Samak Sundaravej was elected

Jai Dee

It's Sunday.... so time for more kind words from the role model Prime Minister...

9586-SamakSundaravej.gif

Samak curses newspapers columnists for accusing him to receive kickbacks

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej Sunday cursed newspapers' columnists to face extreme bad luck for accusing him of receiving kickbacks from sugar traders by allowing the sugar retail price to rise.

He said some columnists made indirect allegations and a columnist straightforwardly alleged that he received 500 Million Baht from sugar traders.

He said the allegations were not true.

"If the allegations are not true, I would like to curse the columnists to face extreme bad luck and suffer," Samak said during his Talk Samak Style programme on NBT channel.

- The Nation

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Followed by...

samaktalks.jpg

Samak vows not to change his style when dealing with media

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej Sunday said he had done nothing wrong when retaliating to the media that criticised him.

Speaking during his Talk Samak Style, Samak was responding to the Thai Journalist Association's statement issued on Saturday. The association alleged that Samak's style was a form of media intimidation.

But Samak said he had his rights to respond to the media that criticised him and he would not change his style.

He said he was not the kind of prime minister to talk sweet to the media.

"I am like this and I will not change," Samak said.

- The Nation (today)

Time Magazine Q & A: Samak Sundaravej

No, I can do [things] on my own. I am a politician. I am a leader of a party. I was in [previous] cabinets eight times. And one time as governor of Bangkok. I know I can perform.

[Critics] said that I did not speak good words. So no talking, no wrongdoing. I'm like a new driver. I need training to use the right words. To stay away from awkward things, I canceled [the press conferences]. It has helped quite a lot.

- Time Magazine / 02-05-08

I am highly experienced, but I also need training, so which is it ? Poor old man seems somewhat confused, without his owner, to tell him just exactly what to say. :o

and concluding with...

samaktalks2.jpg

Samak says his weekly interview with reporters to be permanently ended

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej said Sunday that he would not revive his weekly interview with Government House reporters because of the Thai Journalist Association's statement that denounces him.

Samak said since the association denounced him that he had intimidated the media through his style of responding to reporters' questions, he would not resume his weekly interview with reporters.

He said he would not mind if the media would not report his activities because he had his Talk Samak Style programme to communicate with the public.

- The Nation (today)

Edited by sriracha john

Thailand is facing a crisis of democracy.

Beginning with 1932 abolition of absolute monarchy "elite" Thais followed norms and rules set by Westerners - parties, constitutions, freedom of press, separating of powers - the whole nine yards.

Now, when some politicians decided to really tap into the voting power of masses, they offered a completely different set up, more in tune with aspirations of the bottom half of Thai population than with elites.

From those poor Thais perspective all those lofty concepts like independent judiciary, "supreme law of the land", "checks and balances", role of the media - they don't even register. They are still mired in absolute monarchy concept, they think that in democracy they can elect their absolute leader who is allowed to exercise absolute power.

From that perspective whatever the PM says or does is untouchable, no one has the right to question him and the PM can do anything he wants to crash his critics. The only legitimate way to express your own opinion is at the ballot box once in every four years and so critics are not playing by the rules.

Now we effectively have two Thailands - one that is grown under the influence of the elites and their imported democracy, and the other that is growing from bottom up, unfortunately led by less scrupulous characters like Thaksin, Samak, or Chalerm, people who failed to advance under "western" rules.

These two Thailands need two different constutions. For elites and middle classes, and for politicians who lead the rest of the country (they said it themselves - we, the politicians, use the constution every day, so it should be written for our convenience). Last year the military wrote a constution for the first group, this year PPP is writing another one for themselves.

I wish Anek updated his old "tale of two democracies" study to reflect these recent changes. I bet he'll find that the gap in perception has grown wider in the past decade, and that urbanites/middle classes have grown to absolutely detest the democracy imposed by politicians while the "peasants" appreciation for "elites" is at the all time low as well.

Most imporantly, no matter which kind of democracy prevails, it is really a battle between few leaders for the hearts and minds of many, and so the result is judged by the quality of the winners, not the people who have been won over.

