Samak Sundaravej was elected

Jai Dee

The astounding maneuvers of the Prime Minister marches on......... :o:D :D

dc08pt4.jpg

Chalerm Yubamrung talks to newsmen after showing up at Thong Lor police station with his son Duang, right March 2004

PM 'lobbied' for Duang's return

PM Samak is reported to have lobbied for the reinstatement of Duang Yubamrung, son of Interior Minister Chalerm, to the army. Duang was dismissed from the military following his alleged involvement in the fatal shooting of a police officer in October 2001. He was removed from his post and stripped of his rank after he failed to report for work within 15 days. He fled to Malaysia, where he finally surrendered and was later acquitted of the murder charge by the Criminal Court. According to the source who spoke on condition of anonymity, the Judge Advocate General's Department and the legal affairs department of the Supreme Command have been requested to jointly find a legal approach to reinstate Duang to the army. "The request has been made verbally and confidentially. There is no written document," said the source. The special request to the Defence Ministry was reportedly pushed through by Chalerm, the source said. Chalerm was said to have discussed the issue with Samak and ousted PM Thaksin. If reinstated, Duang would reportedly return to his former post, a sub-lieutenant at the Armed Forces Security Centre, which is responsible for carrying out intelligence work and giving protection to VIP guests. Duang, whose name was changed from Duangchalerm [following his murder trial], was a prime suspect in the shooting of Pol Sgt-Maj Suvichai Rodwimut, a Crime Suppression Division detective, in a brawl at the Twenty Club on Ratchadaphisek road on Oct 29, 2001.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/22Apr2008_news04.php

This would be disgraceful if true.But is it? Let's see whether any evidence turns up as opposed to hearsay.Sri Racha John has already - surprise surprise - jumped to a conclusion but perhaps he could monitor this for the benefit of forum members.How about an update SRJ by say 1 June.I have made a diary note.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dc08pt4.jpg

Chalerm Yubamrung talks to newsmen after showing up at Thong Lor police station with his son Duang, right March 2004

PM Samak is reported to have lobbied for the reinstatement of Duang Yubamrung, son of Interior Minister Chalerm, to the army. Duang was dismissed from the military following his alleged involvement in the fatal shooting of a police officer in October 2001. He was removed from his post and stripped of his rank after he failed to report for work within 15 days. He fled to Malaysia, where he finally surrendered and was later acquitted of the murder charge by the Criminal Court. According to the source who spoke on condition of anonymity, the Judge Advocate General's Department and the legal affairs department of the Supreme Command have been requested to jointly find a legal approach to reinstate Duang to the army. "The request has been made verbally and confidentially. There is no written document," said the source. The special request to the Defence Ministry was reportedly pushed through by Chalerm, the source said. Chalerm was said to have discussed the issue with Samak and ousted PM Thaksin. If reinstated, Duang would reportedly return to his former post, a sub-lieutenant at the Armed Forces Security Centre, which is responsible for carrying out intelligence work and giving protection to VIP guests. Duang, whose name was changed from Duangchalerm [following his murder trial], was a prime suspect in the shooting of Pol Sgt-Maj Suvichai Rodwimut, a Crime Suppression Division detective, in a brawl at the Twenty Club on Ratchadaphisek road on Oct 29, 2001.

Continued here:

This would be disgraceful if true.But is it? Let's see whether any evidence turns up as opposed to hearsay.Sri Racha John has already - surprise surprise - jumped to a conclusion but perhaps he could monitor this for the benefit of forum members.How about an update SRJ by say 1 June.I have made a diary note.

Make sure you include an email to the Bangkok Post to include an update by your diary date. If it doesn't happen, perhaps you can sue them for alleged defamation.

dc08pt4.jpg

Continued here:

Make sure you include an email to the Bangkok Post to include an update by your diary date. If it doesn't happen, perhaps you can sue them for alleged defamation.

No the Bangkok Post article makes it clear that this is an anonymous source, and in any event defamation doesn't really come into it.You brought this to our attention (for which I thank you) and jumped to a conclusion completely unsupported by the facts as we know them now.You could however well be right and I have no illusions about the Samak/Chalerm axis.By June 1 there well could be some evidence (as yet nil) and we look forward to hearing from you by then.

dc08pt4.jpg

Continued here:

No the Bangkok Post article makes it clear that this is an anonymous source, and in any event defamation doesn't really come into it.You brought this to our attention (for which I thank you) and jumped to a conclusion completely unsupported by the facts as we know them now.You could however well be right and I have no illusions about the Samak/Chalerm axis.By June 1 there well could be some evidence (as yet nil) and we look forward to hearing from you by then.

