One Season Wonders

EastSaxCol

.....certainly not a one hit wonder ,....but it makes you think that his best days are in the past as he really has not performed to his true potential since then ,.....such a shame as he maybe could of eclipsed Beckam as our no;1 hero and there wouldn;t have been all that celebrity nonsense from our camp and more of a Johnny Wilkinson modesty ,..which would have been better as a role model....shame!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....i'd like to ask the liverpool fans ,how many seasons was michael owen playing outstanding football and why did they get rid of him?

Owen had about 5\6 good seasons for Liverpool culminating in him winning a treble and getting voted Eurpean footballer of the year.

Liverpool didn't get rid of Owen , the decision to leave was his as he said he wanted to win major trophies ( btw , the first season he left he spent most of his time warming the bench at Madrid while Liverpool were winning the champions league :D ).

Maybe he is regretting the decision not to give Rafa a chance eh :D .

pretty much what i was going to say. except i would have used the word midget alot :o

In the 70s Mick Horsfield..Sunderland hero to Man City Zero

Correction, his name was Mick HORSWILL.

Still remember him as being pants :o

Anyone with Swill in their name is likely to be shit.

He did come up with this gem though:

"I didn't do myself justice after joining Manchester City but, having said that, I shared a house with George Best for two years so it had its compensations!" - Mick Horswill

......Mick Horsfield !!......? 70's...!! :o ...you mean to tell me there are still people alive who can remember back then..??

Here are some you might remember.

Francis Jeffers.......Everton to Arsenal

Sergei Rebrov......... Spurs

Albert Luque.......Newcastle

I was thinking of other Manchester UNited players, and there are a few that certainly deserve a mention.

Ralphe Milne -has a couple of great seasons in Scotland, before landing up at Bristol City in the Third Division. Fergie remeber him from a few years prior in the Jock league, and decided he could be the answear on the wing :o . He was clearly not, runs a pub in Nailsea just outside of Bristol these days.

David Bellion - Why? Still have no idea, although he is banging goals for Bordeaux at a prolific rate at present. <deleted> at UNited though.

William Prunier - Anyone remeber this dude? Some mate of Cantonna's or something, was meant to be class. PLayed one game, a 4-1 defeta to Spurs and put the capital D in Donkey.

I was thinking of other Manchester UNited players, and there are a few that certainly deserve a mention.

Ralphe Milne -has a couple of great seasons in Scotland, before landing up at Bristol City in the Third Division. Fergie remeber him from a few years prior in the Jock league, and decided he could be the answear on the wing :D . He was clearly not, runs a pub in Nailsea just outside of Bristol these days.

David Bellion - Why? Still have no idea, although he is banging goals for Bordeaux at a prolific rate at present. <deleted> at UNited though.

William Prunier - Anyone remeber this dude? Some mate of Cantonna's or something, was meant to be class. PLayed one game, a 4-1 defeta to Spurs and put the capital D in Donkey.

Djemmba Djemmba :o

did he play for Luton as well....this Horsfield guy :o

I think you are thinking of Mick HARFORD :D , you young whippersnapper :D

yeah mick harford luton....mick horsfield i've been rattling my brain, trying to picture anyone alongside ian porterfield.......but ithere was'nt a mick horsfield then

I can still picture Spurs lengend Ralph Coates hurtling along that wing with his hair trailing behind him,and the strikers waiting in the penalty area for a decent cross..... :o

Edited by dee123

did he play for Luton as well....this Horsfield guy :o

I think you are thinking of Mick HARFORD :D , you young whippersnapper :D

yeah mick harford luton....mick horsfield i've been rattling my brain, trying to picture anyone alongside ian porterfield.......but ithere was'nt a mick horsfield then

His name was Mick Horswill, played in the 1973 cup final

Marco Boogers

'arry bought 'Mad' Marco Boogers for £1m from Sparta Rotterdam in July 1995. Came on as substitute against Manchester United his second appearance for the club and was almost immediately red carded for "a sickening horror tackle" (The Sun) on Gary Neville. He then disappeared and was discovered several weeks later hiding in a mobile home in a Dutch caravan park.

He ended up on a free to Groningen despite his protestations 'I'm not mental'. He was the worst of a dreadful 'arry collection at that time, which included Florin Raducioiu (£2.4m in July 96) and was sold at a £600,000 loss six months later after missing training for a Harvey Nichols shopping trip. Portuguese supermodel Dani ('arry said "he's so good looking that I'd like to give him one") lasted five months before being thrown out for excessive nightclubbing in Romford; and £2m Javier Margas who went missing in 1998, turning up later at home in Chile. Although to be fair he did come back to play 26 games for us before retiring with an injury.

