie Blues ( they are closed at the moment for renovation..) , which has a very extensive menu, but tends to be a bit expensive... Always see a lot of expats there. Bake and Bite on Nimanhemin is also quite good.

Good day to all..

Phil

There is The Pub and there is the Laughing Leprachaun. I think you are mixing the two.

If I read this topic correctly I think the latter is closed now? In any case I did mean the Irish Pub on Ratwithee Road.. I believe it's been there pretty much forever. I remember going there in the early nineties.

The Laughing Leprachaun has reopend on Loi Kroh Rd near the top end.

The UN Irish has been added

CB

Does anyone know how I can update my vote?

I had to vote to see the results, but only now the option I want to vote for has been added... :o

Send me a PM with the name of the place you voted for and I will change it for you.

CB

The Laughing Leprachaun has reopend on Loi Kroh Rd near the top end.

Oh!! That sounds like good news if it's still the same place? I never visited the old one, but many posters here seemed to like it. Same owner/operator?

Send me a PM with the name of the place you voted for and I will change it for you.

It's okay. :o There are more important polls going on in the world than this one. :D

I guess Nick isnt considered staff but he always seems friendly to me. Girl staff all seem to have commitments to some old haiy legged male so maybe they dont like to be hit on. They are friendly and smile at me. (Guess they think I am harmless)

I think they're super friendly at Mad Dog. I don't know Nick but his staff sure are friendly, polite and cheerful. Real gems. (I didn't vote for the place because of the limited menu, but nothing wrong with the staff attitude. And the same set of people has been there for a long time, that's also a very good sign. )

Nick at Mad Dog is always very nice even though I don't frequent the place like I used to. The girls have always been friendly to me also, even though I go with a buddy who says they are not.

I don't understand these business people who get all nasty if you don't buy stuff from them. Sometimes, you don't need what they sell or are bored with it, but I will go back eventually if no one presures me into feeling uncomfortable. Personally, I have plenty of happy customers and don't have to worry if they find something they like somewhere else once in a while. :o

The staff at Mad Dog is efficient and they are doing their job. No doubt about that. But for Chiang Mai standards they are not friendly. Never seen a smile in their faces. They probably never heard about this expression, which you hear everywhere , when a customer enters a place: "Savadee Kha". Instead they settled to "What do you want?" or "Menu?".

Edited by cnxmike

I think the staff at Mad Dog are friendly enough, if you are friendly to them. A smile and good morning , how are you is appreciated by most anyone working in that position. Lets them know that you consider them people too, which I do. I see some people talk pretty gruffly to them, maybe they just reflect back what they see.

Any way that is what I think about that. :o

I'm glad to see that Bake and Bite are kicking butt. They really have gone out of their way to have the best breakfasts around. They even have baked beans for breakfast which is a real stetch for an American-style breakfast place. :o

The staff at Mad Dog is efficient and they are doing their job. No doubt about that. But for Chiang Mai standards they are not friendly. Never seen a smile in their faces. They probably never heard about this expression, which you hear everywhere , when a customer enters a place: "Savadee Kha". Instead they settled to "What do you want?" or "Menu?".

for chiang mai standards, i think they are perfectly fine. the only place i can recall the staff saying "sawasdee kaaa" are the lady bars along loy kroh and ok, Number 1 Bar. :D and the occasional "you want smoke?" along certain streets of chiang mai :D

i can assure you that mad dog's staff are all very friendly. try talking to them. and fer hevan's sake, stop keeping such high expectations (not you cnxmike, just generally) for any joint in chiang mai. think about back home wherever we come from and what kind of service we get there.

the best crew in town combined with good food and Nick who talks to everyone; its a great place to hang out at. btw, breakfast is fantastic too :o

TB

Edited by tigerbeer

Rubbish, my wife and i have been in there twice recently and they have been lovely..We both got the "proper" sawatee ka's and such.

I guess they just didn't like the look of you.

Sometimes people can just be a mirror of ones self.

Next time try and smile first, should work just fine. :o

I've tried most of the British/American/Aussie Breakfasts in town, some are good, some downright awful. I must say though that my favourite is The Olde Bell on Loi Kroh Rd: All items are listed individually so you just pay for what you want. In addition to the usual items they've got bubble and squeak, black pudding, fried onions, fried potatoes etc AND when you order toast butter and jam you get decent Swiss jam not that nasty Thai jam that comes in little parcels that you cant open!

Olde Bell has free newspapers, pleasant classical type music and one TV has BBC world and another Australia Network.

All in all a very nice breakfast experience!!

I've tried most of the British/American/Aussie Breakfasts in town, some are good, some downright awful. I must say though that my favourite is The Olde Bell on Loi Kroh Rd: All items are listed individually so you just pay for what you want. In addition to the usual items they've got bubble and squeak, black pudding, fried onions, fried potatoes etc AND when you order toast butter and jam you get decent Swiss jam not that nasty Thai jam that comes in little parcels that you cant open!

Olde Bell has free newspapers, pleasant classical type music and one TV has BBC world and another Australia Network.

All in all a very nice breakfast experience!!

Where on Loi Kroh Rd is the Olde Bell?

Where on Loi Kroh Rd is the Olde Bell?

Heading down Loi Kroh from the moat end - it is on the LEFT hand side after the main spray of bars and before you get to Soi #1.

I have added the Olde Bell to the Poll.

CB

I think this is very helpful for occasional visitors to CM :D

It looks like opinions are split between Mad Dogs and Bake n Bite both of which I will try on my next visit :D

On a personal note, I can only say that whoever has voted for the Irish UN bar, has never tasted a REAL breakfast :o