Fakes

canopus1969

You can keep all your fake Rolex's  this is what you call a fake ............. :o

Independent.co.uk

Italian police swoop to halt production of fake Ferraris

By Peter Popham in Milan

Friday, 29 February 2008

Operation Red Passion netted its first counterfeiters yesterday as Italian police arrested 15 people in a nationwide crackdown on imitation Ferraris, Lotuses and Lamborghinis.

Carefully copied versions of the original cars have been emerging from secret workshops for years. They are usually based on secondhand Pontiac Fieros, the production line model apparently best suited to reincarnation as a Testarossa, says Francesco Carofiglio, commander of the police operation.

The customers, who normally order over the internet, are fully aware that they are buying a counterfeit, and the deceit is spelt out in the log book. Prices range from €20,000 (£15,000) to €50,000.

Finance police raided offices and workshops in the Agrigento area of southern Sicily and several other cities across Italy, including Milan. They confiscated 14 finished cars and eight more under construction.

The police were acting on tip-offs provided by Ferrari's headquarters in Maranello, near Modena. They claim that at least 1,000 cloned supercars are already at large on Italy's roads, of varying degrees of verisimilitude.

But of course the phenomenon is by no means restricted to Italy. Other countries, including the US and Britain produce plenty of cars which "pay homage" to the great brands and legendary models. So common has the postmodern compulsion become that the clones have obtained a sort of legitimacy and celebrity of their own.

Two years ago the EU's justice commissioner, an Italian, Franco Frattini, claimed to have spotted a fake vintage 1967 Ferrari 330P4 at large in China. Although copied with exceptional care, it was readily identified as a clone because only four of the cars were manufactured in that year, and the whereabouts of all of them is known.

Mr Carofiglio said not only had copyright been breached but the cars were a hazard to other road users.

I remember seeing a kit you could by in the US years ago that allowed you to make a replica on your own in your garage. I don't see what the big problem is. The cars that you put the body on has no balls and is nothing like the real thing. some people just want the flash but can't afford the real thing. It's the same with the fake Rolex's in Thailand. Anyone buying one would know immediately that it isn't real.

Years ago the Renault 20/30 provided the base for a copy Countach. Sure it wasn't real, but if you had the V6 3.0L engine with all the Renault weight removed and a new fibreglass shell on, it would not be a slow car.

I really don't see what the problem is.

The owner of the kart track in pattaya had one but I'm not sure what chassis it had.

Anyways... what's the big deal? It's not like they're selling them as genuine supercars.

Years ago the Renault 20/30 provided the base for a copy Countach. Sure it wasn't real, but if you had the V6 3.0L engine with all the Renault weight removed and a new fibreglass shell on, it would not be a slow car.

I really don't see what the problem is.

The owner of the kart track in pattaya had one but I'm not sure what chassis it had.

Anyways... what's the big deal? It's not like they're selling them as genuine supercars.

The Chassis is home built, which means that Andy has weld it together by himself. The Engine is an V6 3000 ccm Honda and he also had one with V6 3000 ccm Mitsubishi.

Cheers.

In the states, we call these replicas "Kit Cars" and they really do not get any real respect. More of a thought like... "Ah, that would have been nice." The Cobra, is one of the more popular kit cars out there, and when I was a lad, I helped put together a kit Porsche Speedster.

w.callofbeauty.com/gallery/d/88699-1/1958+Porsche+Speedster-1600x1200.jpg

Never once did I think we were doing something illegal. We cut up a VW bug for that project. The engine was a VW, I think we had it bored out to some crazy high number.... it shook and souned loud and anoying by the time it was finished.

They even have kit car show contests. Kit cars are supposed to carry a badge in the engine bay that states that they are kit cars, and as such they do not have to meet many safety requirements, and maybe even some of the EPA requirments. I can not remember for sure about the EPA part.

The Noble M12 I believe wore a kit car badge http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_Automotive_Ltd in order to get around some of the automitive standards in the US. They shipped the car with the engine in a seperate crate & the owner had to drop the engine in on his/her own.

But for the price I imagine it was worth it.

I thought "replicars"/kit cars were legal in the U.S. too. They sell them openly, and you can even purchase them off of Ebay. Some of them are actually pretty convincing, from the outside. The body can be replicated, but it's hard to replicate the sound of a v-12. My old mechanic (alfa romeo) had someone's kit car (Lamborghini Diablo) in their garage. I thought it was real until I saw the v-8.

Just as an aside, it is actually not illegal to "own" a fake, if you are a private individual. The illegal part is to manufacture or sell it.

Two or three days ago The Nation showed an article about a Thai car enthusiast with what he claimed to be a Mercedes Benz 500 SL. The photo of the engine, however, showed clearly that there was a six cylinder in-line and thus it cannot be a 500SL, which is a V 8.

If he just wants to show off, no problem, but if he wants to sell that car to someone not that knowledgeable in cars, it's fraud.

A few years back, there was this TV show "Miami Vice" where the cops drove a white Ferrari 365 GTB4 (Daytona), which was actually a Corvette. Ferrari was quoted to have "donated" a real 512 TR.

Such Replicas are quite problematic from the Trademark point of view. You have to remove all original badges and you should not call the car a "Ferrari" or a "Lamborghini" when you sell it, that would be trademark infringement. When done on a large scale, it might even be qualified as piracy.

You can keep all your fake Rolex's this is what you call a fake ............. :o

Independent.co.uk

Italian police swoop to halt production of fake Ferraris

By Peter Popham in Milan

Friday, 29 February 2008

Operation Red Passion netted its first counterfeiters yesterday as Italian police arrested 15 people in a nationwide crackdown on imitation Ferraris, Lotuses and Lamborghinis.

Carefully copied versions of the original cars have been emerging from secret workshops for years. They are usually based on secondhand Pontiac Fieros, the production line model apparently best suited to reincarnation as a Testarossa, says Francesco Carofiglio, commander of the police operation.

The customers, who normally order over the internet, are fully aware that they are buying a counterfeit, and the deceit is spelt out in the log book. Prices range from €20,000 (£15,000) to €50,000.

Finance police raided offices and workshops in the Agrigento area of southern Sicily and several other cities across Italy, including Milan. They confiscated 14 finished cars and eight more under construction.

The police were acting on tip-offs provided by Ferrari's headquarters in Maranello, near Modena. They claim that at least 1,000 cloned supercars are already at large on Italy's roads, of varying degrees of verisimilitude.

But of course the phenomenon is by no means restricted to Italy. Other countries, including the US and Britain produce plenty of cars which "pay homage" to the great brands and legendary models. So common has the postmodern compulsion become that the clones have obtained a sort of legitimacy and celebrity of their own.

Two years ago the EU's justice commissioner, an Italian, Franco Frattini, claimed to have spotted a fake vintage 1967 Ferrari 330P4 at large in China. Although copied with exceptional care, it was readily identified as a clone because only four of the cars were manufactured in that year, and the whereabouts of all of them is known.

Mr Carofiglio said not only had copyright been breached but the cars were a hazard to other road users.

This is not a fake , its a replica ( and a poor one at that ) i see no problem with this, its not as if they are badging them ferrari and trading them into dealers, a load of tosh in my opinion, been going on for years with other replicas, lotus7s and the likes,

Hey Submaniac, don't know much about cars but I would like to communicate with you if you are up for it ....

Sure, I'm gonna send you p.m.

Oo-eerr ... When did Thaivisa become a dating site?

:D:o