If only Surayud had been more effective... , if only Thaksin was less corrupt... , if only Abhisit was attractive to the farmers...

Thai PM stops press interviews on Tuesdays, Fridays

BANGKOK, May 4 (TNA) - Thai Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej said Sunday he will stop granting interviews to the press on Tuesdays and Fridays, one day after press freedom advocates accused him of threatening freedom of the press and that he is personally counter-productive to the development of democratic society.

Speaking during his weekly TV and radio address, Samak, who has governed the country since February 6, said a group of reporters had stood in front of Government House and charged him with intimidating the media over the past three months, which he said was totally unfair because "these people (the journalists) had attacked him on numerous occasions" while he had never despised them, but instead had honoured them.

The prime minister was referring to a group of local reporters wearing white T-shirts with a message in Thai which could be translated as 'Intimidating the media is intimidating the people' at the gate of Government House on Friday to mark the World Press Freedom Day, which fell on Saturday.

A media organisation in a report issued Saturday also said Samak's crude language, his abrasive manner, his reluctance to cooperate with the media and his rebuttal of criticism during media interviews are shown as intending to discredit the media and preventing professional communicators from carrying out their function of reporting and critiquing the government's performance.

Samak said intimidation must come in the form of closing newspaper offices, ordering police to arrest journalists without reason or ordering journalists to stop writing articles which are negative to the government.

But, he lamented, "I answered their questions by using my style of language and this had become a significant issue. This is funny."

It would be better to stop giving press interviews every Tuesday and Friday, said Samak, saying that he felt that the less he talked, the fewer differences there would be with the media.

But he said that his weekly address, given on every Sunday morning, on a government television and radio stations, will continue as he wants to "communicate with the people" and he also believes that the programme is useful to listeners.

Spokesman: Samak misquoted on House dissolution

Prime Minister [and criminal litigant] Samak Sundaravej did not say that he will dissolve parliament after the constitution is amended, Deputy Spokesman of Prime Minister's Office [and criminal litigant] Nuttawut Saikua said Thursday. Nuttawut insisted Samak will lead the government until he completes his four-year term.

One [criminal litigant] contradicts another [criminal litigant]....

Samak confirms early election

Poll will be held after charter amendment

PM Samak Sundaravej yesterday reiterated that the House would be dissolved and there would be an early election after the constitution is amended, intensifying criticism that the move is self-serving. During his visit to Malaysia, Samak told a group of Thai businessmen that his administration would not be around when the amended constitution is in place. He said that after the constitution is amended a general election would be held and a new government would be elected to carry out its work under the revised charter. Samak earlier said there would be a House dissolution if three of the coalition parties (People Power, Matchima Thipataya and Chart Thai) were dissolved by the Constitution Court. It is believed that the chief targets of the charter review are Articles 237 and 309. Without these two articles, the PPP and its two coalition partners would not face dissolution. Thaksin, who is fighting corruption charges, might get away with his alleged wrongdoing and all 111 banned politicians might have their political rights returned.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/25Apr2008_news01.php

samaktalks2.jpg

Samak says his weekly interview with reporters to be permanently ended

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej said Sunday that he would not revive his weekly interview with Government House reporters because of the Thai Journalist Association's statement that denounces him.

Samak said since the association denounced him that he had intimidated the media through his style of responding to reporters' questions, he would not resume his weekly interview with reporters.

He said he would not mind if the media would not report his activities because he had his Talk Samak Style programme to communicate with the public.

- The Nation (today)

The dual criminal litigant gameshow is back in the news....

Image.jpg

Government Spokespersons to give weekly press interviews for PM

Government Spokesman Wichienchote Sukchoterat commented on Prime Minister and Defense Minister [and criminal litigant] Samak Sundaravej's refusal to give weekly press interviews, saying problems would not arise since the team of government spokespersons would be responsible for providing information to the media.

He says the Deputy Government Spokesman [and criminal litigant], Nattawut Saikua, may have to add more days for giving press interviews.

