Samak Sundaravej was elected

Jai Dee

yep, controvesy AND self interests AND division...

Heated Duang debate

Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung was involved in a heated debate with a politician from the opposition Democrat Party during yesterday's House meeting.

Nipit Intharasombat, a Democrat MP from Phatthalung, questioned the Defence Ministry's decision to reinstate Chalerm's son Duang as an Army officer. Duang was acquitted in 2004 by the Criminal Court of being involved in the murder of a policeman during a pub brawl in 2001.

Nipit's query was directed at Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej, in his capacity as Defence Minister. The opposition MP said the Defence Ministry's decision reflected political intervention into military affairs.

Chalerm responded on Samak's behalf, as the PM was on an overseas trip. The Interior Minister said he was not speaking as Duang's father and said Duang was being reinstated because public prosecutors had not appealed the lower court's ruling in the murder case, and neither had the slain policeman's wife.

Nipit argued that from the documents he had obtained, Duang was removed from military duty because he had been absent from work for more than 15 days while escaping arrest in the wake of the policeman's murder. He also claimed the policeman's wife was forced by an unknown person not to appeal. Chalerm challenged the opposition to file a censure motion against him if they believed he had influenced his son's reinstatement.

During the exchanges between Chalerm and Nipit, there was a tense atmosphere as MPs from the government and opposition camps took turns to protest against the other side.

Some People Power MPs said the issue had nothing to do with the public well-being, and were booed by Democrat MPs.

- The Nation (today)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spokesman: Samak misquoted on House dissolution

Prime Minister [and criminal litigant] Samak Sundaravej did not say that he will dissolve parliament after the constitution is amended, Deputy Spokesman of Prime Minister's Office [and criminal litigant] Nuttawut Saikua said Thursday. Nuttawut insisted Samak will lead the government until he completes his four-year term.

One [criminal litigant] contradicts another [criminal litigant]....

Samak confirms early election

Poll will be held after charter amendment

PM Samak Sundaravej yesterday reiterated that the House would be dissolved and there would be an early election after the constitution is amended, intensifying criticism that the move is self-serving. During his visit to Malaysia, Samak told a group of Thai businessmen that his administration would not be around when the amended constitution is in place. He said that after the constitution is amended a general election would be held and a new government would be elected to carry out its work under the revised charter. Samak earlier said there would be a House dissolution if three of the coalition parties (People Power, Matchima Thipataya and Chart Thai) were dissolved by the Constitution Court. It is believed that the chief targets of the charter review are Articles 237 and 309. Without these two articles, the PPP and its two coalition partners would not face dissolution. Thaksin, who is fighting corruption charges, might get away with his alleged wrongdoing and all 111 banned politicians might have their political rights returned.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/25Apr2008_news01.php

Samak ‘cooks up a storm’ during lightning visit

KUALA LUMPUR: It was barely a 24-hour visit but Thai Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej managed “to cook up a storm” during his short trip.

In between the official welcoming ceremony at Parliament and his meeting with Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi in Putrajaya, Samak took time off to visit the wet market in Jalan Imbi here early yesterday.

The market trip was a special request from him, and for good reason.

Malaysian officials were at first puzzled by his request, but came away from the visit impressed.

n_01samak.jpg

Thai Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej looking at bananas at the Imbi market in Kuala Lumpur yesterday morning. With him is Deputy Home Minister Datuk Chor Chee Heung (right) and Bukit Bintang MCA division chairman Datuk Dr Lee Chong Meng (second from right). Samak spent an hour touring the wet market despite his busy schedule. His 24-hour visit is his first official trip to Malaysia since becoming Prime Minister.

“During our meeting, he said he wanted to compare the prices of food here and back home. He told us the prices in the two countries were comparable,” said a senior Malaysian official.

“He asked how much does the average Malaysian earn. Samak then told us that from his calculation, Thais spend at least 25% of their income on food while Malaysians spend some 12%.

“That is down to earth economics. He portrays himself as a simple person and may look rugged but he is not, judging from his thinking,” the official said.

After the Putrajaya bilateral meeting, Samak took on another mission. He prepared mixed seafood with basil at a dinner hosted by the Thai embassy at a Thai restaurant before departing for home.

It hardly took the Thai leader more than 10 minutes to prepare the mixture of prawn, squid and fish for 40 dinner guests. After all, Samak is a well-known chef and has a cooking show on television.

