One Season Wonders

EastSaxCol

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shaun Wright Phillips

You're having a Giraffe, surely :o

Why should you think that I'm having a ' bobble hat and scarf ' ? He's hardly set the world alight after his early promise has he. In fact I think that he's having another medical at West Ham as I write. :D Sorry, inside joke.

PS

Any likely candidates yourself ?

Edited by Happy Hammer

Micheal Ricketts

Emile Heskey

Kevin Phillips

Two of those I'd agree with, but Phillips did have a couple of good seasons, not sure about Heskey, in that I can't recall him ever having a top season in the premiership.

Michael Ricketts, yeah amazing, he even got capped for England, and now can't even get a regular game at whewrever he is, I beleive maybe Walsall?

Mickey Evans - Southampton. Kept Southampton up with a run of goals and grat performances in 1997-98. I laways though he was a total donkey when he was at Plymouth in his firts spell, but he did go on to have a good career in the lower leagues. Couldn't be faulted for effort.

James Beattie - Southampton. Everton spent 9 million quid on him, and he got sent off in his firsdt game against Chelsea for headbutting a player. It didn't get much better.

Kevin Davies - Southampton. Awesome for Chesterfield, followed it up with a good season at Southampton before heading to Blackburn for 7 milliom. Toal waste of money and ended up back at Southampton for a fraction of the price. Now known as one of the dirtiest players in the Premiership, although Fletch reckons he's the most fouled :o , forgetting to mention that he makes the most fouls would not comlete the story.

What's it with the Southampton connection?

Off to think of a few more.

Quite a few of the siginings Souness made when he was in charge of Liverpool immediately spring to mind :D :

Nigel Clough - o-k at Forest but apart from scoring 2 goals against the mancs didn't do much in a Liverpool shirt.

Paul Stewart - bought from Spurs for a huge transfer fee and did sh#te .

And a few from Houllier :D :

El Hadj Diouf - best remembered for spitting at fans

Bruno Cheryou - touted as the next Zidane , he probably wouldn't get a game for Havant and Waterlooville.

Many more to come methinks :o .

Justin Fashanu....Norwich to Forest 1 mill total waste of money......Cloughie bought him on the strength of a wonder goal scored against Liverpool. :o

Garry Birtles......Forest to Man U.......Great bit of business by Cloughie :D

Quite a few of the siginings Souness made when he was in charge of Liverpool immediately spring to mind :D :

Nigel Clough - o-k at Forest but apart from scoring 2 goals against the mancs didn't do much in a Liverpool shirt.

Bruno Cheryou - touted as the next Zidane , he probably wouldn't get a game for Havant and Waterlooville.

Many more to come methinks :o .

Paul Stewart was crap, and fat (just like me, but I'm not a professional sportsman...).

Another Stewart who did very well in his first season before a huge dip in form was my team's Marcus Stewart. :D

Edited by jasreeve17

Players that haven't/never quite lived up to the hype and media froth that surrounded them ...

Whole bunch of foreign "super star" players who never made a go of it in the EPL and got run off after a couple of seasons

Juan. Veron

Diego Forlan

Herman Crespo

Micheal Ricketts

Emile Heskey

Kevin Phillips

Two of those I'd agree with, but Phillips did have a couple of good seasons, not sure about Heskey, in that I can't recall him ever having a top season in the premiership.

Michael Ricketts, yeah amazing, he even got capped for England, and now can't even get a regular game at whewrever he is, I beleive maybe Walsall?

The reason I included Phillips was because he had that one great season when he was top premiership goalscorer. After that he never really reached that standard again.

I can't recall exactly the great season Heskey had but it must have been round about the time that England beat Germany 5-1. It may possibly be the season that Liverpool won the 3 cups. Perhaps one of the Reds fans on the forum can confirm.

Other one season wonders that I can recall:

Peter Davenport

Lee Bradbury

Gerry Creaney

Mark Burchill

Charlie Miller

Micheal Ricketts

Emile Heskey

Kevin Phillips

The reason I included Phillips was because he had that one great season when he was top premiership goalscorer. After that he never really reached that standard again.