Pol. Lt. Gen. Wichienchote says Prime Minister Samak has told the team of government spokespersons to perform their duties as usual. :D:o

- ThaiNews (today)

The zany verbal follies of the Prime Minister continue....

Bank denial

PM Samak has denied saying two commercial banks were on the verge of jeng, or bankruptcy even though his TV interview led to a run on the two banks. Samak was replying to a question put to him by Democrat MP Korn Chatikavanij during a House meeting on Thursday. Mr Korn said Samak's interview on a television show on Tuesday had caused adverse effects on the economy. According to Mr Korn, Samak told the show's host the banks had serious problems and were about to go bankrupt, forcing a sell-out to foreigners, despite a cash injection of about eight billion baht from the Bank of Thailand's Financial Institutions Development Fund (FIDF) to bail them out. Mr Korn said Samak's comments had panicked investors and prompted a run on BankThai and Siam City Bank branches over the past two days by people trying to withdraw their savings. Samak insisted he did not tell the television audience the banks in question would collapse. He claimed he only said the banks faced problems related to the cash injection of 8 billion baht and the dumping of shares held by the FIDF to other investors. "What I said was aimed at encouraging agencies concerned to make a prompt response to me. If it's not true I, as the PM, will lose face, but if it's true, they have to be responsible for it," said Samak.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=127565

2091-01.jpg

SOUTHERN INSURGENCY

PM tells militants to lay down arms

Samak strives to boost morale of soldiers on his first visit to the South; calls insurgents 'misguided people'

PM Samak Sundaravej yesterday called on insurgents, who he referred to as "misguided people," in the South to put down their arms and contribute to a Thailand nation-state.

Accompanied by top military brass, including Army Chief General Anupong Paochinda and Police Chief General Patcharawat Wong-suwan, Samak provided no details, but stated that insurgents wanting to surrender could do so by reporting to the authorities.

"I want to tell all those people [insurgents] who have been misled into taking up arms and creating disturbances to stop, because all sides want peace, and if the misled people want to surrender they can do so by reporting to the authorities," Samak said.

Samak's visit to the insurgency-hit South yesterday was the first since he took office more than three months ago.

The prime minister, who used to host a television cooking show, said he would prepare a meal of basil chicken for about 30 soldiers to boost their morale.

"It's my duty to visit this area," he said.

The PM and his Interior Minister, Chalerm Yoobamrung, have come under criticism for not paying enough attention to the Deep South, where 3,000 people have died since January 2004.

- Daily Xpress (today)

======================================================================

Of additional note from other articles is that after all this time and making his first trip there, that he's scheduled to return the same day and not spend the night.

I hope he doesn't give anyone food poisoning from his cooking like Laos, but it's encouraging he at least decided not to cook moo tort for the guests.

Edited by sriracha john

PM Samak Sundaravej yesterday called on insurgents, who he referred to as "misguided people," in the South to put down their arms and contribute to a Thailand nation-state.

Glad that insurgency problem has been finally solved. Half a day's work for Samak.

However cooking up chicken only for soldiers smacks of discrimination.

>>>>

Thailand might just disown those provinces as the current government has absolutely no idea nor intention to do anything about the insurgency.

Glad that insurgency problem has been finally solved. Half a day's work for Samak.

However cooking up chicken only for soldiers smacks of discrimination.

>>>>

Thailand might just disown those provinces as the current government has absolutely no idea nor intention to do anything about the insurgency.

And only 30 soldiers at that............what about the rest who miss out on their pad kapao gai - how will they feel?

But at least we can be thankful he's not chucking it out of planes on Muslim villages as a symbol of reconciliation or blaming the foot soldiers for the problems, like his former patron and mentor, Cap'n Moonface. :o

I'm gonna start wearing a ballcap all the time from now now..... :o:D:D

and gloves... for "invisible hands"

Samak orders hunt for balding mystery man

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej has instructed police to search for the ''man with the receding hairline'' who tried to sabotage the government and the royal family. Samak said during his televised programme yesterday that the man was suspected of leaking news to instigate political divisions in the country. Samak also branded news coverage of the meeting of the army's top brass with Privy Council president Gen Prem Tinsulanonda as ''inauspicious''. Rumours of a coup and such coverage of an army meeting last Wednesday was seen by Samak as ''an intent to portray political divisions''. Samak said: ''That man with receding hairline broke the news that excited the people. That person called many people, including the police chief, to meet him.''