Pass it along to the Bangkok Post... by your diary date.

Journalists often write articles on unnamed sources. If you wish to exclude any article based upon that criteria from being posted, I'd suggest initiating a Forum Support Desk thread for you.

dc08pt4.jpg

Continued here:

Journalists often write articles on unnamed sources. If you wish to exclude any article based upon that criteria from being posted, I'd suggest initiating a Forum Support Desk thread for you.

No problem with the article or your post, only with your premature conclusion.If you don't want to provide us with an update by June 1 just say so.I'm sure the truth will emerge in due course.

dc08pt4.jpg

Continued here:

No problem with the article or your post, only with your premature conclusion.If you don't want to provide us with an update by June 1 just say so.I'm sure the truth will emerge in due course.

and just what is my "premature conclusion"? That I think it might be true? Based upon Samak's history, is it so outlandish that I wouldn't be suprised by "The astounding maneuvers of the Prime Minister marches on"... which is the sum total of my "conclusive" comments.

Whether or not an update is provided is up to the Bangkok Post... the author of the article. Do you understand how this whole thing works?

dc08pt4.jpg

Continued here:

and just what is my "premature conclusion"? That I think it might be true? Based upon Samak's history, is it so outlandish that I wouldn't be suprised by "The astounding maneuvers of the Prime Minister marches on"... which is the sum total of my "conclusive" comments.

Whether or not an update is provided is up to the Bangkok Post... the author of the article. Do you understand how this whole thing works?

Thanks for reminding us of your premature conclusion.It's precisely the words you quoted that I was talking about.If you had added the words in your last post, "Based on Samak's history...etc". that would have been a perfectly reasonable comment.

Come on, Younghusband, SJ added just one half sentence, and it only half related to the story itself, you've wasted half the page berating him for it.

>>>

This government sets lowest standards possible for any position, Duang might perfectly fit with the new idea of what the military should look like.

The boy might be jealous that his brother is a Happy Toilet and he doesn't get to be called by names.

"Based on Samak's history...etc"

One might think it's a bit unnecessarily redundant by Post #840, but oh well.

For Post #850, we skip back past 10 posts... and resume...

"Based on Samak's history...etc.", the astounding maneuvers of the Prime Minister and the Interior Minister marches on......... :o:D :D

Potjaman back to reassure allies

Source – Thai Post

Date – January 9, 2008

The return of Khunying Potjaman Shinawatra was reportedly to reassure allied parties of the PPP-led coalition government, as well as to plan the Cabinet members and ministry allotment rewards to allies, while also countering Council for National Security and the Election Commission and testing the waters for her husband ousted and self exiled prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s return.

A PPP executive reveals the Khunying had a compromise deal with influential figures, while Chalerm Yubamrung reportedly will be the interior minister and his sons will be back in the government.

< snipped >

Chalerm Yubamrung, a PPP core member, will be the Minister of Interior. Despite the earlier report that Mr. Chalerm would attempt to push a close associate of his family for another ministerial position, there was no available lot due to allotment requests from other fraction leaders within PPP. For the three sons of Mr. Chalerm, Art-han and Wan, will be either advisors or secretaries to a minister of an important ministry. Their positions are considered political officials, which can be directly appointed by the politicians. Mr. Chalerm will also request for Duang Yubamrung to be back in the military. Mr. Duang was discharged from the army several years ago for escaping an arrest warrant.

Edited by sriracha john

It's all very hush, hush... a top-secret matter of the highest national security concern... that no one apparently can "neither confirm nor deny"... :o

P6317890-0.jpg

Meeting in London....Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, his son Duang, his son Wan, and Thaksin

PM Authortizes Duang Yoobamrung's Return to Military Service

The Prime Minister has reportedly reinstated the son of Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung as a member of the armed forces after he had been stripped of his rank due to his alleged involvement in a brutal pub killing almost seven years ago.

Reports have surfaced that Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej, in his capacity as Defence Minister, has already reinstated Duang Yoobamrung, son of Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung into the military, after he has been removed from service following the police investigation that implicated him in the killing of a police sergeant in a Bangkok pub in 2001.

The reinstatement was reportedly made last week and accordingly allowed Duang to be given back the rank of second lieutenant.

Defense Ministry secretary, General Udomchai Ongkasingha said that he has not been informed of the reinstatement, but conceded that such a move is possible if Duang has been cleared of all the legal charges.

