Wireless Router Or Wireless Router Modem?

yeti

Hi,

I am presently using the True Billion USB modem, and I'm happy with it.

But from time to time I need to connect to the internet with the desktop and the laptop at the same time, so I plan to buy a wifi router. I need something easy to install/set up, and not too expensive as most of the time I will continue to use only the USB modem, and P2P friendly.

I will probably buy one of Thanni.com wireless routers.

It seems their best sales are the Linksys Wireless Router WRT54GL and the D-link Wireless Router Modem DSL-2640T. Both have been recommended previously on this forum.

My questions:

- is there a difference between those, as the WRT54GL is a wireless router whereas the DSL-2640T is a wireless router modem

- if I need a modem with the WRT54GL, can I use my USB Billion modem?

- the wifi adapter on my desktop is a D-link AirPlus DWL-G520+, and it was a pain to find a working driver. Will I have the same problem with the D-link router, or should I buy D-link as being the same brand will make things easier?

- should I consider other brand/model/shop (the laptop wifi adapter is ASUS)?

Thanks.

I am far from being an expert, but I would go for a combined router modem. I have recently bought the Linksys WAG200G

router modem (2,900 Baht). Took me 5 minutes to set it up and get the connection running, very very easy.

The desktop PC is connected permanently via LAN cable and if required, I hook on wireless with the laptop.

If you have a modem and a separate router, you will have to troubleshoot two devices when problems arise.

If this you are just planning to use multiple computers with wireless capability in a single household, an ad hoc connection might do the trick for you.

The best thing about this kind of internet sharing connection is that it is absolutely free

See this LINK for details on how to set it up.

I have three computers sharing a single connection. It's easy, secure, and free.

Edited by sensei

Hi Sensei, thanks for the idea, but I tried several times to set up an ad hoc connection, but I encountered many problems, mainly that I have to redo all the settings every time and the connection dropped very often (with the 2 comps only few meters of each other). Probably comes from the wifi adapter on my desktop, but not sure...

I recommend a single integrated network device, DSL modem/4-port ethernet router/WiFi AP, both because a single device is easier to manage, configure for specialized applications and trouble-shoot; and you only need one AC outlet, say on a UPS. I use Linksys WAG54G's (2x) and one Netgear DG834G. I think any combo device from a leading manufacturer (Linksys, D-Link, Netgear) will be fine.

Edited by lomatopo

- is there a difference between those, as the WRT54GL is a wireless router whereas the DSL-2640T is a wireless router modem

The advantage of the Linksys WRT54GL is that you can install third party firmware such as Tomato, HyperWRT and DD-WRT. The advantage of third party firmware is that it has a lot of additional settings and features for the router. Have a look at http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/. One important feature of all third party firmwares I like to mention is that you can set the wireless transmission strength from the standard 28 mW to up to 256 mW. With that your wireless range goes far beyond conventional wireless routers.

- if I need a modem with the WRT54GL, can I use my USB Billion modem?

The WRT54GL is a router. You need a modem with a LAN port. I recommend to use the modem in bridge-mode with the router.

But then again, if you don't need special features, I would go for Linksys WAG200G or WAG54GV3 (not the WAG54GV1 or V2) which are modem/routers.

Petch01

Edited by Petch01

One important feature of all third party firmwares I like to mention is that you can set the wireless transmission strength from the standard 28 mW to up to 256 mW. With that your wireless range goes far beyond conventional wireless routers.

And as an added bonus you can get a suntan while sitting next to it. :o

And as an added bonus you can get a suntan while sitting next to it. :D

28 mW - 256 mW only. They only thing that gets tanned at 256 mW is your router-case because of the heat :D.

You GSM mobile phone has a transmit power of 1,000 - 2,000 mW :o

Petch01

I bought a D-Link Wireless Router/ADSL Modem combo a few years back and it could not be used as a standalone router only (no WAN port). When I moved into a new location that only had cable internet and no DSL I had to buy a new router because of this.

Just something you might want to consider when buying combo devices like these.

EDIT: typo

Edited by Veazer

Buy a Linksys WRT54GL if you are a Technology geek, buy a D-link DSL-2640 if you just want it to work without calling somebody or have a techno geek over the floor every time something go's wrong.

Both are pretty good router-combo's and share a similar open-source idea of operating system, both the D-links and Linksys router-combi's run a similar Linux distribution. (Don't worry Windows lovers, it works without any problems)

Buy a Linksys WRT54GL if you are a Technology geek, buy a D-link DSL-2640 if you just want it to work without calling somebody or have a techno geek over the floor every time something go's wrong.

Both are pretty good router-combo's and share a similar open-source idea of operating system, both the D-links and Linksys router-combi's run a similar Linux distribution. (Don't worry Windows lovers, it works without any problems)

I also bought that Linksys model, plus the Zyxel P-600 ethernet modem -- the modem had to be compatible with the True service (that's what True told me). Total cost about 3,300 baht. Set up the modem without problems, but couldn't get the router to work. But Linksys do have an international toll-free number to call, and with the help of their very competent and very helpful technicians, I was up and running in about 30 mins. Extremely happy with the whole set-up. Cheers.

Thanks to all those who helped.

I ended up buying a Linksys WAG200G, router modem, for 2250 THB. So far I'm happy with it.

The setup wizard had the settings for True internet (as well as for other Thai ISPs), so did not need to call True's hotline to know about encapsulation or other settings.

After running the wizard, which took less than 5 minutes (faster than installing my USB modem with True's driver) my internet connection was working (wired).

Then I fiddled with all the available settings (port forwarding, wireless and so on) which took more time of course, and now everything runs smoothly. I tested it with heavy torrenting (8 torrents at the same time, all with 500 to 5000 seeds) and it handled it perfectly.

Few things I really like:

- I can prioritize the traffic, ie when I don't do anything torrents use 100% of my connection, but when I start browsing the net it has a higher priority so I don't need to cap my torrents, it's done automatically. I haven't tested Skype with this yet, but as I have given it the highest priority possible I expect an improvement over what I had before.

- I can disable completely the wifi emission, so when I don't need the laptop it is as safe as it can be.

Thxs again everybody :o.