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/12May2008_news13.php

It only gets worse and worse with this further elaboration of Post #908...

EDITORIAL

The mouth that roars

PM Samak Sundaravej committed a terrible gaffe last week in discussing the affairs of two Thai banks during a TV interview. The really scary part, however, was his second error: Samak denied an error, defended his actions and of course demeaned his critics. The PM even seemed unaware that his comments caused a small run on the banks. He sparked arguably more panic in the halls of the Bank of Thailand, which had to rush to calm a potential customer crisis at bank branches. The incident ratcheted up old fears that Samak's love of rabble-rousing, now that he is PM, could land the whole country in trouble.

Samak began his self-appointed task to build a mountain from a molehill during what seemed to be a routine interview on the heavily-controlled National Broadcasting Services of Thailand (NBT). The interview seemed designed to let Samak cover some issues of the day. But without so much as a scripted question, he veered onto the subject of banking. Two Thai banks were in deep trouble, he said. It was so bad, in fact, that foreign investors were going to have to buy in. Both banks, he said, were under the supervision of the Financial Institutions Development Fund (FIDF), the restructuring arm of the Bank of Thailand. Investors and depositors needed no more clues to figure out that the PM was talking about BankThai and Siam City Bank. Many of them headed for the closest branches and started withdrawing their money. This is known as a bank run, and can have disastrous results. The Bank of Thailand was fast to react. Governor Tarisa Watanagase said there are no Thai banks in the FIDF projects which are in trouble. Shortly afterwards it became clear Samak had only garbled and misstated what was common knowledge in banking circles: that the FIDF still has to help out its banks from time to time. Most troubling is the premier's reaction. Instead of realising that a PM's words are carefully monitored and can have horrendous effects, Samak laughed it all off. He even told parliament he didn't say what was on the NBT tape.

The PM was clearly out of his league in discussing the banks, and even Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee was embarrassed, noting only - and correctly - that no banks were on the verge of collapse in a strong Thai system of financial houses.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/12May2008_news30.php

Edited by sriracha john

With popcorn and Coke, PM's weekly TV show ain't bad

Three friends came over to my house on Saturday and we spent the night drinking and playing cards. We were nursing a mini-hangover the next morning with snacks and cool beverages when Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej came on TV for his weekly programme.

With that came a great discovery. I had never thought that what usually could bore, frustrate or infuriate me to tears can be quite entertaining when watched with witty pals, potato chips and orange soda.

We had a great time discussing who "Ai Terk" (Balding Jerk) may have been. Our conclusion was Samak made this one up. Simple logic: If he is breaking every national security law of the land and his identity is so clear, why doesn't Samak arrest him? A possible explanation is the guy is too powerful to arrest. But then again, can such a powerful man who is beyond the arms of the law be easily ridiculed on TV, even by a prime minister?

All in all, if "Ai Terk" is real, Samak is unforgivably irresponsible if he fails to take action against someone found to be planning to sabotage a democratic government. Or he is being dangerously paranoid on the verge of dictatorship if "Ai Terk" is simply exercising his fundamental right to talk to people. In both cases, he's simply unfit to rule.

Samak is neither negligent nor dictatorial, we concluded. But why did he make it up? How many more times do we have to hear "Ai Terk's" name on TV? And can we sue Samak for causing us long-lasting trauma with a tale of a political psycho too powerful to be put in jail lurking and recruiting everyone from top military officers to junior newsroom staff?

Well, just as we can get our money's worth watching trashy movies and manage to laugh at the holes in their plots, too much questioning of Samak's motives can make us overlook his programme's entertainment values. It's in fact a privilege to have a national leader tell us conspiracy theories and keep us on the edge of our seat week in and week out.