Meanwhile, Supreme Commander General Boonsrang Niampradit said that he also has no knowledge of Duang's reported reinstatement. He added, however, that PM Samak could sign an order in his capacity as the Defense Minister without having to inform the supreme commander first.

So far, Samak would not confirm or deny when asked about the order.

- Thailand Outlook (today)

(BangkokPost.com) – Amidst growing speculation that Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej is preparing to give back the rank of sub-lieutenant to Interior Minister Chalerm Yubamrung’s son, Duang, the premier chose not to talk to reporters about the issue on Tuesday morning.

He quickly dodged reporters before attending this morning’s weekly cabinet meeting.

Deputy spokesman of the Defence Ministry, Lt Gen Peerapong Maneekit, also declined to comment, saying only that a proposed reinstatement is possible for any army officer who has been dismissed provided that the individual is no longer involved in any legal cases.

Ref. url :- http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=127234

Yet another low.

By the way, let us not forget the Samak was convicted and should be serving 2 years.

So &lt;deleted&gt; is he doing in the office of P.M.

We now await the reinstating of the TRT and their CEO because if they manage to change the new constitution, this is surely their ultimate objective.

marshbags

P.S.

Expect a speedy promotion to the upper ranks in the not to distant future ???????????

Edited by marshbags

Here's one for younghusband's personal diary... perhaps with some ribbons drawn around it...

Update: PM signs to return Duang to army

PM Samak said he already approved the reinstatement of Duang Yubamrung, son of Interior Minister Chalerm, to the army. "I do not know which office he will return to, but I already signed the approval," Samak told reporters Tuesday. "It is effective now." Duang was dismissed from the military following his alleged involvement in the fatal shooting of a police officer in October 2001. He was removed from his post and stripped of his rank after he failed to report for duty within 15 days. He fled to Malaysia, where he finally surrendered and was later acquitted of the murder charge by the Criminal Court. "He was a soldier. Now the case is over so there is no problem for him to return to the army," Samak said. In the morning, Chalerm told reporters his son never came to consult him on the matter :D:o

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=127239

Edited by sriracha john

Now let me get this straight in my head.

So Chalerm Jr does not shoot a police officer, goes AWOL from the army, does not go to court to defend but leaves the country, then the witness statements go a little soggy in court, so no conviction.

Suddenly after daddy has a chat with Mr Big and his hand puppet all is OK and he will be re-instated to the intelligence unit of the army.

I understand, Army Intelligence. :o

Name one thing this young government has done so far without causing controversy.

What an insult.

How much longer will they let these clowns and criminals do whatever they feel like and think it's all funny?

They're pushing it and pushing it , knowing well already this balloon already about to burst but they simply don't care.

F*&^ karma, kick their silly stupid asses now. Their reputations are already shot to sh!t, why do they insist on making it worse? :o

When a coup or whatever happens again, they'll innocently be whining again,

"But whyyy? Whyyy? It's not faiiiiir"

baby_crying_closeup.jpg

1704-01.jpg

IT'S BECAUSE WE'RE CHALERM'S SONS

The once enfant terrible Duang Yoobamrung has got the nod from Premier Samak Sundaravej to be reinstated in the army. But the timing is raising questions whether influential dad pulled the strings.

Daily XPress

'Give Duang a chance'

Chalerm's second son rejoins the Army despite his dishonourable discharge in 2002 - all with the PM's blessings

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej says he has approved Duang Yoobamrung's application to rejoin the military, adding that he is not worried about any political fallout.

Duang, the son of outspoken Interior Minister Chalerm, was dishonourably discharged in 2002 on charges of desertion. In 2001, Duang had fled to Malaysia after being accused of shooting an on-duty decorated police officer in a nightclub brawl.

He surrendered the following year and was acquitted from the charges later.

Samak, who kept quiet all yesterday morning, finally broke his silence in the afternoon after the Cabinet meeting, acknowledging that he has okayed Duang's application and that the media should not make a big deal out of it because

"he is just one individual".

However, speculation is rife about Chalerm having lobbied certain channels to get his son back in the military.

Duang served as a sub-lieutenant in the Armed Forces Security Centre, the main intelligence unit for the military, before being discharged in 2001.

In an interview with Daily Xpress, Duang said he was not being "reinstated", but that he had applied to become a commissioned officer in line with "family tradition". "It's a big misunderstanding. I was not reinstated. I applied for it a few years ago with my qualifications. I didn't find out about it until the prime minister made a statement today."