I can't recall exactly the great season Heskey had but it must have been round about the time that England beat Germany 5-1. It may possibly be the season that Liverpool won the 3 cups. Perhaps one of the Reds fans on the forum can confirm.

Other one season wonders that I can recall:

Peter Davenport

Lee Bradbury

Gerry Creaney

Mark Burchill

Charlie Miller

Add Charlie Nicholas, Danny Williamson (alas) Danny Cadamatri (spelling?) the skinny centre forward who came from Real Madrid to play for Liverpool a couple of seasons ago Morrientes? Faustino Asprilla, Stuart Slater (another alas) and bringing up the rear Justin Fashanu (sad case) :o

Many more to come methinks :D .

Paul Stewart was crap, and fat (just like me, but I'm not a professional sportsman...).

Another Stewart who did very well in his first season before a huge dip in form was my team's Marcus Stewart. :D

I assume you are a tractor boy then JR?

Stewart did have one great season, but was subsequently found out - that he had a bout as much pace as me. Funny though, in that particular good season, people were talking about him playing for England. :o

Shaun Wright Phillips

You're having a Giraffe, surely :o

Why should you think that I'm having a ' bobble hat and scarf ' ? He's hardly set the world alight after his early promise has he. In fact I think that he's having another medical at West Ham as I write. :D Sorry, inside joke.

PS

Any likely candidates yourself ?

I think SWP is getting better, bit harsh to cal him a one season wonder. But i'll let the Chelsea fans battle his corner.

This list could be endless but for City, Bernado Corradi, John Mackem and Rolando Bianchi spring to mind. I will think of many more later. :D

what about shevchenco,, but has he had a good season yet.

garry birtles definatly never had a a good season at united he was crap.

Shevva doesn't count has he has been consistently crap in the EPL. :o

Birtles, <deleted>, he was CRAP for United, couldn't hit a cows ass with a banjo, but he was okay at Forest.

...shevchenko had some brilliant seasons before coming to chelsea....i used to watch him and think he was brilliant...perhaps he was eating happy tablets in italy?

Edited by dee123

what about shevchenco,, but has he had a good season yet.

garry birtles definatly never had a a good season at united he was crap.

Shevva doesn't count has he has been consistently crap in the EPL. :D

Birtles, <deleted>, he was CRAP for United, couldn't hit a cows ass with a banjo, but he was okay at Forest.

Birtles has a column in the local rag that has seen him enrage every Forest supporter out there with the dross that he keeps writing about us nowdays. You just can't compare our team today to the Cloughie teams....the pillock :o

Oh yes back to topic.....one season wonder....my old mate Gary Megson as a player at Forest :D:D He never got a game for us but must of been a hit for the club we signed him from...which escapes me now. He's since got his own back though :D

.....i'm not a liverpool or newcastle fan and don't watch football on tv as much as i used to ,but i have only seen michael owen playing a few really outstanding games,.....i wonder if the same thing is going to happen to the arsenal kid with electric pace .......once that electric pace has gone your'e gone........althogh owen can still poach goals when he trys to make goals his touch is not quite up to it on the international and top premier scene.....although he did look quite sharp this week and newcastle played really well i thought......overmars the dutch flyer kept playing that elctric pace for many years........quick accellaration like that can win games

Edited by dee123

....i'd like to ask the liverpool fans ,how many seasons was michael owen playing outstanding football and why did they get rid of him?

Owen had about 5\6 good seasons for Liverpool culminating in him winning a treble and getting voted Eurpean footballer of the year.

Liverpool didn't get rid of Owen , the decision to leave was his as he said he wanted to win major trophies ( btw , the first season he left he spent most of his time warming the bench at Madrid while Liverpool were winning the champions league :D ).

Maybe he is regretting the decision not to give Rafa a chance eh :o .