If America could tell the world about weapons of mass destruction that have never been found, our prime minister has every right to terrify his own citizens with unsubstantiated stories about coups and political sedition unfolding at every corner. And before you lambast his "unconvincing" acting, remember practice will make perfect.

We used to be exasperated and anxious because we took Samak too seriously. It's not written down anywhere that every Thai prime minister has to publicly give "October 6" a respectable death toll, or cannot say local banks are doomed, only to deny having said it the next day. And there is no law prohibiting a prime minister from declaring himself somebody's

"nominee" and flip-flopping about that announcement for fun.

To be fair to Samak, even popcorn and Coke would not have helped Chuan Leekpai's weekly TV talk if he had returned to power.

October 6? "You'll have to look at the documents." Local banks unhealthy? "I have yet to see the reports." Will you dissolve Parliament? "It depends on what happens in the future."

So, next time you watch Samak, gather a few friends, set up a barbecue stove as well as have someone bring a case of beer. And, this is quite important, you can add to the fun by speculating what new appendages will be used as new clues. First it was an "invisible hand", and now it is a "balding head", so the next hint must be forthcoming.

All set and you will be rewarded with something intriguing and perhaps hilarious. Okay, we can't expect a statement such as "Everybody is out to get me because I'm trying to change the Constitution to serve my master", but how the same information is told in a different way will be worth your time and preparation.

Not every world leader - democratic or dictatorial - is capable of sending every government critic with a receding hairline scrambling to the mirror every time he goes on air. Some of those who match Samak's description must have received phone calls from worried relatives and friends. I know a columnist who is now answering every call with, "It isn't me, you fool."

An acting coach would ruin the weekly TV show, my friends and I decided. Of course, Samak might be better off discussing the "Ai Terk" conspiracy with the "Us or them" solemnity of George W Bush, but there is such a thing as "so bad it's good", and that's what we are talking about here.

- By Tulsathit Taptim, The Nation, May 14, 2008

I'm gonna start wearing a ballcap all the time from now now..... :o:D:D

and gloves... for "invisible hands"

Samak orders hunt for balding mystery man

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej has instructed police to search for the ''man with the receding hairline'' who tried to sabotage the government and the royal family. Samak said during his televised programme yesterday that the man was suspected of leaking news to instigate political divisions in the country. Samak also branded news coverage of the meeting of the army's top brass with Privy Council president Gen Prem Tinsulanonda as ''inauspicious''. Rumours of a coup and such coverage of an army meeting last Wednesday was seen by Samak as ''an intent to portray political divisions''. Samak said: ''That man with receding hairline broke the news that excited the people. That person called many people, including the police chief, to meet him.''

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/12May2008_news13.php

From the guys are that are continually cracking me up with factual translations of Thai newspapers.... 2bangkok.com

P5131787.jpg

Poojadkuan, May 13, 2008 - The balding men from all over the country gather and are furious at Samak for naming them.

Edited by sriracha john

The odd situation of political bed-mates in Thailand....

Mob leaders meet with PM

Leaders of the mob against the September 19th coup traveled to meet Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej at his residence today. Sources say that they will have important posts in the Cabinet.

The mob leaders include Jakrapob Penkair, Veera Musikapong, Jatuporn Phrompan, and Natthawut Saikua. The Prime Minister's Secretary, Theeraphol Phornrampha, also visited Samak’s residence this morning.

- ThaiNews

Detained nine anti-coup leaders to be taken to court at 4pm

Security has been tightened at Samsen police station and the Criminal Court on Friday as police make their ways through a thick crowd to get to the nine anti-coup leaders to transfer them from the station to the court.

The nine leaders were placed under police custody on Thursday night. They had led a mass anti-coup protest that turned violent, leaving more than 200 injured, mostly authorities, in front of Privy Councillor President Gen Prem Tinsulanond on July 22.

The nine in custody were Veera Musigapong, Jatuporn Phromphan, Jakrapob Penkair, Natthawut Saikua, Weng Tojirakarn, Wiputalaeng Patanapumithai, Manit Jitchanklab, Apiwan Wiriyachai and Jaran Ditaapichai.

Police have charged them with instigating violence and the assembling with intent to disturb the peace.