Echoing Samak's reasoning, Duang's older brother [Mr. Happy Toilet] Wan said his sibling has every right to return to the military because he was not found guilty of any crime.

"The court acquitted him [of alleged murder]. If Duang was not a son of Chalerm Yoobamrung, his return to the Army would not be a big issue at all," Wan said.

He added that Duang would have been a captain by now if it weren't for the legal dispute. "I beg you all to give him a chance. My family wants to make a contribution to this society."

Supatra Rodwimut, wife of murdered Sergeant Suwichai Rodwimut, said she was shocked. "I have no words to describe how I feel. I'm just an ordinary woman. I have no power to fight. I hope one day the sin he committed will catch up with him."

Supreme Commander General Boonsrang Niampradit declined to comment, saying he has yet to be informed.

IN A NUTSHELL

>> Oct 29, 2001: Sergeant Suwichai Rodwimut is shot dead inside the Twenty Pub, allegedly during a brawl with Duang Yoobamrung and his friends. Police call Duang for questioning, but he disappears. Police begin a nationwide search but fail to find him.

>> May 2, 2002: After six months on the run, Duang walks into the Thai Embassy in Malaysia and says: "Help me get home". He shows up with his eldest brother, Artharn, and his uncle, Thalerng.

>> March 26, 2004: Duang is acquitted by the Criminal Court on grounds that prosecutors presented insufficient evidence and conflicting witness testimonies.

>> May 25, 2004: Suwichai's wife Supatra appeals against the verdict.

>> July 5-6 , 2004: Prosecutors and police agree not to appeal against the verdict.

- Daily XPress

=============================================================================

It's good to see the media finally use the proper terminology to report his desertion from the Army. Irrespective of the murder trial and despite Mr. Happy Toilet's protestions that "he was not found guilty of any crime", his brother actually committed a felony (desertion), a crime for which most countries' Armies prescribe a prison sentence.

With this precedent having been set, presumably desertion is no longer a crime, here in Thailand, which may come as a relief to anybody currently serving down in the South, and who is tempted to avoid the bombs & shootings ? :o

Here's one for younghusband's personal diary... perhaps with some ribbons drawn around it...

Update: PM signs to return Duang to army

PM Samak said he already approved the reinstatement of Duang Yubamrung, son of Interior Minister Chalerm, to the army. "I do not know which office he will return to, but I already signed the approval," Samak told reporters Tuesday. "It is effective now." Duang was dismissed from the military following his alleged involvement in the fatal shooting of a police officer in October 2001. He was removed from his post and stripped of his rank after he failed to report for duty within 15 days. He fled to Malaysia, where he finally surrendered and was later acquitted of the murder charge by the Criminal Court. "He was a soldier. Now the case is over so there is no problem for him to return to the army," Samak said. In the morning, Chalerm told reporters his son never came to consult him on the matter :D:o

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=127239

It looks like you were absolutely right and I apologise for teasing you about this yesterday.

Interior Minister: Son's Reinstatement in Army Justified

The Interior Minister adorned his son with a Second Lieutenant epaulet this morning at his residence, insisting that his son's reinstatement is legally justified.

Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung revealed that he adorned his son, Duang Yoobamrung, with a Second Lieutenant epaulet this morning at the auspicious time of 8:19am at his residence.

He stressed that the reinstatement of his son is not disrespectful to Supreme Commander General Boonsarng Niampradit.

Chalerm reasoned that Second Lieutenant Duang Yoobamrung formerly served in the Defence Ministry's Secretary Office, not the Supreme Command Headquarters so his reinstatement by Prime Minister and Defence Minister Samak Sundaravej did not have to go through the Supreme Commander.

Chalerm stated Duang's suspension from the military came when he was named the suspect in the murder of Police Senior Sergeant Major Wichai Rodvimut, not because he escaped his army duty.

The Interior Minister pointed out that his son has been acquitted in the murder case as the witnesses' statements conflicted with forensic evidence, proving his son's innocence.

Chalerm said he does not feel disheartened by pressure on his family as his son's reinstatement is not an abuse of power but is a legal justice. He noted that his son was imprisoned for over a year before being granted bail so he had paid his dues.

- Thailand Outlook (today)

============================================================

So his Dad is making the point then that his son was never charged with desertion? Fine.

Now that he is back on active duty as an officer, charge him with desertion from the Army for a year.

