Breakfast In Chiang Mai

JacknDanny

Chiang Mai Breakfasts  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Spent a few days in CM last week and couldnt find a decent breakfast :o

Can anyone recommend a place for a good old fashioned English Breakfast?

Secondly, I see a lot of good things said about Tuskers. Do they have English Football showing on Saturday night, and do they have large TV screens?

Thanks in anticipation :D

Edited by Crow Boy
Poll added - additional options added

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent a few days in CM last week and couldnt find a decent breakfast :o

Secondly, I see a lot of good things said about Tuskers. Do they have English Football showing on Saturday night, and do they have large TV screens?

Please view link to Breakfasts in Chiang Mai.

Yes Tuskers has a big screen upstairs. There is however a ban on sale of alcohol this saturday ie. 1st. March. So i am not sure how its going to affect your plans.

For British Breakfasts, Chiang Mai Leprechan can't be beat (Yorkies sausages, bacon and black pudding). It has just reopened near Butterfly bar near the begining of Loi Kroh Road. The proprieter is out of town for a while, but his missus is doing her best to keep up standards.

IMHO, by far the biggest and the best in town (but I haven't tried the Queen Vic or Half Moon Cafe yet).

Spent a few days in CM last week and couldnt find a decent breakfast :D

Please view link to Breakfasts in Chiang Mai.

Yes Tuskers has a big screen upstairs. There is however a ban on sale of alcohol this saturday ie. 1st. March. So i am not sure how its going to affect your plans.

@#%%## 2nd weekend in a row :D

Oh well, Red Lion was selling booze last weekend, so I guess I will have to go there :o

For British Breakfasts, Chiang Mai Leprechan can't be beat (Yorkies sausages, bacon and black pudding). It has just reopened near Butterfly bar near the begining of Loi Kroh Road. The proprieter is out of town for a while, but his missus is doing her best to keep up standards.

IMHO, by far the biggest and the best in town (but I haven't tried the Queen Vic or Half Moon Cafe yet).

Thanks for that :o

Coming from the moat is it on the left or right?

Thanks for that :o

Coming from the moat is it on the left or right?

On the left, near a 7/11.

UG

I never see any opening times mentioned in any of the restaurant recommendations. Since you are very knowledgable, can you also recommend by opening time? I frequently want/have to go into town for some task and would really like to eat breakfast first. Sometimes I want to eat at 7 am, others at 8. What good places are open then? And, since I am driving, can you also describe the parking at these places?

Edited by noise

UG

I never see any opening times mentioned in any of the restaurant recommendations. Since you are very knowledgable, can you also recommend by opening time? I frequently want/have to go into town for some task and would really like to eat breakfast first. Sometimes I want to eat at 7 am, others at 8. What good places are open then? And, since I am driving, can you also describe the parking at these places?

yeah UG, throw in the menu while you are at it. :o

UG

yeah UG, throw in the menu while you are at it. :o

Yea, come on slackarse.

Well, i decided to try the Leprechan for breakfast today after all the glowing reports.

Cant say that I was overwhelmed by theperience but will try to give a balanced review

I chose the regular breakfast 135 Baht not especially cheap I thought

Plus:

Crockery cutlery seating, Yorkie saussage (havnt had one in ages and it was very tasty) warm plate orange juice

Minus:

Only 1 saussage ( Im a pig), menu said hash browns but i got some kind of sautee potato with some green stuff and a hint of garlic - not really what i wanted for breakfast. Also they were not cooked completely.

I initially asked for coffee and was told it was NESCAFE so cancelled that and asked for Tea which consisted of a nice large china teapot and 1 pathetic Liptons teabag drowned in the water. - UGH it was totally undrinkable. Toast was fine menu said toast and butter which is what i got - no jam or marmalade

So sorry to say I wasnt overwhelmed by the experience. There is a Thai place i go to which has espresso coffee, 2 eggs bacon frankfurter type saussage beans fresh OJ toast jam all for 85 Baht. I cant see where the value of the extra 50 baht is

Well, i decided to try the Leprechan for breakfast today after all the glowing reports.

Cant say that I was overwhelmed by theperience but will try to give a balanced review

Plus:

Crockery cutlery seating, Yorkie saussage (havnt had one in ages and it was very tasty) warm plate orange juice

Minus:

Only 1 saussage ( Im a pig), menu said hash browns but i got some kind of sautee potato with some green stuff and a hint of garlic - not really what i wanted for breakfast. Also they were not cooked completely.

I initially asked for coffee and was told it was NESCAFE so cancelled that and asked for Tea which consisted of a nice large china teapot and 1 pathetic Liptons teabag drowned in the water. - UGH it was totally undrinkable. Toast was fine menu said toast and butter which is what i got - no jam or marmalade

So sorry to say I wasnt overwhelmed by the experience. There is a Thai place i go to which has espresso coffee, 2 eggs bacon frankfurter type saussage beans fresh OJ toast jam all for 85 Baht. I cant see where the value of the extra 50 baht is

u would then not be disappointed with Mad Dog's 85Baht breakfast :o give it a try and post back when you can

Sorry that it wasn't up to snuff.

I did mention that the farang owner is out of town and his Thai wife has opened the new place alone, but the breakfast I had a few days ago was fine with fresh real coffee and Yorkie bacon, sausage and black pudding. The "hashbrowns" are done differently by the different cooks, but when Dominick is there, he always make sure that I get crispy brown ones.

I don't know the new schedule yet, but I will stop recomending the place until he returns when I know that it is good.

Sorry. :o

Plus:

Minus:

Well I was in there today (saturday)

It was above average, but not great.

First of all I arrived just after 9am, and was told I had to wait as the chef had not arrived :o (according to previous reports, the boss is not in residence, so perhaps the staff are taking advantage :D )

Like the above post NOT hash browns, but hard potatos. Sausage, bacon and black pudding, all excellent, but perhaps not enough for my appetite :D .

A huge improvent on the UN Irish Bar though.

So I am now searching for Mad Dogs? Where is it anyone?

Well I was in there today (saturday) ........I arrived just after 9am..........the chef had not arrived

So when all of you talk breakfast, what is the earliest you get to eat? I guess my real question is still what places, other than hotel coffee shops, open between 7 am and 8am at the latest?

I have added a poll to the topic - vote for your favourite breakfast spot.

If you have other places not on the list send me a PM or post up here and I will add them to the poll

CB

Where is the poll?

I wonder if American style breakfasts and British style should be on seperate polls. Fans of each normally aren't much interested in the other.

I have added a poll to the topic - vote for your favourite breakfast spot.

If you have other places not on the list send me a PM or post up here and I will add them to the poll

CB

Where is the poll?

I wonder if American style breakfasts and British style should be on seperate polls. Fans of each normally aren't much interested in the other.

The poll fell off the thread - pole axed? Not sure if I can differentiate between the two to do it. As we add options we can split the poll into two ie American and British style. Some places seem to cross over with a foot in each camp or offer both so I will need to work out that detail.

CB

I voted for Bake and Bite because I think that it is more well known for it's American style breakfasts than Art Cafe, but in truth, they are both excellent, and are really about even. As far as I can tell, they have the best American style breakfasts anywhere I have been in Thailand with an array of hard to find dishes like Eggs Benedict, Eggs Florentine and buttermilk bicuits and pancakes.

I still haven't tried the Queen Vic's British breakfast, but I have had the Hungry Horse's and The Gatehouse Inn's which have the same owners and they didn't hold a candle to the Laughing Leprechan's when Dominick was here and running it (although they are cheaper).