The Best And Worst Car Designers/countries

LaoPo

By accident I ran into this:

10 Cars that Lose Value Fast:

http://www.forbes.com/2008/02/29/resale-va...mp;boxes=custom

Well, no wonder because these are absolute disgusting designed cars.

QUESTION:

1. Which country designs the most beautiful cars

and:

2. Which country designs the most disgusting cars

1. Italy

2. USA

Anybody ? :o

PS: I'm neither Italian nor American....

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My opinion, one of the best car designers ever, was the fellow that designed the BMW E36 and the E39. Those cars are old today, but throw some nice wheels on them, clean paint & body, maybe some nice head lights..... and BOOM... timeless classics.

I think the designer killed his son in self defence and is still in jail today. (partly why BMW's look like Krap today)

I imagine there are folks out there that know a lot more than I do about this fellow.

My opinion, one of the best car designers ever, was the fellow that designed the BMW E36 and the E39.

:o sorry Dakhar...I'm disappointed about your taste....that was a standard car...not a beautiful designed car.

LaoPo

One of the coolest Hypercars out right now is the Bugatti Veyron. From the same guys that make the VW Bug, With a top speed of 253 mph/407.8 kph it's awesome but if you had the 850000 GBP/1.7million USD to afford it, you would never want to drive it. It would end up being something you show your friends to impress them. post-55017-1204583057_thumb.jpg

One of the worst production cars ever released IMHO is the Yugo. I searched on all the major used car sites in the US and couldn't find one for sale. One of my buddies had one when they were new and it struggled to get over 50 mph and when he drove it more than about an hour it shut off to keep from overheating since it didn't have a liquid cooled engine it was air cooled like a motorcycle.

post-55017-1204584081_thumb.jpg

From the G to the D

Edited by gunnyd

The USA hasn't designed the world's most beautiful cars, but they have designed some of the most durable. Those old Chevys, Dodge Chargers and Ford Falcons are used for banger racing; a sport imported from the UK. Cars are generally made to go, not for show! An example would be 1970's era cars: Some of those old diesel Volvos and Mercedes are butt ugly bathtubs on wheels, but they're still running decades later. Some of the most beautiful cars are also not long lasting.

Also an amazing sports car is the AUDI R8.

post-13995-1204627917_thumb.jpg post-13995-1204628015_thumb.jpg

I followed one, last October on the German Autobahn from Basel to Karlsruhe and I saw another one last week where I live.

A very beautiful car.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4071293554528979065 this is a promo, taken in the Nevada desert......WOW

http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/new_cars/Audi_R8.html

LaoPo

Let's not forget Carol Shelby, one of the most prolific names in American automobiles.

Yes he collaborated with to AC Cars Group Ltd. in Great Britain to design the AC Cobra but he is American.

post-55017-1204667392_thumb.jpg

In 2006 Carol Shelby's own Shelby Cobra sold at an auction in Arizona for £2.8million/$5.6million

Also an amazing sports car is the AUDI R8.

post-13995-1204627917_thumb.jpg post-13995-1204628015_thumb.jpg

I followed one, last October on the German Autobahn from Basel to Karlsruhe and I saw another one last week where I live.

A very beautiful car.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4071293554528979065 this is a promo, taken in the Nevada desert......WOW

http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/new_cars/Audi_R8.html

LaoPo

I was stood by the side of the road when an R8 went past at full chat - what a noise! :o

Best bird-puller I ever had was a 1947 Alvis 3 litre Supercharged Drop-head Coupe.................it would reach 120 mph before I lost my bottle but didn't like going round corners nor stopping (only cable brakes - no hydraulics)....................British racing green with cream leather and about 8 miles to the gallon.

Today, I would echo the Top Gear Team and go for an Alfa and then moan about it while waiting for the RAC breakdown waggon. So I would nominate Alfa Romeo as being included in both the best and the worst categories.

Last I heard regarding Dolorean (sp) A company in Houston Texas bought up every exsisting/remaining parts for the Dol. and is assembling them in Houston. You can get them NEW or pre-owned. The pre-owned are stripped down and over hauled top to bottom.

Check the link:w.delorean.com

and I still stand by my remark regarding BMW. The E36 & E39 are fairly old, but do not look dated on the road.... not too many cars can do that.