Aside from the prison time, it should result in a dishonorable discharge from the Army so the he could go back to just being Mr. Happy Toilet's Murderous Brother.

Edited by sriracha john

The Interior Minister pointed out that his son has been acquitted in the murder case as the witnesses' statements conflicted with forensic evidence, proving his son's innocence.

They didn't PROVE he was innocent. He is innocent because he wasn't found guilty.

The Army's newest Lieutenant...

23-04-08-16-23-01.jpg

Matichon newspaper

Chalerm defends his son's military reinstatement

Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung said Wednesday that he presided over a ceremony to decorate his youngest son, Duang, with his restored rank of sub lieutenant at their private residence.

Chalerm however refused to comment whether the ceremony was a privilege accorded to the son of a Cabinet member.

He was speaking at a press conference at the Interior Ministry in a bid to quell the controversy surrounding Duang resuming the military service. He said it happened under the prescribed procedures and did not side stepped any rules.

"I want to comment on the issue for the last time, so listen carefully," he said.

The Secretariat of the Defence Minister directly handled the reinstatement because Duang was stripped of his rank seven years ago by a ministerial order issued in connection with his alleged involvement in a murder, he said.

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej issued a direct order for Duang to resume the military service, hence bypassing the normal military channel through the Armed Forces Security Centre, where Duang was commissioned, and the Supreme Command, he said.

He insisted his son was stripped of his rank within five days after the murder case broke in 2001.

"My son did not desert his duty and he is entitled for reinstatement after winning an acquittal - he is innocent," he said.

- The Nation

===================================================================

So then his son was properly granted leave from the Army for the year he spent as a deserter in Malaysia???? :o

The more Chalerm speaks, the crappier his comments become.

btw, what medals is Duang wearing on his chest????? Expert Scotch-swilling? Marksman for Policeman Head Shots? Pub brawling above and beyond the call of duty?

More Samakisms from his Sunday Silly and Sinister Show... :o

The Grand Master's plot revealed... but where is Samak?

The cat is now out of the bag. And it's an ominous, black, ugly cat for that matter.

Cat-lover Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej has finally owned up to the real motive behind the desperate move to amend the charter.

"Let me be frank about it. They are trying to dissolve the three parties in the ruling coalition government. That means 316 MPs would be out of a job... That's why we have to make a pre-emptive move," Samak declared during his latest Sunday morning talk show.

There is no need to beat around the bush or play the good-guys-against-bad-guys game anymore. The premier admitted that if the Election Commission hadn't made a move to dissolve the People Power Party, he would have stuck to his original pledge to consider amending the Constitution only three months before the end of his government's four-year term.

Yes, he has gone back on that promise, but he claims it's not his fault. Some unnamed mysterious force is intent upon destroying his party and has managed to put his government's survival in great danger. That's why he and his party have resorted to this controversial move to rewrite the charter.

If you listened carefully, Samak even admitted that he had gone back on his words on another related issue. As the former leader of the Prachakorn Thai Party, he had staunchly spoken against the 1997 Constitution, which went into effect anyway. Now, he is a cheerleader for that past charter.

Why did he change his mind on so many vital issues within such a short span of time? He understandably didn't elaborate. It would have been quite humiliating for him to have done so. Suffice it to say, perhaps, that when he has to fight for his survival, political accountability and consistency don't rank very high on his list of priorities.

If he could choose, Samak would opt to fight a limited war focused only on his own political survival and avoid unnecessarily extending that war in any way that could lead to the serious national confrontation between the powers-that-be and their entrenched opponents that now threatens to come to pass.

For the first time, Samak revealed how isolated he is within the People Power Party of which he is supposed to be the

"undisputed" leader.

"I only wanted to have Article 237 rewritten so that a political party won't be disbanded only because a certain executive member has committed a violation against the election law. I didn't want to touch Article 309, which would be seen as helping absolve former premier Thaksin from the various charges [against him]. But then all the party members except me wanted to include that clause for amendment too. What else could I do?" he asked rhetorically.

There isn't much he could have done if he really isn't the Party's Leader - and if his agenda doesn't match that of Thaksin Shinawatra, who is now seen as the main beneficiary and promoter of the move to embark on the "Grand Plan".

The script of the Grand Plan appears to be as follows:

1. Delete Article 237 to save the People Power Party.

2. Get rid of Article 309 to reclaim all of Thaksin's frozen assets and throw out all the cases against the Big Boss.

3. Pass the new charter in Parliament within 180 days so that the current members of the Anti-Corruption Committee and National Election Commission would have been replaced.