Malaysian officials said that since becoming the prime minister early this year, Kuala Lumpur had been high on his list of places to visit. However due to the country’s 12th general election, his trip was postponed.

“He may be in power for a few months but he is saying all the right things where bilateral matters are concerned,” noted a Malaysian diplomat.

It is no secret that Bangkok, during former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s time, had made accusations linking Malaysia to troubles in southern Thailand.

Relations improved under the military-installed prime minister Surayud Chulanont.

“We hope Samak will continue the good feelings we have had with Surayud. He is still new and it is still too early to judge him,” said an official.

Source: Malaysian Star - 25 April 2008

Spokesman: Samak misquoted on House dissolution

Prime Minister [and criminal litigant] Samak Sundaravej did not say that he will dissolve parliament after the constitution is amended, Deputy Spokesman of Prime Minister's Office [and criminal litigant] Nuttawut Saikua said Thursday. Nuttawut insisted Samak will lead the government until he completes his four-year term.

One [criminal litigant] contradicts another [criminal litigant]....

Samak confirms early election

Poll will be held after charter amendment

PM Samak Sundaravej yesterday reiterated that the House would be dissolved and there would be an early election after the constitution is amended, intensifying criticism that the move is self-serving.

and here I thought there'd only be one contradiction to this story.... but here's another... :o:D

PM astonished

PM Samak appeared to contradict his own words on Friday, when he denied he has any plans to dissolve the House of Representatives or call an election, and was shocked to read media reports quoting him about it. PM Samak dismissed reports that he planned to dissolve the parliament and call for snap polls after the revised constitution is in place. "I would like to express astonishment," he said on Friday morning, as most newspapers headlined remarks he made to Thai businessmen in Kuala Lumpur on Thursday. "I have never said anywhere that I will dissolve the House," Samak told the media in an ambush-interview. "Reporters write this themselves. When I was there (Malaysia), I did not mention a word about dissolving the House," he insisted. On Friday, the front pages of virtually every Bangkok newspaper was dominated by reports that Samak had told the group of Thai businessmen that after the constitution is amended, a general election would be held and a new government would be elected to carry out its work under the revised charter. The official Thai News Agency, whose reporter accompanied Samak, quoted him as saying: "This government may not have an opportunity to count on the amended charter (to benefit its own working conditions). There will be a general election after the amendments are completed. It is the next government that will use it," he said. It was not clear how the Kuala Lumpur reports could be rationalised with Samak's statement on Friday. They seemed at direct odds.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/topstories/tops...s.php?id=127305

==============================================================================

My God this circus of clowns is still able to shock, amuse, and sadden one all at the same time...

Edited by sriracha john

FINALLY..... Samak speaks a bit of the truth... sarcastic or not...

Samak "blames" Thaksin for political predicament

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej has said Thailand would not have plunged into the turmoil if ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra kept out of politics.

"On board flying back (from Kuala Lumpur), I closed my eyes and thought - if there was no Thaksin forming the political party, our country would not be in the political mayhem," he said at the Suvarnabhumi Airport on Thursday's night.

It is still unclear whether Samak was being sarcastic. Samak denied speculation that he would call a snap election after the charter rewrite. He said the revised charter would not take effect until the next government came into power.

- The Nation (today)

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej has said Thailand would not have plunged into the turmoil if ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra kept out of politics.

"On board flying back (from Kuala Lumpur), I closed my eyes and thought - if there was no Thaksin forming the political party, our country would not be in the political mayhem," he said at the Suvarnabhumi Airport on Thursday's night.

It is still unclear whether Samak was being sarcastic. Samak denied speculation that he would call a snap election after the charter rewrite. He said the revised charter would not take effect until the next government came into power.

- The Nation (today)

He admitted being a proxy for Thaksin, then denied it when the party was charged, and now admits it again. :D

Over the heated argument about Chalerm's son yesterday, Chalerm said he was ready to listen and take advice from anyone, except the Democrats. :D

Grown men with the brain equivalent of little school children.

No shame, no pride. :o

- The Nation (today)

He admitted being a proxy for Thaksin, then denied it when the party was charged, and now admits it again. :o

I made this point sometime last week. When it is a comment from Samak, don't believe what is put in the newspapers. It isn't the media that is at fault. Samak says what is in his best interests at that moment. When the situation changes, he then changes his comments and says the media misquoted him. Then the media quotes him, he changes again and says the media misquoted him again. This goes on and on and on.

