Gusto Rumba

cm das

Was riding my bicycle down the street in Chiang Mai past a JRD dealership & spotted a new bike there so I stopped for a look. It's a 200cc semi-sport type bike called a Gusto Rumba. The saleslady told me that the engine is from Taiwan but the bike is assembled in Thailand. The brochure (mostly in Thai) says it's an Italian design. I did a google search but couldn't find any info beyond a brief gt-rider discussion which didn't help. I'm not really thinking of buying one of these, just curious. Anyone have more info? Thanks

Yeah, I've heard lots of stories about JRD 'quality' before, but I'm not sure this bike is made by JRD. It was at a JRD dealer, but the badge on the bike and on the brochure says Gusto, & there is no mention of JRD at all. Believe me, I'm not seriously thinking about giving up my CBR150 for this bike, but I'm still interested in concrete info.

• 3 weeks later...

This is actually manufactured by Jonway and Chinese manufacturer, it's styled to look like BMW 650 CS

In China they manufacture a 125, 250 and 350 versions, the Jonway YY250 is identical to the Gusto Rumba but an extra 50cc.

I went to the shop in Chiang Mai today and had a good look, It's a bit tacky but it's a full sized bike and the spec is good. The engine runs sweet and really does sound nice. I seriously thinking of buying one this week as it would suit my needs.

Because they make the same bike a a 250 and 350 in china I would think that the components would not be too stressed by a 200cc version, even with a lardy arsed farang like me riding it.

If I do buy it then it then I will post a proper report and some pics.

I read a lot of reports on Chinese bikes an the reports that are made by people who have actually ridden then suggest that they can be reliable and decent bikes, most of the reports slagging them off are buy people who have never actually ridden one. I KNOW very well that they are not the same quality of finish as a BMW or Yamaha, but it's horses for courses.

Andy

Further to my earlier post I have done some more research into the Gusto Rumba.

It distributed in Thailand by JRD, it's imported from China or Taiwan, In China it's sold as a Jonway.

The styling really is a most blatant copy of a BMW 650 CS, even the instrument panel and the headlights.

On close inspection you can see that the welding is messy and that the paint on the chassis is very thin, the plastics are not top quality but the fit and finish is good. Overall the quality is acceptable.

The price has been reduced to 57,000 from 68,000. That makes it the same price as the Thailand assembled Tiger 200cc which appears to have a similar build quality.

The Gusto Rumba comes with a 3 year or 30,000 km warranty that includes all service parts and oil, in fact everything except battery and tyres is the salesman is to be believed, and really there is no reason to doubt it as it's backed by JRD who have an extensive network of dealers and service centers.

The fact that it's manufactured in China is the biggest mental hurdle, I tend to think of everything that comes from China as being low-quality rubbish, but that has changed of late and considering that China is now the world's biggest exporter of motorcycles I guess that it's only a matter until our perceptions change.

I have looked also at the Platinum range of bikes in Thailand (also Chinese imports) and I can say that the Gusto Rumba is in a different class, also whilst my personal experience suggests that Platinum dealers are more shady characters it's important to me in making a buying decision that Gusto Rumba has the backing of JRD. I don't like the JRD scooters, but you have to accept that they are a reputable distributor and that against the odds that have made a success of their brand name in a market dominated by Thai assembled Japanese bikes.

The Gusto Rumba has the following attributes that make it attractive at the price:

* 200 CC Engine (The biggest new bike officially allowed by law in Thailand).

* Twin Cylinder Engine, smoother than a single.

* Attractive Styling

* Wider than Average Tires, more grip.

* Front & Rear Disc Brakes with Twin pot calipers.

* Good Warranty

* Full Size Bike

* Luggage Rack and Luggage space on "tank".

* Comes properly registered.

The last point about being properly registered is important, more and more people who ride unregistered bikes in Thailand are running into problems with the police, there has been a clamp down in Chiang Mai recently with bikes being impounded and a 10,000 baht fee demanded to release the bikes.

My plan is to maybe buy one and run it the 3 years until the warranty expires, than if it were still worth 20-25 on the second hand market then I would consider it to be OK financially. I'm very much in favor of new vehicles with warranty these days rather than the risky second hand market.

Now I just need to pluck up the courage to be (apparently) the first person to buy one!