4. Get the constitutional amendments passed as soon as possible then call a new general election. Rewind the clock back to September 18, 2006. Thaksin will make a spectacular comeback before Samak consolidates his political base with military backing. Don't forget he still technically holds the right to dissolve parliament - or not.

Does Samak know he isn't part of this new Grand Plan? You bet. Why do you think he has been in such a foul mood? His anti-press outburst was only a cover - a red herring in this hugely complicated plot.

You would have to have a terribly cruel heart indeed not to feel some sympathy for him.

- Suthichai Yoon (Thai Talk, The Nation) / 24-04-08

Duang posting draws more flak

Duang Yubamrung took part in a private ceremony at his home yesterday to mark his return to the army and this time he will work closely with Defence Minister Samak Sundaravej. :o The youngest son of Interior Minister Chalerm Yubamrung appeared in a military uniform at his home in Bang Bon district. His father gave his son an epaulet at 8.19am, an auspicious time suggested by a senior monk at Wat Saket. "My son is innocent," Chalerm said later at his ministry, apparently in response to opposition to the reinstatement of his son as a sub-lieutenant. Secretary to the Defence Minister Gen Udomchai Ongkhasing said Sub-Lt Duang would work in the politics division under the Office of the Defence Minister. The reinstatement, he said, would not affect the army despite the criticism. Sub-Lt Duang, formerly Duangchalerm, was dismissed from his job and stripped of his rank after he became a prime suspect in the fatal shooting of Pol Sgt-Maj Suvichai Rodwimut, a detective at the Crime Suppression Division, in a pub on Ratchadaphisek road in 2001. He went into hiding soon after and failed to report for work after the military gave him a 15-day deadline. The Criminal Court later cleared him of the murder, citing lack of evidence, but an investigating team at the army did not call him back to work, because he failed to report for work within the deadline, and tried to avoid criminal investigation by taking shelter in Malaysia. However, Chalerm claimed his son never deserted the army because his rank was stripped five days after the killing at the pub. Former members of the National Legislative Assembly yesterday joined criticism of his reinstatement. The PM, meanwhile, has challenged critics to find fault with the reinstatement process. Democrat Party Deputy Secretary-General Thepthai Senpong said the Samak government acted as if it didn't care what people thought. "I'd like Chalerm, as the Interior Minister, to take care of people's problems, not his family's problems," he said. "Without Chalerm, it's hard to imagine Duang being reinstated."

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/24Apr2008_news10.php

Edited by sriracha john

PM Hints House Dissolution to Follow Charter Amendment

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej confirmed to Thai business operators in Malaysia that the administration has enough votes to revise the charter. He hinted that a new election might take place after the revision is completed and expressed confidence that there will be no coup, as the situation is stable.

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej is currently on an official two-day visit to Malaysia. He told the Thai people in Malaysia that the situation in Thailand has improved and he will be visiting ASEAN nations, as well as those in Europe and America.

He also stated at one point that the charter revision is justified since the elected administration is responsible for making improvements to the Constitution.

He then said that although some disapprove of the move, it's being done for the sake of the nation's future, hinting that there could be a new election and that the current administration may not be the one adopting the amended charter.

He is certain that the revision will go smoothly if endorsed by the Upper House since the government has the majority seats.

The prime minister confirmed that the nation's security is still intact. All sectors are pulling their weight for the good of the country; therefore, there is no division or possibility of a coup.

- Thailand Outlook / 24-04-08

Spokesman: Samak misquoted on House dissolution

Prime Minister [and criminal litigant] Samak Sundaravej did not say that he will dissolve parliament after the constitution is amended, Deputy Spokesman of Prime Minister's Office [and criminal litigant] Nuttawut Saikua said Thursday. His statement came after media reports, including official Thai media such as TNA, that Samak said during his visit to Malaysia that there will be an election after the amendments are completed. "Thailand's PM Samak Sundaravej on Thursday hinted there will be a snap election when his government's projected constitutional amendments have been completed," government-controlled TNA reported in a dispatch datelined from Kuala Lumpur. "This government may not have an opportunity to count on the amended charter (to benefit its own working conditions)," he told Thais during a meeting at the embassy on Thursday. "There will be a general election after the amendments are completed. It is the next government that will use it," he said. But the spokesman said that Samak didn't mean what was reported. :D Nuttawut insisted Samak will lead the government until he completes his four-year term. :o

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=127297