Atm Took My Money

Dakhar

I am another victim. went to an ATM machine at a 7.11 in Pattaya. It gave me my bank card back, but no 5.000 bt, the machine counted it, but it never came out. it was like someone had super glued the cash drawer. I never got my money back, and when i checked my internet banking, 5.000 bt was deducted, I had to eat rice all that week until my next pay day. :o

Lots of interesting stories. The maximum I can withdraw in one go seems to be 20,000 baht (yet 30,000 baht in one day). So theoretically a biggest 'Loss' should be only 20,000 baht.

If someone has tampered with the machine (which is a likely scam Thailand) then it should be reported ASAP to the bank.

I have said this many times on this forum: Why not always use an ATM in a busy shopping mall? It is very difficult for people to tamper with, due to CCTV and Security guards, plus the mall locks its doors at night. The bank is usually adjoining and in more than seven years I have had zero losses (although a few problems, in which case cash never came out, but was recredited a day or two later).

If you must use 7-11 ATM's late at night, next to a gang who have used cling-film, photographic film, super glue, elastic bands and fuse wire to get your wonga then set a limit of 1,000-2,000 baht W/D only.

Lots of interesting stories. The maximum I can withdraw in one go seems to be 20,000 baht (yet 30,000 baht in one day). So theoretically a biggest 'Loss' should be only 20,000 baht.

If someone has tampered with the machine (which is a likely scam Thailand) then it should be reported ASAP to the bank.

I have said this many times on this forum: Why not always use an ATM in a busy shopping mall? It is very difficult for people to tamper with, due to CCTV and Security guards, plus the mall locks its doors at night. The bank is usually adjoining and in more than seven years I have had zero losses (although a few problems, in which case cash never came out, but was recredited a day or two later).

If you must use 7-11 ATM's late at night, next to a gang who have used cling-film, photographic film, super glue, elastic bands and fuse wire to get your wonga then set a limit of 1,000-2,000 baht W/D only.

I forgot to mention.... my wife was discussing this issue with one of our employees. Turns out this employee just had the same experience (5K Baht) and did not bother to check and see if the transaction was recorded as a deduction.

So she looked into it, and sure enough, the transaction was recorded as a deduction, but she had not recieved her money....

I am think you are probably correct there has got to be something amiss for so many people to be having this issues so often.

Hmmmm

so ... you had a machine glitch, you lost ZERO money, you panicked, you made a thread with tons of drama ... and in the end your money is still in your bank? COOL!

must have been a slow news day ;-)

so ... you had a machine glitch, you lost ZERO money, you panicked, you made a thread with tons of drama ... and in the end your money is still in your bank? COOL!

must have been a slow news day ;-)

JD

I did lose money, on credit card intrest. There was not tons of drama.... many people reported having the same problem, seems to me like such a common problem should be resolved?

But I guess where you come from mediocre is accepted.

BTW at least I was man enough to come back and post an up-date giving credit when credit was due rather than just leaving this thread as just another one of the hundreds of threads that are strictly negative about the lack luster service provided in Thailand.

Had the same thing happen to me in Chiang at the Siam Commercial Bank, asked for 5k and gave me back my card and no cash, i called one of the staff to complain she asked me to do the same transaction and this time it gave me the money. She more or less called me a lair so i went inside to complain to the manager who was just as smug.

He said if i had not got the cash it would not be debited from my account, so i quickly phoned my Visa helpline (free call thank god) they told me i had just made two withdrawals and both had gone from my account, i asked the manager if he could do a balance check on the machine at the end of the day as obviously it would not balance, he said he could not as this was done on Bangkok (what a load of <deleted>).

Long and short i made a note of his name time etc etc and he said i would have to get my visa company to write to the bank in order for them to investigate, in other words kiss your money bye bye (four weeks gone and no word).

Don't know what it is about the Siam Banks every time i go to one of the branches i have trouble, best stick to the Bangkok Bank I think

well i hope you fare better than i did, it happened to me and when i rang my bank they told me if the bank in question was up on the day( in the machine ) i would get it back, i never did !

I wonder how they would reconcile it. If the machine has 500,000 baht more than it should, which of the transactions did the machine fail to deliver the cash? If the machine thinks it worked each time, how do they know who was not given the cash and needs a credit?

I would hope also that whoever does the count at the end of the day does not know that amount that the machine should have in it. Maybe just count it, then send the count to someone else who can compare the actual count with what it is supposed to have. If the person who is counting knows what the amount should be, they could just pocket the difference.

Edited by jstumbo