I bought it for 59,000 + 1,500 for Reg and Insurance from Scooter Arena in Chiang Mai.

After I paid they told me that it was the first one that they sold in Chiang Mai!

I took some decent pictures and wrote up my first impressions at www.technologybytes.co.uk

I'm pleased enough with it, and it performs better than I expected.

For the price you mentioned ...why not go for a proven bike (not made in China)& not sweat it. If it is a JRD run from the deal or carry a bag for the parts as they fall off. batteries usually out in 6 months. My Kawasaki Boss was new in 2007 & have never needed more than an oil change chain adjustments & 1 spark plug at 9000 kilo's (it didn't need it but I insisted on a new one last service. )Bought for 80,000 out the door & the dealer I got it at has 2 buyers for 70,000 if I want to sell(which I don't)

I really am not to fond of being a guinny pig, But it is up to you. It does look cool though! I would give it a while & get more posts on the ride before I buy 29 years riding & never bought a dog with fleas. The first year on any new ride car truck whatever better to wait till the jury is out......on the upside there is a poster that bought. you can ask later how he likes it. I know in the Pattaya area most farangs turn their noses up at platinums & Jrd (or any Chinese made rides) & it makes it harder to get out of if you want out of the bike for any reason. When China owns Japan, I will look at there line till then they can keep there seconds & pawn them off on someone else.

Beardog, your comments are sensible and in principle I agree.

If this was my primary means of transport I have to admit that I would have bought a Japanese bike instead, and in this case I KNOW & ACCEPT that I'm a guinea pig. However I should say that I have ridden Kawasaki Boss and Honda Phantom, I owned a Phantom for more than a year. I have also bought 3 new Japanese bikes in Thailand and never had any problems at all, never had a single nut or bolt come loose.. that's what we come to accept from Japanese bikes.

Price really was not much of a consideration either.

What really tips the balance for me in favour of this bike is the physical size (it feels like a real bike) and the fact that it's a 200cc bike (not many new 200cc bikes in Thailand). It has a proven engine as it's based on an old Honda 200cc Twin from the 80's, and the engine is sweet and pulls strong. It's as fast as I want to go on Thailand roads and it does not feel stressed when keeping up with the traffic.

It's manufactured by Jheijang Jonway, a little research and I see that Jonway is a 80 year old company that also makes cars. It is one of only 3 chinese car manufacturers whose products are approved for sale in Europe.

Yes I found nuts and bolts loose, and an exhaust flange was fitted wrong and the brake free play was incorrect and the chain was tight was a guitar string, but these issues really come down to the assembly. I agree totally that as a consumer I should not have to put up with that, and if I bought a Jap bike then I would not need to.

I'm happy with my bike, it looks sharp, it goes well and I'm confident that it will be reliable. I don't need to carry a bag to pick up the bits that fall off because I have been over the bike with a torque wrench and a bottle of thread lock.

Of course my view is biased as I bought the thing, but if it turns out to be shit then I will say so. The problem is that so many people have opinions that are biased and are not based on experience or facts. This is higher quality than a JRD bike in my opinion, and better than a Platinum. Remember it's not made by JRD they are just the authorised distributor.

If this was my primary means of transport I have to admit that I would have bought a Japanese bike instead, and in this case I KNOW & ACCEPT that I'm a guinea pig. However I should say that I have ridden Kawasaki Boss and Honda Phantom, I owned a Phantom for more than a year. I have also bought 3 new Japanese bikes in Thailand and never had any problems at all, never had a single nut or bolt come loose.. that's what we come to accept from Japanese bikes.

What really tips the balance for me in favour of this bike is the physical size (it feels like a real bike) and the fact that it's a 200cc bike (not many new 200cc bikes in Thailand). It has a proven engine as it's based on an old Honda 200cc Twin from the 80's, and the engine is sweet and pulls strong. It's as fast as I want to go on Thailand roads and it does not feel stressed when keeping up with the traffic.

It's manufactured by Jheijang Jonway, a little research and I see that Jonway is a 80 year old company that also makes cars. It is one of only 3 chinese car manufacturers whose products are approved for sale in Europe.

Yes I found nuts and bolts loose, and an exhaust flange was fitted wrong and the brake free play was incorrect and the chain was tight was a guitar string, but these issues really come down to the assembly. I agree totally that as a consumer I should not have to put up with that, and if I bought a Jap bike then I would not need to.