But if we want to talk about Un-obtainable car designs... sure BMW is lacking compared to a compan like NOBLE etc.

w.noblecars.com/M15.html

If you're going to have a car with gull wing doors ya gotta go with the Mercedes Benz SLR.

post-55017-1204692090_thumb.jpg

The DeLorean was an overhyped underpowered (156bhp Renault PRV6 engine) boondoggle that got John DeLorean a whole bunch of the British government's cash. If it wasn't for the Back to the Future series, no one would know what one even was.

If you have an appreciation of automotive mechanical designs before their time, you would REALLY enjoy a visit to the Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg museum in Auburn, Indiana. I ran across this article;

Duesenberg: A Legend in Automotive Engineering and Elegance

Article by Chris Wilson

There are those who say a classic never dies. The planned introduction of the Duesenberg II Murphy Roadster in 2008 by Duesenberg Custom Coach LLC bears testament to that assertion in the world of vintage automotive design. Some critics will not be able to forgive the fact that the Roadster is a reproduction, albeit one lovingly crafted, while others will accept the vehicle as simply another chapter in the history of the Duesenberg name. Once the king of luxurious and fast cars, driven by the likes of Clark Gable and the Duke of Windsor, the allure of the elegant "Duesy" refuses to fade. And had the inventors of the original been better businessmen, the story might have a vastly different plot and there might be no need for copies.

Fred and August Duesenberg founded Duesenberg Automobile & Motors Company in Garner, Iowa in 1913 to build sports cars. Their Indianapolis factory opened in 1919 and included the production of passenger vehicles with a reputation for unparalleled luxury. The brothers were self-taught engineers and every car to emerge from their plant was built completely by hand, resulting in what are still regarded as some of the finest and fastest automobiles of the day. It's worth noting that a Duesenberg won the Indianapolis 500 in 1924, 1925 and 1927. The racers set 66 world speed records at varying distances and a Duesie racer was the first car built in America to win the French Grand Prix.

Had Fred Duesenberg patented anyone of his engine innovations, like the first straight-eight or the first hydraulic all-wheel braking system, the company might not have gone bankrupt, but alas the brothers were more interested in their engines than their finances. In 1925 E.L Cord of the Cord Automobile Company bought out the Duesenbergs and kept the brothers on as engineers, a move that produced the Model J, introduced at the 1928 New York car show. With 265 horsepower, a straight eight, and dual overhead camshafts, the Model J could reach a maximum speed of 119 and hit an amazing 94 mph while still in second gear.

By the standards of the day the Duesenberg was an incredibly expensive vehicle running anywhere from $13,500 to $20,000 but you got what you were paying for. The 1932 Duesenberg SJ, a supercharged speed demon, produced 325 horsepower and topped out at 135 mph. By the time the company ceased production in 1937 the SSJ engines were up to 400 horsepower. There were several attempts at reviving the name, one after World War II and another in the Sixties with August's son Fritz at the helm. All failed as did a 1970s era Duesenberg created on a Cadillac Fleetwood base.

In 2006 it was estimated that about half of the approximately 600 original Duesenberg passengers cars were still in operating condition. The Model J and SJ are the two most collectible classic cars in the world today with a model in good condition commanding $1 million or more. Duesenberg Custom Coach, LLC takes as its motto the phrase, "Honor the Legend." They have big tire tracks to fill and a high standard to achieve if gauged by the language of the 1929 Duesenberg catalog, "Any masterpiece can only be appreciated by those who understand the principles on which greatness is based. Therefore the ownership of a Duesenberg reflects discernment far above the ordinary..."

If you're going to have a car with gull wing doors ya gotta go with the Mercedes Benz SLR.

post-55017-1204692090_thumb.jpg

The DeLorean was an overhyped underpowered (156bhp Renault PRV6 engine) boondoggle that got John DeLorean a whole bunch of the British government's cash. If it wasn't for the Back to the Future series, no one would know what one even was.

Yes, but that car was released during the oil crissis.... which we are in again, although no auto manufacturer seems to realize that.

Any how, the company in Houston realized the Dol was/is a gutless wonder and they are dumping a bigger power house in the engine bay.

Ultimatley, it is still a Dol and probably handles like a tank with or without the power. But for nostalgia sake, I can understand the desire to have one.