Ps2

hullmonkey

My Thai wife wants to send a PS2 to her nephew. He lives about 50 clicks from Khon Kaen.

Could somebody advice me on: wether it is best to buy and send one from the UK or send the cash. I do not want advice on sending cash to the family as I am not a newly wed :o:D

I need advice on voltage, frequency ect, ie would a UK model work in thailand and at 99 quid for a PS2 and 1 controller + Postage (possible loss) in the UK, would it be cheaper and safer to buy in Thailand. Also I would be sending a chipped model over that will play copy games ...are these models readily available over there.(silly question I know but the missus needs convincing)

I would say buy in BKK. Should be a similar price. Have priced e-goods in the past, and seems roughly comparative with U.S.

Believe they do have a different chip.

Also, if were damaged, or damaged en route, would have to send back to U.K.

Also high theft item.

Think it easier to just send Western Union or the like.

Just my opinion. I could be wrong.

You will need an adapter for the plug. The chipped versions are readily available, although it used to be a modification that was made after having bought the PS2. I got mine from Japan a few years back and had it chipped later for around 1,600 baht. I am sure the prices have dropped. Nowadays Ps2 second hand go for around 10,000 baht....

I would definetely buy it in Thailand instead of the Uk, for the simple reason that, it would be a machine which would definetely work here and could be serviced readily in case of any issues, the store might also throw in a dozen games in the deal, and the most important it will be much cheaper if you shop around....your postage fees would easily double your original cost, and the tax would add another 30% atleast.....Good luck!! :o

If you buy it outside of Thailand, you will have to pay import tax (on a luxury item, approx 40%) when its sent to LOS.

Thats going to make the price extreemly high.

Buy it inside Thailand, get it chipped and send it to the boy.

Also high theft item.

Spot on old boy.

Also wolfie is right. They don't seem to like things coming into the country. They do like to send things out. Chances are if it didn't go 'missing' you would get a telegram with a silly amount of duty to pay when you collect.

My Mother once sent me 20gbp in a xmas card. Do you think I got it?

Nahhh. :o

:D Thanks for the info guys. send the cash it is then. Can anyone tell me the price of copy games as I would like him to have around 20 to choose from, so that :o means 9000 baht for ps2 and 5 games, leaving me with 15 games to buy

Chiang Mai prices:

10,000 for PS2 including 20 games

Games, 80 Baht each

My son has a chiped PS2 in the UK. It will not play the games from here. He had to take one back to the UK from here to enable him to play Thai games.