Changing Travelllers Cheques In Thailand

dezmo07

Going to Thailand next weekend and have been told by my travel agent (thomas cook) that out of the 5 places i am going which is bangkok, pattaya, koh phangan and phi phi the only places that i will be able to cash my cheques is phuket and bangkok which is abit of a problem. Can anyone confirm whether this is true?

Going to Thailand next weekend and have been told by my travel agent (thomas cook) that out of the 5 places i am going which is bangkok, pattaya, koh phangan and phi phi the only places that i will be able to cash my cheques is phuket and bangkok which is abit of a problem. Can anyone confirm whether this is true?

i know you can in pattaya, theres loads of places where you can change t/c,

theres just as many places as if you were going to spain lol, it is a holiday resort

All Thai banks that offer a foreign exchange desk will cash your travellers checks, and you will receive the best exchange rate. You will need to produce your passport when cashing cheques and you will receive a receipt for the transaction.

Thomas cook will want to sell you US dollar Travelleres cheques, explain to them that you want UK sterling travellers cheques, otherwise you will be paying, and through the nose, to change your UK money to dollars, then to Baht.

Make sure you get UK sterling travellers cheques!

I dunno where you are coming from to L.O.S.

Ya mean ya can still get travellers cheques?

Most banks and Visa doing away with them.

Are you entering thru Suvarnbhumi?

I bring my NZ cash, change outside at airport, more bang for ya bucks..........lots more.

Trav Cheques cost to buy, ya pay again to cash......... dumb idea.

Not all banks charge for issuing travelers cheques.

I was back in the Uk last August and ordered 5000 pounds worth of sterling T/C in denominations of 500 pounds.

Because i am an account holder with that bank the T/C's where issued free of any charges.

I then put the T/C (money) into my Thai bank account again free of any charges.

I was told no charges would be levied because the money was going directly into my Thai account.

Free all round.

:o Travelers checks can usually be cashed in most tourist areas. Certainly in Bangkok and Phuket there should be no problem. I expect Pattaya would be the same.

Be aware that there is a fee for cashing travelers checks, not a lot, but a service fee that they will charge you. The amount varies as to where you cash them and how much you cash.

In general you are better off cashing larger amounts, as the fee will be less by percentage of the amount cashed. For U.S. currency 50 or 100 dollar travellers checks get the best return vs service fee.

If you are intending to use Thomas Cook travelers checks, you may find that certain banks in Bangkok have an arrangement with Thomas Cook to accept their travelers checks in preference to others. You will get a small discount on the cashing fee from that bank by using Thomas Cook checks. Other banks will not give you that discount. Unfortunately I don't know what bank now has such a deal with Thomas Cook. Perhaps before you leave it would be possible to get that information from Thomas Cook. You will probably get the best exchange rate/lowest fee with a bank in preference to a moneychanger.

:D

There are a few places to change traveller cheques on Koh Phi Phi and Koh Phangan but the exchange rate wont be as favourable as on the mainland where there are actual banks.