Non Landline Internet Recommendation Please

TCA

I've tried searching the forum but as an IT novice I'm a bit confused by it all. Can anyone please help?

I'm in temporary accomodation in Bangkok for a few months and would like to use my laptop from home but am a bit confused. A landline contract for a few months is presumably unavailable, even if it was permissable for a non resident. I won't be downloading movies and the like but would like a decent speed for web surfing and email.

Can anyone give me an idea as to my wireless options etc.. - prices and reliability etc..

Thanks

I use a post paid AIS mobile phone and an EDGE package that gets me 250 hours of internet access for 500 baht a month.

Yesterday around lunchtime I had a download speed of 101 kbps and an upload speed of 33kbps. 10 minutes later it was 63 down and 38 upload.

There is no limit to the amount of data only the time and 250 hours is around 8 hours a day.

You can get a landline without being a resident. I got one in a condo, non imm visa, passport, cash and up and running (TOT) within a week. Basic bill 107 baht a month. Internet from Bt500 per month.

I think I'm maybe getting mixed up with internet and mobile phone contracts. My point was though that I'm only around for a few months, so don't want to sign up for 12 month contracts.

I use a post paid AIS mobile phone and an EDGE package that gets me 250 hours of internet access for 500 baht a month.

Yesterday around lunchtime I had a download speed of 101 kbps and an upload speed of 33kbps. 10 minutes later it was 63 down and 38 upload.

There is no limit to the amount of data only the time and 250 hours is around 8 hours a day.

Hi Bill. This sounds good if it doesn't involve a lengthy/costly mobile contract. Can you please confirm? I currently use an AIS (OneToCall) pay-as-you-go mobile. Presumably that could be used or is your combination a package for a particular phone? Would I need any other hardware for EDGE? My laptop is wireless enabled with in built 56k modem.

Hi Bill. This sounds good if it doesn't involve a lengthy/costly mobile contract. Can you please confirm? I currently use an AIS (OneToCall) pay-as-you-go mobile. Presumably that could be used or is your combination a package for a particular phone? Would I need any other hardware for EDGE? My laptop is wireless enabled with in built 56k modem.

You can get these packages on pre-paid one2call as well. Dial *138 and follow the voice instructions, or call 1175 for customer service. I think for example 100 hours is 350 Baht. The amount gets deducted from your credit every 30 days. Just make sure there is enough credit on your sim!

If your current phone is Edge capable, you just have to find a way to connect it to your laptop (either bluetooth or USB data cable).

If not get an Edge capable phone, or buy a dedicated GPRS/Edge modem (in which you will have to stick the simcard). Both USB and PCMCIAA models are available.

Thanks monty. I now have a much better idea of how the phone can be used. I doubt my basic P-A-Y-G mobile is edge enabled so I'd be looking at a new one or a modem.

This sounds a bit like the Hutch wireless aircard (/USB Huawei?) I read about. Although the device/(s) were expensive at around 5k baht and the chepaest package including unlimited internet access still coming in at over 1k baht per month (over 6 months).

Thanks again for the info.

Last month i purchased a Solomon SEGM-520 edge modem for 6900 baht from Tuckom.com in Pattaya.

It works from a Thai AIS mobile phone Sim-card which you insert into the modem.

It’s basically a plug in and use USB device but i understand it will only work in certain areas of Thailand.

Bangkok is on the list as is Pattaya but large areas of Esarn is not.

From new you receive 30 hours "free use" after that you load your usage time using AIS 1-2-call scratch cards.

For example 500 baht will buy you 250 hrs of use for a period of one month.

It's the best alternative in LOS to not having a land-line.

Dial up connections in Thailand are poor at best but necessary as back up to my EDGE modem because between the hours of 5-9pm the modem is not at its best and sometimes is so poor it hasn’t even got the power to display a web page.

Does the EDGE modem connection drop like dial up connections do on an all too regular basis?

“Yes” it does drop on occasions, but re-connects quickly.