Thailand politics is giving new meaning to 'you can fool all of the people some of the time' I do not remember ever reading so many contridictary statements made by the same person on so many topics in such a short time in office. Others justify actions by themselves or others which benifit them, family, business intrests, etc as its not wrong as it was done to right past actions which are not good for the majority of the people (politicans) In this way they feel no one is insulted nor do they lose face, unless it is someone who questions their actions. The current group seems to be making a unparalleled effort (even for Thailand) to thumb their nose at the people and defiy any one to try to do anything about it.

Thailand's Television Rating System:

(ก) For children aged 2 - 6.

(ด) For children aged 6 - 12.

(ท) For all ages.

(น) Parental Guidance: children and youth viewers should be advised by adults during viewing.

(น 13) Unsuitable for children under 13

(น 18) Unsuitable for children under 18

(ฉ) For viewers aged 18 and above only.

================================================================================

The quintessential, par excellence role model of Thailand...

1806-01.jpg

Obscene but not heard?

Should children be protected from watching Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej discuss issues of state on television because of his 'improper' language and slips of the tongue?

PM Samak Sundaravej's aggressive talk on his Sunday morning radio and television programme has prompted critics to call for it to be rated. Ratings officials and the news media have mixed reactions to this.

Chulalongkorn University's mass communications' school's Wilasinee Piphittakul, a member of the national rating committee, says the programme should be designated "Nor Nu 13 [น 13]", which requires parental guidance for viewers younger than 13. She says it's a programme that contains personal views and comment which demand audience discretion to determine credibility.

Wilasinee says the Public Relations Department, which oversees the rating committee, has not called a meeting of the panel since this government came to power in February.

"So there's been no discussion of what rating his programme should get," she says.

The prime minister's "Talking Samak Style" show airs every Sunday between 8.30 and 9.30am on state-run NBT, formerly known as Channel 11, and PRD-controlled radio stations.

Itthiphol Pritiprasong, a Mahidol University lecturer who sits on a working group charged with developing a new rating system, says Samak's show is a news programme and therefore requires no rating. But because of the host's aggressive manner and use of "impolite" language, parental discretion is required if minors are watching. He adds that impolite language, mostly due to slips of the tongue, are common today in news programmes, where anchorpersons often add personal views.

"This is a problem of ethics. The law cannot be applied in this respect, but if there is some kind of social control, viewers can choose to ignore bad programmes," he says.

Uajit Wirottrairat, head of the Institute of Private Sector Media Development, believes if Samak's show is rated it would be for "general" viewing, or for people of all ages. She has never watched the programme. :o:D

In early broadcasts Samak often used the words dat jarit, or fake, to describe his critics. Sarcastic messages are also part of counterattacks on those who oppose him.

However, Samak has appeared more careful recently in picking his words, although there are still "slips of the tongue."

For example, in his programme last Sunday, the PM at one point used the derogatory word ai in reference to the Constitution. He quickly retracted it.

Some examples of Samakisms *hahaha... that neologism was STOLEN from me from my Posts #790 and #866*:

>> "... I wonder why they keep their mouths shut ..."

>> "... idiot radio station ..."

>> " ... where on earth do they hide their heads ..."

- Sunday Xpress / April 27, 2008

Edited by sriracha john

It's Sunday, so here's a wonderful little "Samakism"....

Samak says Boeing 777 has one weak point - no place for him to vomit

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej said Sunday that his critics criticized him so much that he felt like vomiting during his flight from a foreign trip to Bangkok.

He said was on board Boeing 777 when he read a bunch of newspapers.

"After reading them, I feel like vomiting. The Boeing 777 is a very good plane but it has no place for me to vomit," Samak said in his weekly "Talk in Samak's Style" broadcast live on Channel 11.

- The Nation (today)

================================================================================

No word yet from Boeing Headquarters in Seattle if they will use this Samakism as their new advertising campaign slogan, but they are reportedly considering it as a new ringtone to offer free to its bigger shareholders....

"The Boeing 777 is a very good plane, but it has no place for me to vomit" along with a little melodic background music should be expected to heard in many executive restrooms soon.

Edited by sriracha john

Slip of the tongue my ass.