Anecdotally, there's a West Ham t-shirt with 'I Saw Marco Boogers Play' written on the front. Legend -- of sorts. :o

Marco Boogers

'arry bought 'Mad' Marco Boogers for £1m from Sparta Rotterdam in July 1995. Came on as substitute against Manchester United his second appearance for the club and was almost immediately red carded for "a sickening horror tackle" (The Sun) on Gary Neville. He then disappeared and was discovered several weeks later hiding in a mobile home in a Dutch caravan park.

He ended up on a free to Groningen despite his protestations 'I'm not mental'. He was the worst of a dreadful 'arry collection at that time, which included Florin Raducioiu (£2.4m in July 96) and was sold at a £600,000 loss six months later after missing training for a Harvey Nichols shopping trip. Portuguese supermodel Dani ('arry said "he's so good looking that I'd like to give him one") lasted five months before being thrown out for excessive nightclubbing in Romford; and £2m Javier Margas who went missing in 1998, turning up later at home in Chile. Although to be fair he did come back to play 26 games for us before retiring with an injury.

Anecdotally, there's a West Ham t-shirt with 'I Saw Marco Boogers Play' written on the front. Legend -- of sorts. :o

Titi Camara must join this list, the first 50 year old to pull on a West Ham shirt. :D I remember Florin scoring, coming off the bench, on a freezing cold December against Sunderland. Something that was beyond Titi who never got a goal for us. Also Ted McDougal must be up there as an over-hyped flash in the pan. The list goes on. I don't think we've been as bad as Tottenham and Chelsea for blowing money on flops (or mishandling talent :D ) but we've managed to lose money in other ways :D Eyes look towards the old board of directors.

Titi Camara must join this list, the first 50 year old to pull on a West Ham shirt

I thought that 'd leave it to someone else to mention him. :D

And then there's Alan Taylor. Two goals iin the Cup Final against Fulham and then...?

Still don't want to hog the thread with the list of West Ham, and as you say, we'd easily lose against our 'bigger neighbours' in the waste of money stakes. :o

...sorry happy hammer , i'm not trying to upset you ......really .....honest..... but I didn't follow west ham ....but for many of us it was like ......what ever happened to clyde best scenario....after he was a sensation on the "big match" that time....sorry mate,....

Dean Ashton

That's incredibly harsh HH, the Guy was bought in January, so only had half a Season, then got injured whilst trqaining for a Friendly with England the following Pre Season, was out for a full year, came back only to do Knee Ligaments inside 5 Games of being back & hasn't recovered from both of those injuries since, to call him a one season wonder is inaccurate & unfair, a half season wonder maybe.. :o

Dean Ashton

That's incredibly harsh HH, the Guy was bought in January, so only had half a Season, then got injured whilst trqaining for a Friendly with England the following Pre Season, was out for a full year, came back only to do Knee Ligaments inside 5 Games of being back & hasn't recovered from both of those injuries since, to call him a one season wonder is inaccurate & unfair, a half season wonder maybe.. :D

When Ashton came on as a sub last night in the Liverpool game I thought he was Mido :D .

He needs to loose a few kilo's before he is back to his best :o .

As it seems West Ham have been getting a lot of mentions how about this one,

Samassi Abou

I remeber he had a pretty good season, and then virtually disappeared.

I don't remember this name. The only thing that I remember about West Ham was a couple of their players fooling around with each other when a wife walked in and stabbed one of them. (Stabbed the bloke 'stabbing' her husband)

One of my very favourite football stories.

Morley rings a bell for some reason...

Samassi Abou

I don't remember this name. The only thing that I remember about West Ham was a couple of their players fooling around with each other when a wife walked in and stabbed one of them. (Stabbed the bloke 'stabbing' her husband)

Yeah, and that speaks volumes about Abou. He was a pretty decent player though, but only really had one season at West Ham before heading to Ipswich and a few other clubs.

Samassi Abou

Yeah, and that speaks volumes about Abou. He was a pretty decent player though, but only really had one season at West Ham before heading to Ipswich and a few other clubs.

I'm an Ipswich fan, and now you mention it the name does ring a bell. Vaguely.

The fact that he played for WH and the Super Blues without note suggests you spotted a good one Mr Toad.

Samassi Abou

I'm an Ipswich fan, and now you mention it the name does ring a bell. Vaguely.

The fact that he played for WH and the Super Blues without note suggests you spotted a good one Mr Toad.

:o Yeah, don't think he did much the; he ended up at Walsall, and I believe he a brief spell in the conference before skipping back to France.