Chirmsak pins blame squarely on Jakrapob

Former senator Chirmsak Pinthong yesterday released an article to the media blaming PM's Office Minister Jakrapob Penkair for the removal of his radio programme - and revealed the executive of the station had asked him to cover up the issue.

Chirmsak last Tuesday gave up hosting his daily radio talk show after criticising Samak for allegedly covering up the Thammasat University massacre of October 6, 1976.

The programme, "Chirmsak's Views", was broadcast from 8-9pm on FM105, which is under the PRD.

The programme was removed after Chirmsak read an excerpt from a book written by Veera Musigapong, a former TRT Party executive, which said Samak had distorted the truth surrounding the killings of student protesters at Thammasat University.

Veera invites Thaksin to birthday party

Anti-coup activist Veera Musigapong has scheduled May 23 to celebrate his 60th birthday and his guest list includes Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej and expremier Thaksin Shinawatra, People Power Party MP Jatuporn Phongphan said Thursday.

If Samak and Thaksin show up, this will be their first time they would have appeared in public together since the government came to power in February.

The party will take place at Hall 9 at the IMPACT Muang Thong Thani, an exhibition centre.

- The Nation (today)

==============================================================================

p.s. Veera is also (TRT Banned #104)

p.s.s. If Veera, Samak, Thaksin, and Jatuporn are all together... that makes 4 current criminal litigants in one place at the same time. Hopefully the Bangkok Metropolitan Police are equipped to deal with this sort of thing....

• 2 weeks later...

Even for Samak and his lower than lowest standards.... this is atrocious....

Hmong Crisis: Thailand's Samak Uses Troops, Tear Gas

WASHINGTON, May 24 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --

Thailand's Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej ordered Thai Third Army troops to use tear gas and pepper spray today to seek to force hundreds of Lao Hmong refugees onto eleven buses to repatriate them back to the communist regime in Laos that they fled. On May 16, eight members of the U.S. Senate wrote a letter appealing to Prime Minister Samak and U.S. Secretary of State Rice to grant asylum to some 8,000 Hmong refugees and not force them back to Laos.

The letter was sent to U.S. Secretary of State Rice by Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT), Senator Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI), Senator Russell Feingold (D-WI), Senator Herb Kohl (D-WI), Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA), Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), Senator Amy Klobuchar (D-MN) and Senator Norm Coleman (R-MN).

"The Hmong people are joining with the U.S. Senate and House to appeal to the King of Thailand to stop the repatriation of the Hmong people back to Laos. The Thai military is now using tear gas and pepper spray to force hundreds of Lao Hmong political refugees onto 11 buses at Ban Huay Nam Khao refugee camp in Thailand to force them back to the brutal communist regime in Laos that they fled," stated Vaugh Vang, Director of the Lao Human Rights Council.

"The Hmong refugees do not want to return to Laos; the Thai military's use of tear gas, pepper spray and army troops to force the Hmong onto buses is deplorable, and constitutes serious human rights violations.

"In reaction to the Thai troops now deployed to the Hmong refugee camp, the Hmong refugees have laid down on the road and are refusing to move, waiting instead for the buses or trucks to run them over so they can die in Thailand instead of returning to Laos," stated Dr. Jane Hamilton-Merritt, Southeast Asia Scholar. http://www.tragicmountains.org

Large numbers of Thai troops were deployed to the Hmong refugee camp prior to fires and protests that rocked the camp and set it ablaze after refugees staged protests and a week-long, 7,000-strong hunger strike opposing forced repatriation back to Laos. The protest and hunger strike, which began on May 16, followed the earlier arrest of Hmong human rights

monitors and the subsequent arrest of camp leaders.

"We urge the Thai government and Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej to honor the recent letters by the U.S. Senate and U.S. Congress and immediately halt the forced repatriation of the 8,000 Lao Hmong refugees at Petchabun and Nong Khai," stated Philip Smith, Executive Director for the Center for Public Policy Analysis in Washington, D.C. "The U.S. Congress

has urge Prime Minister Samak, and appealed to His Majesty, the King of Thailand, to give the Hmong sanctuary in Thailand until they can be resettled in third countries that have agreed to grant them asylum as political refugees," Smith concluded.