If they had an iota of professionalism and social responsibility in them, such language wouldn't be aired, knowing well of Samak's macaque-like behaviour, the program would be pre-recorded, allowing for editing. I guess partisan media helps in getting his rude message through to their public genital-whipping zombies.

Flying in a B-777 for a short trip from Malaysia or Laos?

Flying in a B-777 for a short trip from Malaysia or Laos?

Why not?

Done it NUMEROUS times (flown on a B777 -not vomit! :D ) between BKK and CNX on Thai.

As far as not having a place to vomit....?? That comment alone shows how much of a mental midget the guy is :o

Perhaps someone, in his entourage, might alert the PM to the existence of rest-rooms, on board modern jet-aircraft ?

When not being used for their proper (or improper) function, by members of the mile-high-club, I understand these have a minor secondary role, as places for vomiting or other bodily functions. :o

It's Sunday, so here's a wonderful little "Samakism"....

Samak says Boeing 777 has one weak point - no place for him to vomit

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej said Sunday that his critics criticized him so much that he felt like vomiting during his flight from a foreign trip to Bangkok.

He said was on board Boeing 777 when he read a bunch of newspapers.

"After reading them, I feel like vomiting. The Boeing 777 is a very good plane but it has no place for me to vomit," Samak said in his weekly "Talk in Samak's Style" broadcast live on Channel 11.

- The Nation (today)

No word yet from Boeing Headquarters in Seattle if they will use this Samakism as their new advertising campaign slogan, but they are reportedly considering it as a new ringtone to offer free to its bigger shareholders....

"The Boeing 777 is a very good plane, but it has no place for me to vomit" along with a little melodic background music should be expected to heard in many executive restrooms soon.

As the story expands to international level, Boeing is thinking long and hard about the potential new slogan.....

Thai prime minister nauseous over critics and "coup plotters"

Thailand's outspoken Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej said Sunday that his official jet could do with some modifications, for special needs that arise after he reads critical press reports.

Speaking on his weekly television show, the right-wing leader of the People Power Party said his critics are so unreasonable and intent on causing chaos that he wanted to throw up on one recent trip out of Bangkok.

"The Boeing 777 is a very good plane, but it has no place for me to vomit," he said on "Talk in Samak's Style" on Channel 11.

He also accused an influential activists' group of seeking to provoke another coup by causing chaos in the streets with a rowdy seminar at a Bangkok university Friday. The People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) organized street protests that helped undermine former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra. Thaksin was overthrown in a coup in September 2006 by a military that accused him of rampant corruption and cronyism.

Samak openly declared himself a proxy during the 2007 campaign, from which Thaksin was banned by court order.

The PAD accused the government of seeking to amend a 2007 constitution so as to permit Thaksin and scores of political colleagues to re-enter politics. Samak's party and its two allies also face possible dissolution if a legal enquiry deems them guilty of vote rigging.

Friday's seminar turned noisy *and violent* because a pro-Thaksin group intervened to accuse the academic critics of bias and treason.

Samak defended his weekly broadcasts as necessary to counter what he called dishonest reporting.

"We can't allow these people to say as they please and have the government sit and listen to them without a channel to defend itself, which was the case was during the Thaksin Shinawatra administration."

- DPA / 27.04.08

PPP puts off plan to amend charter

Wants to ensure support from its coalition allies

The PPP has decided to defer its plan to rewrite the constitution to make sure it can muster enough support from other coalition parties to push for the amendment bill to pass through its first reading in parliament. The postponement of the much-anticipated meeting of all six party leaders originally set for yesterday comes amid mounting concern by the PPP over the reluctance of other parties to back it. The PPP needs 316 votes from members of both houses for the bill to pass. PM Samak, also the PPP Leader, on Sunday called off a meeting with five coalition party leaders, citing engagements at other functions. But Chart Thai member Warawuth Silpa-archa said the PM had not contacted his father and Party Leader, Banharn, who returned from China on Sunday. "Chart Thai will wait for formal contact [from the PM]. So far, there has been none," Warawuth said. Matchima Thipataya Leader Anongwan Thepsuthin and Puea Pandin Leader Suvit Khunkitti also said they were waiting for invitations from Samak. The PM said it was necessary for all the coalition party leaders to meet and discuss the charter amendment plan and find a common ground before the draft amendment bill is presented to parliament for consideration. Prinya Thewanaruemitkul, Vice-Rector of Thammasat University, said Samak wanted to make sure of solid backing for the charter amendment plan. Failure to pass the first reading could deal the government a blow, he said. Prinya said the proposed amendment plan had been stalled partly by Chart Thai and Puea Pandin disagreeing over the issues of the EC and NCCC and the transitory provisions in the proposal. Puea Pandin recently said the priority of the government should be tackling economic problems affecting the people rather than pressing for changes to the charter.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/29Apr2008_news01.php

More fall-out from Samak's relaunching Chalerm's dubious son...

