Mac With True Adsl & Smc Barricade

endlessnights

I'm taking the recommendation from previous posts and I plan to pick up SMC Barricade ADSL modem/router/wireless access point @ Panthip. (replacing the modem I got from TA)

I have two computers in my house - one PC (already connected with TA w/Billion modem).. and my Apple iBook. the goal is to get my mac up and running.

a few questions..

1 - I don't see why not, but - will the SMC work wirelessly with the Mac?

2 - can the pc and mac go online at the same time?

3 - can the mac go online if the pc is not turned on?

my understanding with ADSL is a little bit weak..

thanks

I have a similar setup running here in Pattaya; as long as the Mac has a Wireless Card (airport) installed, and this has no issues with the SMC Wireless router (these things are unfortunately never 100% compatible, my Dell Notebook with built in Wireless jsut did not want to connect with my former Belkin Wireless Access Point back at home ......, now I have an Airport AP which works fine with the Notebook), you should be fine.

Sunny

a few questions..

1 - I don't see why not, but - will the SMC work wirelessly with the Mac?

2 - can the pc and mac go online at the same time?

3 - can the mac go online if the pc is not turned on?

1. - Yes. I have a friend with a Mac notebook who has no problems connecting to any 802.11b access point/router. (If you don't know if your Mac is b/g, then leave both turned on on the router). Initially connect with WEP turned off, (after changing the SSID) then once that's working, try turning on WEP and check it's all still OK. (you will need to use the same string to act as a WEP key on both). WPA may be an option, but you might have to download stuff for the router, and the Mac first, where WEP is always available.

2. Yes - that's the point of getting a router with a built in switch/hub.

3. Yes - the router is what connects to the internet, and the PC and mac connect to the router, so either can access the net when the other is switched off, so long as the router is turned on...