15k Baby Allowance From Goverment

2008bangkok

Hi,

My wife is expecting a baby soon and a person from work has told me that as i am a tax payer when it is born i will be entilteled to 15k baht from the goverment to pay for hospital bills and then 300 baht per month for 'child allowance' does anybody know about this and have info??

Cheers

An employee who has the compulsory health insurance is entitled to this. If this applies to you, enquire at the insurance office.

is it 15K?

I though that was the tax deduction you were entitled to.

300 baht per month, IF you have been paying into social security through work for at least 7 months, I thought.

An employee who has the compulsory health insurance is entitled to this. If this applies to you, enquire at the insurance office.

My wife's previous employer paid for this and I maintained the payments after she left there, at 432 baht a month. When our son was born I'm sure the rebate was 12,500. This was only 7 months ago, but it could've changed since then.

And we do get 300 baht a month 'child allowance', so it only costs 132 baht really. But I think that only started from when he was 3 months old. I'm not sure if that's a rule, down to us registering him late, or a mistake of my memory.

Edited by markwhite

One of my employees had a baby last Oct and got 12,000Bt (could have been 12,500 as above)

She now gets 300Bt/month and will do until (she told me) the child is 6yrs old.

I think the childs medical expenses (as well as hers) are covered too.

I think the childs medical expenses (as well as hers) are covered too.

Yup - free treatment at the local hospital for mum and baby, though baby vaccines still have to be paid for (20 baht...) as do visits to private clinics for either of them.

No idea about the rebate, though this is how it looks here:

Born on 5th Aug

Registered his birth with Social Security (can't remember when)

31/10 payment of 700

30/11 payment of 350

28/12 payment of 350

(that was the last update of his bank book)

So it actually looks like we've got 350 for each full month since he was born.

Edited by markwhite

rebate was 12,000 Bt for the birth then I think another 22,000 for salary (50% of former salary) while on 3 month's maternity leave (total was about 34,500Bt). The maternity leave payments come from social security payments made while working. Now 300Bt a month, not not sure for how long.

The payments are made by Social Security, so if your wife's employer is paying her social which they should be you can get the rebate. We got 12500 and also 3 months maternity pay total 21000 baht. The 300 baht per month is until the child is 6 years old.

To claim you will need to go to your nearest Social Security office with ID Card, Birth Certificate and Social Security card. They will check how much has been paid in your wifes name and then after a lot of photocopying etc finally cough up the cash.

We found everyone very helpful in Phuket

Good Luck

I know we missed out but so did a lot of my friends who have babies. My experience is that many Thais, perhaps those not employed by large companies, just don't know about these benefits and do not claim them.

I undestood you had to pay in for 6 months before the baby was born for the lump sum. It would make more sense if that is incorrect and you had to pay in for 6 months before falling pregnant otherwise you could make a profit :o

• 4 weeks later...

Hi i know iv left it a while but....

Most of the responses seem to be about my wife paying Social Security but she hasnt its me paying it on my job..iv heard it still counts???And does anybody know for sure how long you have to have paid in for??

thanks