Image3353333.jpg

Buriram Activist Group Opposes Interior Minister's Son's Reinstatement in Army

Activist groups in the northeastern province of Buriram disagree with the government's action allowing the Interior minister's son to return to military service. Meanwhile, a group that supports the charter rewrite launches a new official website.

Krit Oupachan-pangwongse, Leader of an Army Reserve group in Buriram Province, and Srimuang Watanachip, representative of a local activist group, held a press conference to oppose the case of the Defence Minister and the Interior Minister violating the army's practice by authorizing the military reinstatement to the Interior Minister's son, Duang Yoobamrung, despite his being stripped of his rank due to his alleged involvement in a brutal pub killing almost seven years ago.

The groups asked the government to realize about moral principal as well as good governance, and stop intervening in the operations of the army and police. The two groups insisted that they will fight with everything to maintain justice and protect the nation and the monarchy as a priority.

- Thailand Outlook (today)

Poll Chief hits back at 'abusive' PM Samak

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej switched to "no comment" mode yesterday after he lashed out at an Abac poll on Monday that revealed people are not happy with the government's lack of achievement in tackling the issues of rising living costs and its attempt to change the Constitution.

Samak said the poll "sucks." This led to an equally strong reaction from Director of Abac Poll, Noppadol Kannikar, who said it was unbecoming behaviour from a man who is the prime minister.

Now Samak has gone quiet on the issue.

"I didn't hear his reaction and I don't have any comment," PM Samak said yesterday.

Noppadol said the Abac poll is always carried out in a rigorous manner and there is no hired gun or interest group to influence its findings. He warned that Samak's "aggressive verbal abuse" and "emotional violence" would set a bad example to children. He added that Samak should have replied with an argument using reason and knowledge instead.

The poll also revealed that a high percentage of people were "uncomfortable" with the behaviour of some politicians and the current political climate.

Samak said on Monday the questionnaire used in the Abac poll was "incomprehensible," especially some of the figures used.

- The Nation (today)

Thai PM Jokes That Neighbor Myanmar's Draft Constitution Offers A '50 Percent Democracy'

BANGKOK, THAILAND: Thailand's prime minister joked Wednesday that neighboring Myanmar is striving to become a "50 percent democracy" because the ruling junta's draft constitution would keep detained opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi from elected office.

Myanmar's people will vote in a May 10 referendum on a proposed constitution that critics say is a sham designed to cement military rule.

One clause effectively bars Suu Kyi from power by stating that no one married to a foreigner can hold elected office. Suu Kyi, whose late husband was British, is under house arrest and has been detained for 12 of the past 18 years.

"They will not release her. They're keeping her on the shelf," Thailand's notoriously outspoken Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej joked while speaking to reporters after meeting with Myanmar's Prime Minister Lt. Gen. Thein Sein in Bangkok.

"This is the way of a 50 percent democracy," Samak said.

Thein Sein was in Thailand on a three-day visit and discussed the referendum with Samak.

"Myanmar's prime minister said they are holding the referendum on the constitution because they want the world community to know that Myanmar is a democracy lover," Samak said on behalf of Thein Sein, who declined to speak to reporters.

Myanmar has been under military rule since 1962. The current junta says the constitution will pave the way for elections in 2010.

According to Samak, Thein Sein said that once the constitution is approved the government will allow political parties to "form and develop. Those parties will run in elections, and after elections the military will pull out of politics."

Despite his joking, Samak reiterated Thailand's "support for the referendum and their efforts toward establishing democratic rule."

Myanmar's leaders "are confident they will be able to create political parties and politicians in two years," Samak said.

Samak's government has publicly voiced support for Myanmar's military-backed draft constitution in spite of criticism from the United Nations and many Western nations.

Samak said that Thailand offered to have its election commissioners help manage the Myanmar referendum, but that Thein Sein did not respond.

The junta has also ignored the U.N.'s offers to send international election observers to oversee the referendum.