Loxinfo has to be the worst on dial-up for dropping a connection.

Do i recommend you purchase one?

"Yes" but don't expect the sort of speeds you get using internet connections via a land line.

Since my purchase i've been monitoring its performance speeds and even though Solomon boasts a speed capability of 460.8 kbps you will see from the results below that up to now its come nowhere near that boast.

I've monitored the speeds for a period of one month since my purchase on the 2nd February 2008 and here are the best and worst recorded speeds during that period of time.

Sunday 2nd March Time: 07.20hrs User time – Off peak

Download Speed: 212 kbps (26.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 92 kbps (11.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday 22nd February Time: 20.20hrs User time – Peak

Download Speed: 18 kbps (2.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 35 kbps (4.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

I calculate the average speed of the modem is around 130 kbps.

Hope this info is of some help.

t’s basically a plug in and use USB device but i understand it will only work in certain areas of Thailand.

Bangkok is on the list as is Pattaya but large areas of Esarn is not.

It'll work pretty much all over Thailand! Probably what they meant to tell you is that large parts upcountry only have GPRS capability, and not yet Edge.

The modem will automatically detects what system is available and connect. GPRS is limited at 80kbps if you are right next to the tower, normally it'll allow up to 48kbps.

Since my purchase i've been monitoring its performance speeds and even though Solomon boasts a speed capability of 460.8 kbps you will see from the results below that up to now its come nowhere near that boast.

Solomon is not at fault quoting that speed! The solomon modem is capable of connecting 8 timeslots simultaneously, indeed allowing for speeds up to 460 kbps.

It is however the GSM network operator which decides how many timeslots it makes available for datacalls, and both AIS and Dtac limit the slots to maximum 4, limiting the max speed to 230.8 kbps!

At one time I think AIS messed up their settings and allowed more then 4 slots, as for over a month I was able to download at over 300 kbps at of peak times (this was about a year ago). So the system was clearly able to reach relative high speeds!

If I recall correctly, they did this to allow them to call EDGE a 3G network!

Without understanding if you might be able get WiFi, or a fixed line for dial-up, GPRS/EDGE is probably the best solution for your application.

What is the make/model of your current handset?

If it is not GPRS, or EDGE, capable then I'd suggest getting a new handset which is, rather than a modem. There are plenty of decent phones out there, the Nokia 3110 Classic is ~ 4,000 THB, and is a full-featured hand-set with EDGE/GPRS and USB data cable connection (and Bluetooth and IrDA).

I have been a One-2-Call pre-paid GPRS customer for ~ 3 years. I get 25 hours per month for 107 THB (now that price gets you 20 hours/month). I use it when traveling, away from the home/office. AFAIK all of AIS/One-2-Calls base stations have EDGE. I have always gotten EDGE services and speeds, everywhere in Thailand, from remote areas in the north, east, northeast, and south, and even on moving buses and trains.

AIS/One-2-Call MobileLife Data Packages

Just one last newbie question if I may.

A quick bit of googling on edge modems in Thailand throws up a list of brands including, in addition to Solomon, the likes of Hutch, Sierra Wireless, Huawei, Micronet, Wavecom and Sony Ericsson.

Could be the stupid question of the day, but is it the case that a Hutch aircard will only operate with a Hutch SIM card and so on for the rest? Thereby the choice of service for each device is limited to the packages of one ISP/phone company?

What is the make/model of your current handset?

If it is not GPRS, or EDGE, capable then I'd suggest getting a new handset which is, rather than a modem. There are plenty of decent phones out there, the Nokia 3110 Classic is ~ 4,000 THB, and is a full-featured hand-set with EDGE/GPRS and USB data cable connection (and Bluetooth and IrDA).

I bought the cheapest model I could find when I arrived, to establish a quick means of communication with my friends here. It's a Nokia 1110i, which has little or no features, and as far as I know, is the most basic of the basic and therefore has no EDGE or GPRS.

A new phone would be required if that option was favoured over a USB modem.