I'm happy with my bike, it looks sharp, it goes well and I'm confident that it will be reliable. I don't need to carry a bag to pick up the bits that fall off because I have been over the bike with a torque wrench and a bottle of thread lock.

Of course my view is biased as I bought the thing, but if it turns out to be shit then I will say so. The problem is that so many people have opinions that are biased and are not based on experience or facts. This is higher quality than a JRD bike in my opinion, and better than a Platinum. Remember it's not made by JRD they are just the authorised distributor.

Techno,

I hope the bike kicks ass for you. if it is a couple of notched above the typical platinum & Jrd's you should be alright.

I tried several Platinums & unfortunately volunteered

too much time on fixing the electrical system on a buddies Jrd. I hope it works out good for you. Pleasant riding!!!

Edited by Beardog

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Techno,

I think, you are the fellow, who I´ve met at the JRD Shop in the Wua Lai Rd. CNX, when you´ve bought the Rumba and I did a testride there. You said you´re the first CNX-Rumba rider, remember? You told me, that the testride-machine isn´t well, the engine noisy and something else.

Well, that was really true. I made a ride in the city and on highway with highspeed aswell. The engine had no power, was rough and loud and in the curves, I needed 3 lanes. I won´t buy one of this, if I didn´t met you before and that you told, normaly the bike is better. And it sounds, that you´re still satiesfied with it.

I liked to buy a TIGER-BOXER, but the Rumba looks much better. I will wait for 250cc and the experiences in the first year. But......yes, indeed. This is a great offer, if the bike goes like it looks like.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi HangDongRider,

Yes, we met just as I was picking up my new bike.

I did tell you that the demo bike was wrong! It was not running right and even the handlebars were not straight. It's amazing really that they offer a test ride on a bike that is such a bad example. Really, if the bike was assembled properly it would have been a very different experience.

The Tiger Boxer is an interesting bike, it must be reliable because so many Bangkok police use them, I could not find one for sale in Chiang Mai to test.

One concern that I do have is that I still have never seen another Gusto Rumba and I have a horrible feeling that if they dont sell then it may impossible to get parts in the future!

If you do buy one then be prepared to take it back a couple of times to get things adjusted and tightened up unless you are happy doing that sort of thing yourself. The bike is basically sound, the engine is great, BUT the assembly is poor.. I'm sure they dont know what a torque wrench even looks like ;-)

Mine is good, it runs sweet and it pulls strong, but I'm seriously thinking about buying the Kawasaki Ninja 250 that can now be bought direct from Kawasaki in Bangkok (30 day special order, 180k) so I may sell my Gusto and order one.. but really the Gusto is as good as any 200cc sports bike in Thailand at the moment.

I've spottet the Rumba twice in Pattaya, once with a farang driver and once with a Thai. At first it looks quite nice, but then you realize the tank has kinda like a hole in it and the faring looks like it's been mounted to far in front of the bike. Dunno, I think it would look nicer without the faring and the weird tank but maybe it's just me.

Google only found this picture:

img_0645.jpg

Edited by Phil Conners

I've spottet the Rumba twice in Pattaya, once with a farang driver and once with a Thai. At first it looks quite nice, but then you realize the tank has kinda like a hole in it and the faring looks like it's been mounted to far in front of the bike. Dunno, I think it would look nicer without the faring and the weird tank but maybe it's just me.

Google only found this picture:

img_0645.jpg

The weird looking tank isn't a tank at all - it's for carrying luggage. The fuel goes in to the filler at the rear. The sales lady I was talking to in Phuket told me they'd had complaints of rain water being retained, and it was having to be redesigned.

The forecourt price here (on Phuket) is 68,000 Baht - but they're throwing in a free mobile phone worth 9K. Don't know if they'll do a deal without it. It comes in grey or purple - as in the photo, and for the money I think it's stunning.

geoffphuket

Sure is a weird looking bike for a hel_l of a lot of baht. I think I will stick with my Kawi!

What type of luggage does the tank contraption hold? Is it like a Honda wave(under the seat) for bike papers & minor groceries? It looks like an upgraded Joker, still using the plastic luggage rack.