- Associated Press (today)

Even more absurdity...

Thai PM says Myanmar's Suu Kyi detention is "OK"

BANGKOK - Thailand has no problem with the prolonged house arrest in Myanmar of opposition leader and Nobel Peace Prize laureate Aung San Suu Kyi, Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej said on Wednesday.

After a meeting in Bangkok with his counterpart from military-ruled Myanmar, Lieutenant-General Thein Sein, Samak said the former Burma's ruling generals had no plans to release 62-year-old Suu Kyi either before or after next month's constitutional referendum.

"They are not releasing her, but they will not interfere with her. They will put her on the shelf and not bother with her, which is unacceptable to foreigners," Samak, a vitriolic 72-year-old right-winger, told reporters.

"We think it's OK if she is put on the shelf. But others admire her because of it," he said.

Samak's comments are at odds with Bangkok's standard line that Suu Kyi's release would be welcome as part of moves towards democracy and political reconciliation in its pariah neighbour -- a major supplier of energy to Thailand.

Oxford-educated Suu Kyi, the daughter of independence hero Aung San and as such the icon of the democracy movement, has been under house arrest or in prison for more than 12 of the last 18 years. Her last period of detention stretches back to May 2003.

Her National League for Democracy (NLD) party won a crushing election victory in 1990, with more than 80 percent of the seats, only to see the junta ignore the result and refuse to cede any power.

The current junta is billing the May 10 referendum as a key stage in a seven-step "roadmap to democracy" that should culminate in multi-party elections in 2010, as a replacement to the absolute power wielded by the army since a 1962 coup. The NLD and Western governments dismiss the roadmap and the army-drafted constitution as a blueprint for the generals cementing their grip on power.

The NLD is leading a "no" campaign against the charter, which gives the army a quarter of the seats in parliament, control of key ministries and the right to suspend the constitution at will.

Thai Foreign Minister Noppadol Pattama said Bangkok did not want to see cheating or intimidation in the plebiscite after reports of opposition campaigners being arrested or beaten.

"The referendum must be credible and be participated in by all sides with a standard that the world community likes to see, and most importantly it must be a free and fair exercise," he told reporters.

Earlier this month, the United States had circulated a draft statement to the United Nations Security Council which said if the May referendum and elections planned for 2010 were to be "inclusive and credible", the junta had to "allow full participation of all political actors," including Suu Kyi, and called on the military to move quickly to a genuine dialogue with her.

- Reuters (today)

Samak defended his weekly broadcasts as necessary to counter what he called dishonest reporting.

- DPA / 27.04.08

Swearing PM cancels media briefings

From correspondents in Bangkok

April 30, 2008 10:07pm

THAILAND's gruff, colourful Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej is he was cancelling his twice-weekly press briefings for fear that he may publicly utter "rude words".

Mr Samak, a former TV chef and self-styled "man of the people" who led the People Power Party (PPP) to election victory last December, has taken some flak from the press for his direct manner of speaking.

The criticism has clearly stung, as Mr Samak said he would no longer hold press conferences on Tuesdays and Fridays.

"I was criticised as prime minister and they (the public) said I have used impolite words, so to solve this problem and so that I do not utter such rude words, I must not talk," Mr Samak said.

"From now on I will not give media interviews on Tuesday and Friday because they attack me ... Many senior citizens have said they have never seen any prime minister speak vulgar words."

Mr Samak is a colourful public speaker, who is prone to using slang seen by some upper-class Thais as unbecoming to a prime minister.

Not known for his diplomacy, he has in the past urged Thais worried about rising pork prices to "eat chicken", and uses his Sunday "Talking Samak Style" television program to complain in detail about the Thai media.

Cont http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...5003402,00.html

Image876.jpg3533.jpg

Thai PM Endorses Burmese Junta's Ban against Suu Kyi

The Thai prime minister endorsed the Burmese junta's barring opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi from future general elections.

Prime Minister and Defense Minister Samak Sundaravej led Burmese Prime Minister General Thein Sein on a ceremonial inspection of the troops, a gesture extended to welcome his Burmese counterpart

After the discussion session, the Thai premier commented on Burma's pending referendum on May 10th and the junta's preventing Aung San Suu Kyi from getting involved in the general election.

He said that it is not wrong for the junta to keep the National League for Democracy leader out of political affairs.