Samak is the Defence Minister, he orders the military, not the junta.

Do you have any inside information as to when Mr. Samak is ordering the next coup?

Depends which side wants it most - Mr T or the old camp. :D Oy maybe there's a Young Turks waiting in the wings to spring a surprise. You never can tell, is the only thing for certain in Thai politics. :o

Do you have any inside information as to when Mr. Samak is ordering the next coup?

Depends which side wants it most - Mr T or the old camp. :D Oy maybe there's a Young Turks waiting in the wings to spring a surprise. You never can tell, is the only thing for certain in Thai politics. :o

There is a large group who believe that Thaksin staged the coup along with Sonthi.

Samak insists to issue decree for holding referendum

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej insisted Sunday that his government would issue an executive decree to allow it to hold a national referendum on charter amendments.

Samak said since there is no law to permit the referendum, the government would have to issue an executive decree.

He said the referendum would not be an interference in parliamentary affairs because the government would hold the referendum on part of Parliament since Parliament does not have money to do so.

The Nation

Unquote.

Seems to me, going on the achievements of the elected officials within this government and all the unrest they are stirring up as a consequence.

A date is slowly materialising in relation to a coup in the not to distant future if he / the PPP and it,s supporting parties continue to force through the planned issuing of an " an executive decree to allow it to hold a national referendum on charter amendments."

This government should be concentrating it,s efforts on trying to sort out the economic problems that are getting more serious by the day, along with addressing much more urgent priorities at hand.

Many of the people who voted for them along with many more who did not, are in need of support and solutions to ease the present situation relating to everyday living.

How obscene these proposals are, when you consider they are going to spend in excess of 2 billion baht for something that at the end of the day is a typical self serving agenda that has nothing to do with the majority of Thailands citizens.

I reckon it is fair to assume when all the mouths at the feeding bowl / trough have been fed you can add a couple of billion more.

Much of which will be used to pay for votes to support their their need to change the existing constitution with a view to saving their poitical necks, as we all know

It is about saving not only their positions, but more importantly, their sponsor who,s motives are to regain power and continue the plundering of Thailands assets, manipulate the constitution they want to put back into place and erase all the charges and investigastions that are ongoing, along with recovering their ill gotten gains they corruptly and illegally acquired during their years of governance.

Where do the existing laws interfere with the administrating of just and sensible governance or obstruct their endeavours to do what they were elected to do and that should anyone need reminding is to work on behalf of the country and " All " of Thailands Citizens

The obscene speed in which they trying to steam roll the issues through are typically, as with the previous government to serve their own selfifish agendas and as for the people and the present institutions are cocerned, they don,t give a fcku about them, so long as they benefit and can manipulate them to their favour.

I,m pleased you quoted " COUP " as in the singular by the way, because it has the flexibilty to be of a non military nature.

As things stand at the present time you may well see a successful people orientated one take place and the enforcing of their wishes and their their just rights as citizens of the country.

marshbags

P.S.

I cannot for the life of me see what the military intervention did that warrants your constant references to all and everything that is debated, along with blaming them for all that is ongoing, S07

Indeed they saved this nation from untold misery and the dictatorship of an evil individual who would have had the country living in a way that would put the established " juntas of the world in the shade " in terms of democratic freedom.

Edited by marshbags

First, to bring to a referendum is a good thing. The previous so-called referendum took place with the Thai populace faced with a gun against its head held by the same military that slaughtered so many students in the last coup. The coup-referendum passed as did the recent coup-referendum in Myanmar, so what?

Second, other that self-appointed junta-backed committees who is accusing Thaksin of anything?

First, to bring to a referendum is a good thing. The previous so-called referendum took place with the Thai populace faced with a gun against its head held by the same military that slaughtered so many students in the last coup. The coup-referendum passed as did the recent coup-referendum in Myanmar, so what?

Second, other that self-appointed junta-backed committees who is accusing Thaksin of anything?

Which gun on which head??? hahahaha