Sure is a weird looking bike for a hel_l of a lot of baht. I think I will stick with my Kawi!

What type of luggage does the tank contraption hold? Is it like a Honda wave(under the seat) for bike papers & minor groceries? It looks like an upgraded Joker, still using the plastic luggage rack.

It is a strange design, the 'tank contraption' as you put it, is like a hollowed out petrol tank with a plastic liner in it. From the position of the filler cap, the petrol is held under the seat. I can't see any resemblance to the Joker - which is a 'step through' 125cc shopping trolley with a basket on the front, right?

Yea Geo....The Joker was a step thru. the luggage rack looks identical to the first bike they made. Thank god they didn't put on the funky wrap around grips(made of plastic & designed to break) around the brake handles.) I wonder does it have a more secure shifter than the Joker. A Sweedish man wrecked his rented Joker (I guess he should have been watching the road instead of my ol' lady picking vegetables on the side of -(the downhill side) road In Koh Chang.(new & it not only had the wrap around plastic on the brake bars, but upon straightening the bent shifter lever it came off in his hand. Typical Thai spot weld(or Chinese)

dam_n idiot was so shaken up when I tried to help him pick the bike up to load it on the pickup truck to have it fixed, he kept on trying to pick the bike up on the downhill side from the ditch & kept pushing it into the ditch instead of pulling it up & staying away from going underneath it when it fell. Poor guy....He was pretty disorientated.

Now, if you'd said it looks like a BMW 650CS, you might have been close !

post-30543-1209217937_thumb.jpg

Now, if you'd said it looks like a BMW 650CS, you might have been close !

post-30543-1209217937_thumb.jpg

Now that looks like a sweet bike!

I apologize in advance to any owners.. But to me it looks absolutely hideous from the midpoint forward..

The rear end is very GS650ish.. But then the front is totally confused.. the forks have an almost cruiser ish rake angle, they cant follow the lines of the rear end, they also looks skinny and flimsy.. The fairing / cowl extends way too far forward, just a bulbous monstrosity.

the rear end looks fine.. The cut off streetfighterish exhast.. The enduro touring rear end stance..

It was like they welded together a GS650 and a phantom.. Then used lots of plastic to cover the mess up.

Of course it costs a hair more than a scooter so itsd a case of beggars cant be choosers. Would wait and see what happens with the Honda CBF250 tho.

I apologize in advance to any owners.. But to me it looks absolutely hideous from the midpoint forward..

The rear end is very GS650ish.. But then the front is totally confused.. the forks have an almost cruiser ish rake angle, they cant follow the lines of the rear end, they also looks skinny and flimsy.. The fairing / cowl extends way too far forward, just a bulbous monstrosity.

the rear end looks fine.. The cut off streetfighterish exhast.. The enduro touring rear end stance..

It was like they welded together a GS650 and a phantom.. Then used lots of plastic to cover the mess up.

Of course it costs a hair more than a scooter so itsd a case of beggars cant be choosers. Would wait and see what happens with the Honda CBF250 tho.

Tell more....what CBF250 ??

Taxes on 250 and under have been stopped.. The CBF250 nighthawk is sold in malaysia..

People are guestimating that a grey import with Thai plates should be 80k ish..

Didn't know about the tax changes...should open the floodgates to some nice machines from Japan. The CBF250 looks great, if does come ashore here I can't see it selling for less than the Phantom...80K sounds far tooooo cheap

post-30543-1209531154_thumb.jpg

The main difference between the Honda Phantom and the Honda CBF250 is that the Phantom is more a show bike and the CBF250 a real work horse. And ask anybody with some ideas about the Phantom and he will say it is a bit overpriced, but then there was little other options.

I'll bet the cbf250 will blow the doors off the phantom off the line & top end also. Too bad it isn't in Thailand.Looks like a great get around bike!

And it is not a wanna be Harley clone alike cruiser.

The CBF250 nighthawk is sold in malaysia.. People are guestimating that a grey import with Thai plates should be 80k ish..

I trawled the malaysian bike forums and dealer websites and could find absolutely no reference to to the cbf250 ...

The only interesting new bike mentioned is the fz150i, on sale now for about 8000 ringgit ... > 140km/hr, 42km/l ...

"feels larger than cbr150 , comfortable ergonomics for 5'10" rider".