The anti-junta movement is campaigning against the new Constitution, which stipulates that anyone married to a foreigner is not eligible to run in an election. The clause indicates that the junta's intention is to bar Suu Kyi because she is married to an English man.

Also, the charter stipulates that 25 per cent of seats in Parliament be reserved for the Army, which has the right to suspend the charter at will.

PM Thein Sein is on an official visit to Thailand. He arrived in Bangkok yesterday afternoon and will stay until tomorrow.

- Thailand Outlook (today)

Edited by sriracha john

Hold your horses, Samak and Chalerm.....not so fast...

Duang faces wait to get back in army

The process to reinstate Interior Minister Chalerm Yubamrung's youngest son Duang as a sub-lieutenant in the army has not yet begun, Deputy Supreme Commander Veeravit Gongsakdi said yesterday. A panel must first be set up to look into the request to restore his rank and reinstate him, ACM Veeravit said. If it is agreed, a proposal must then be submitted for His Majesty the King's endorsement. Along with his request, Duang must explain where he was in the two weeks he was absent without leave, which culminated in his dismissal. He must also present a certificate of good behaviour from his most recent superior. Duang, formerly Duangchalerm, was dishonourably discharged and stripped of his rank after he became a prime suspect in the fatal shooting of Pol Sgt-Maj Suvichai Rodwimut, a detective in the Crime Suppression Division, at Twenty Pub on Ratchadaphisek road in 2001. He went into hiding soon after the shooting and failed to report for work after the army gave him a 15-day deadline. The Criminal Court later cleared him of the murder, citing lack of evidence and conflicting witness testimony. The verdict caused a public furore. ACM Veeravit said Duang was now a ''designate'' sub-lieutenant. The air chief marshal also headed the disciplinary panel into the fatal shooting :o

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/01May2008_news12.php

Time Magazine Q & A: Samak Sundaravej

After just three months in office, Thai Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej has already bested naysayers who predicted his coalition government wouldn't last two weeks. Although he told TIME last year that he had campaigned as the "nominee" of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who was deposed by a military coup in 2006, Samak has recently distanced himself from the ex-premier.

Sitting in the neo-Italianate splendor of Bangkok's Government House, Samak talked to TIME's Hannah Beech about running Thailand. Excerpts:

TIME: Has Thai democracy returned to normal?

We were on the front line of ASEAN. After a year and a half [of military rule], we dropped back. When they staged the coup, the U.S. [and other nations] turned their back to us. Now that we have an elected government, they have all turned [back to] us.

What caused the 2006 military coup?

Because Thaksin happened to enter politics, because of his ideas, because of his riches, so it created envy in politics. Thaksin used another way to run the country. Chuan [Leekpai, Thaksin's predecessor] used the "bureaucracy way." Everything had to be by law first. But Thaksin took a little bit of risk—we call it a "commercialized way." When [Thaksin won another] term, [the political establishment] thought Thaksin would stay forever. That's why a handful of the military staged a coup.

Are you Thaksin's Prime Minister?

It is an insult to ask me that question.

Do you consult with him on political matters?

No, I can do [things] on my own. I am a politician. I am a leader of a party. I was in [previous] cabinets eight times. And one time as governor of Bangkok. I know I can perform.

You just met with Burmese Prime Minister Thein Sein. What is your understanding of the continued detention of democracy activist Aung San Suu Kyi?

The [burmese] military and Aung San Suu Kyi hate each other. But the military says they will release her if she stays away from politics. It's so easy, it doesn't harm anything. No torture, just that she must be out of politics.

Why did you recently cancel your twice-weekly press conferences?

[Critics] said that I did not speak good words. So no talking, no wrongdoing. I'm like a new driver. I need training to use the right words. To stay away from awkward things, I canceled [the press conferences]. It has helped quite a lot.

- Time Magazine / 02-05-08

Edited by sriracha john

Minister Samak Sundaravej said Friday that his new book titled, "Politics and Passion", will be published on March 20. He said he wrote the book 30 years ago and a publisher wants to publish it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unknown whether or not the title, Politics and Passion, is derived from and inspired by his fetching wife (the one on the left). :o

Depends on what she looked like 30 years ago, I suppose

r.jpg

So this is what it comes down to....boorish and sarcastic remarks about a blameless elderly woman who has nothing to do with politics.

Agreed, leave his wife out of it, until she starts running as a proxy for her husband, leave her be and focus on the man himself.

