Breakfast In Chiang Mai

JacknDanny

Chiang Mai Breakfasts  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally tried Mad Dog for breakfast and I'm not surprised that it is number one on the poll for British brealfasts.

It is certainly the cheapest for what you get, but the quality and portions are quite good also and they have good fried potatoes (which many places don't know how to make).

I will certainly go there or the Laughing Leprechan (when Dominick is around) when I need a Full Monty fix!

The wifey and I went out yesterday and this morning searching for the Bake 'n Bite...Yesterday we just seemed to go ina circle and never found it. This morning same, same. I got tired of doing the circle, so we pulled into the first eating establishment that looked decent...

Low and behold it was the Art Cafe.

Laugh, giggle...found one of 'em at least.

I ordered the "Big Bowl" american breakfast, she ordered the "American Style" and Blueberry buttermilk pancakes.

No too busy, farangs all over the place...

Almost as good as an American establishment...took 15 minutes to get our order.

The Big Bowl was actually pretty good. Good sausage, potatoes were quite tasty and the bacon tasted as if were indeed the American style..."Streaky bacon" or is it "stripey bacon " called here...too much cheese on the top for me, but all in all, not bad.

The wife's American style is what you'd normally find, 2 eggs and 3 slices of ham, looks like sandwich meat back home...not the american style that I gre up eating ( that would be a bowl of Coco puffs or Cap't Crunch Peanut Butter cereal and milk.. ) Her buttermilk pancakes were as dry as the mohave desert with some blueberry syrup on top. She likes to put a ton of maple syrup on 'em and I was trying to tell her that the blueberrys were the syrup, but to no avail.

Overall, I would give it an "OK" rating as far as the "american style" breakfast, I won't count the pancakes this time, but they were bad..

Her breakfast I won't even consider...typical of anything else here as far as an real American breakfast is concerned, just no weinies with it, thank god.

I am continuing to search for the Bake 'n Bite..I know it was around the corner somewhere.....

I need some good 'ol Army style SOS!!! Love that stuff.....

Her buttermilk pancakes were as dry as the mohave desert with some blueberry syrup on top. She likes to put a ton of maple syrup on 'em and I was trying to tell her that the blueberrys were the syrup, but to no avail.

I wish that I had told you to put the blueberries INSIDE the pancake - mixed in to the batter. It is much better that way and should cure any dryness. I would try them again as they are usually pretty good. :o

Yes, I concur on the blueberries mixed into the batter... My Mom used to make 'em like that. ( and IHop back in the States :o )

I'm not one to condem a place on a one time visit. I will normally give 'em 3 tries before I make my final decision, unless the service was awfully bad. In this case the wait was alittle long, but nothing to really gripe about....

Now, if I was eating at Ramsey's it would be a different matter...3 Michelin stars and all..

I'll try 'em again.

( I wanted to try the chorizo ..mummm..hope it is somewhat close to what momma used to make :D )

Hi

Finally went to Mad Dog, thanks to the map posted by Blinky Bill. Difficult to do better than that for 125 bahts. But I agree with another poster, the staff is not very cheerful...

I live on Nimanhemin, and I am surprised nobody mentioned Smoothie Blues ( they are closed at the moment for renovation..) , which has a very extensive menu, but tends to be a bit expensive... Always see a lot of expats there. Bake and Bite on Nimanhemin is also quite good.

Good day to all..

Phil

i agree you won't get much more for your money but the sausage isn't the best and the staff are peeed at something. however, the owner Nick is something else. what's up with that guy?

@Austhaied

"I guess they just didn't like the look of you."

Maybe you are right. :o But it's a very unprofessional behaviour. In Moon Muang Soi 2, just around the corner there are a couple of bars, where a lot expats meet. Like "The Half Moon Pub", "Happy Bar" or the "Jai Yen Bar" most customers coming there share my point of view about the "Mad Dog".

And to greet a customer with a "Savadee Kha" not only happens at the the girlie bars in Loy Kroh. It's the standard all over Chiang Mai. In this way it's only the "Mad Dog", which is outstanding.

Edited by cnxmike

Went to Mad Dog the other day and was very happy with the service and pizza.

Will try their bfast.

Bake and Bite has messed up my order a few times and been out of something

usually, but the owner/manager there seems to sincerely care about

serving good food, good service and making you happy. They got my vote.

I asked for a white sourdough bread instead of 7 grain and she said the

white sourdough doesn't seem to be popular. Go figure.

There are cultural differences and problems with supplying ingredients

from around the world. I think intention is most important thing and

when I go to Bake and Bite, I feel they are really doing their best.

Now, about the hotel where I'm staying. Al Pacino should come and take

'a flame thrower this place'. The intention here is to 'ignore the customer'.

Edited by MrOzark