Accountancy Jobs For Expats

Hi all

I am hoping someone can give me some advice regarding accountancy jobs in Thailand. All the recruitment agents’ websites I have viewed all want Thai nationals, so I am writing to see whether I should just give up my search or persevere. I am UK qualified chartered accountant (ACA). Up until 2006 I used to be an audit manager, but now I work for a large company (no offices in Thailand unfortunately!) as a group accountant/FC. I have worked abroad (from the UK) the last 3 years, and am now looking at Thailand. There is a UK recruitment agency advertising jobs with Big 4, but as I have now left audit, and don’t really want to go back, I don’t fancy contacting them.. So, should I just scrap the idea?

Thanks!

Hi all

I am hoping someone can give me some advice regarding accountancy jobs in Thailand. All the recruitment agents' websites I have viewed all want Thai nationals, so I am writing to see whether I should just give up my search or persevere. I am UK qualified chartered accountant (ACA). Up until 2006 I used to be an audit manager, but now I work for a large company (no offices in Thailand unfortunately!) as a group accountant/FC. I have worked abroad (from the UK) the last 3 years, and am now looking at Thailand. There is a UK recruitment agency advertising jobs with Big 4, but as I have now left audit, and don't really want to go back, I don't fancy contacting them.. So, should I just scrap the idea?

Thanks.

dont take my word on this as gospel but I am sure Accountancy jobs in Thailand come under the Thais can do bracket. This means Foreigners cannot get a work permit for this possition. I may be wrong, but if you would like to try and see if its possible there is a large recruiting firm in Bangkok called RSM Nelson Wheeler, I am sure if you google that you would find an e-mail address to one of the guys working there and they would be able to tell you more and probably point you in the right direction.

Good luck

Wouldn't sweat the work permit / prohibited profession thing - that can always be sorted by a competent lawyer or paralegal. I'd suggest the issue is more that there are now very few regional and/or heavyweight finance jobs based out of BKK - they're all in Singapore, HK or Shanghai as a rule these days - most Thailand country finance roles are fairly lightweight and can be done quite competently by Thais.

So your choice of roles likely to be restricted to foreign owned/invested companies where for a specific reason they want a farang - usually it'll be because they want reporting under US or UK GAAP etc or because they may be worried that a 100% local management team may get involved in practices that are too risky for western groups in the days of SOX etc. If you can find such a role (and there are a few out there, usually in BKK or down the Eastern Seaboard), be prepared for the fact that they are likely to be on 'local terms' - so a very moderate salary, no expat allowances blah blah blah ... I'm not saying that it's right or wrong to take such a package, that is entirely a personal decision, but please consider carefully the pros and cons of doing it and don't get caught up in the "Thailand at any cost" syndrome.

By the way, I'm a UK FCCA and worked as regional CFO for a British MNC based in BKK for 4 and a half years.

Cheers,

CC

Thanks all for your help

I will still look for jobs in Thailand, but I will probably also expand my search to Singapore (although I have never been there!) they seem to have a lot more positions, so maybe that is something worth pursuing.

Was just checking out the Robert Walters website and came accross the following which may be of interest to you:

http://www.robertwalters.com/html/internal...d/thaijobs.html

The fact that the job requirements for most of these roles specify English language would imply that they are looking for Thai Nationals :o . However the more senior roles (FC) are silent on the matter :D .

Hope this helps & let me know how you get on

K

Was just checking out the Robert Walters website and came accross the following which may be of interest to you:

http://www.robertwalters.com/html/internal...d/thaijobs.html

The fact that the job requirements for most of these roles specify English language would imply that they are looking for Thai Nationals :o . However the more senior roles (FC) are silent on the matter :D .

Hope this helps & let me know how you get on

K

My experience with Robert Walters Singapore when I was job hunting in 2006 is that they certainly had the occasional Thailand based role but when push came to shove the employer usually preferred a Thai national ... but only one way to find out, so gotta be worth the OP giving it a shot...

I would also be interested to hear whether MTM103 (or anyone else) can get any mileage out of this...

CC

Purely from an investment banking background, the regional centres are Singapore, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Sydney etc. Some small local nickel and dime stuff in Jakarta but no mention of Bangkok. The proximity of Singapore and its 1st World status is what counts. There just isn't the volume of business in a 3rd world backwater like Bangkok to justify a separate office though some may have very small satellite offices.

If you're interested in a business advisory/accountancy position, you might try by-passing the headhunters and going to some of these firms directly:

RSM Nelson Wheeler Thailand: www.rsmthailand.com/index.htm

Double Impact www.doubleimpactasia.com/about/team.html

Deloitte www.deloitte.com/dtt/home/0,1044,sid%253D34220,00.html

Hi all

I am hoping someone can give me some advice regarding accountancy jobs in Thailand. All the recruitment agents’ websites I have viewed all want Thai nationals, so I am writing to see whether I should just give up my search or persevere. I am UK qualified chartered accountant (ACA). Up until 2006 I used to be an audit manager, but now I work for a large company (no offices in Thailand unfortunately!) as a group accountant/FC. I have worked abroad (from the UK) the last 3 years, and am now looking at Thailand. There is a UK recruitment agency advertising jobs with Big 4, but as I have now left audit, and don’t really want to go back, I don’t fancy contacting them.. So, should I just scrap the idea?

Thanks!