Not quite yet a proxy, but would I be correct if I presumed that "Official Husband Gagger" qualifies?

Samak gagged by wife, not by 'puyai'

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej cancelled his weekly interview with reporters because his wife told him so, Government Spokesman Wichianchote Sukchokerat said Friday.

Wichianchote he inquired Samak who he referred to as "puyai (senior people)" when he said he was asked by a puyai to cancel his weekly interview and Samak replied that it was his senior relatives and his wife.

Wichianchote said he decided to ask Samak after the press widely speculated as to whom Samak was referring to.

The spokesman said the prime minster gave him a green light to explain the issue to the media.

- The Nation (today)

Thai media group says prime minister harasses reporters

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej routinely harasses reporters and attempts to intimidate the media with his foul mouth, a coalition of Thai journalism groups charged Saturday.

The Organizations of Media Occupations, which represents three Thai journalism groups, said the tactics are aimed at giving the public the impression that the media is the source of all the country's problems.

"This is the new method of intimidation,'' the group said in a statement coinciding with World Press Freedom Day. "Samak has been using the state media, the state television to scold the media with rude and dirty words with his intention to intimidate the media from reporting the news in a straightforward way.''

It also accused the government of using criminal defamation laws to stifle the media, and the prime minister of using state-owned media outlets to counter stories that run in the privately owned media.

"This behavior reflects his intolerance toward different views, which entirely contradicts (the) culture of democracy,'' the group said of Samak.

The government's spokesman, Wichianchote Sukchotrat, refused to comment on the allegations.

Samak, who became prime minister in January after leading his People's Power Party to victory in the December general election, said Wednesday he would stop holding twice-a-week news conferences following strong criticism about the blunt and sometimes crude language he uses.

Samak said that a prominent figure in Thai society, whom he refused to name, told him to tone down his language. He said he was also asked to tone down the language he uses during his one-man Sunday television and radio talk shows.

The prime minister's long-standing bent for speaking bluntly has won him popularity with working-class and some middle-class voters during his four decades in Thai politics, but he is also disliked by many who find his style too provocative and crude.

Samak, who usually espouses right-wing positions, has in the past berated the press for being a "burden on development'' and complained that reporters ask "lousy'' questions.

When a female Thai reporter once inquired about rumors of infighting within his party before he became prime minister, he snapped back: "Did you have sinful sex last night?''

Associated Press / 05-03-08

There's no need for Photoshop when 100% of the real thing results in completely unadulterated poses like this...

chubby.jpg

Samak uses crude language to bully, discredit media, journalists say

The country's journalists' association says PM Samak Sundaravej has an "antagonistic" relationship with the press and this poses a "threat to the freedom of the press."

It adds that the PM's unfortunate ways are "counter-productive to the development of democratic society".

Samak's crude language, abrasive manner, reluctance to cooperate and rebuttal of criticism during interviews are "aimed at discrediting the media and preventing it from scrutinising the government".

The association's 142-page study coincides with World Press Freedom Day yesterday and was conducted by watchdog Media Monitor.

It recalls the PM's most notorious moment when he retorted to persistent questioning from a reporter with the "indecent" question: "Did you fornicate last night?" It cites his frequent use of "crude words" on his weekly television segment.

"As a prime minister, he fails to understand his role in the political-communication process and at the same time chooses to ignore the important role of the news media in democratic society by failing to respect its dignity and prestige," the association statement says. It says Samak's contributions are not "useful".

Deliberately incoherent

It asserts he "often chooses to be incoherent or does not give the right answer. When he answers, his answer always conveys less important information, or he gives answers intended to end the interview as quickly as possible. Meanwhile his lengthy answers also lack substance."

The monitor adds that Samak "strikes back at reporters with questions, scorning interviewers, spinning news, questioning questions and refusing to answer."

Samak is "too often satirical" when referring to a third party and uses comparisons "to sneer at opponents or ideas that oppose his."

It notes the PM resorts to foul language when commenting on the news media and opponents, but never when describing himself or his government.

- Daily XPress (today)

Edited by sriracha john

Chuan [Leekpai, Thaksin's predecessor] used the "bureaucracy way." Everything had to be by law first

Law...imagine that :o

I still can't believe anyone voted for this peanut. The most obnoxious prime minister in Thai history. I think I'd even prefer to have Taksin back.