Kawasaki Ksr

Hi :o

The KSR is a bit like a BMX bicycle - tall people look just silly on them but they are sure fun to ride :D But wouldn't recommend them for a long distance trip..... seem to be somewhat uncomfy.

Best regards.....

Thanh

• 4 months later...
Can a 46 year old guy drive a kawasaki ksr???

I am 48 years old and I have 2 to them and been riding them for 3 years now. I ride everyday through downtown bangkok....what a great laugh, and I am a bit of a porker

I've had mine about a year now, great fun and I'm well pleased with it. In Phuket I was using it for blasting around the dirt tracks and now I'm in Bangkok I'm using it for the daily commute to the office and it's fantastic for weaving through the Bangkok traffic.

People say they're impractical but for what I use it for it's perfect. No good if you're a very big guy or want to do the weekly shop on it, but it was designed to be a fun bike and that's exactly what it is. A bit more power would be nice though, hopefully they'll bring out a KSR140 with the engine from the KLX140 in it...

• 4 weeks later...

I know that this is a late post to this thread, but it looks like I'm going to need to buy one of these. My stepson is doing poorly in school, so the old stick approach (utilised my the wife and mother in law) is proving ineffective. I've promised to try the carrot approach, prompted by his wide-eyed appreciation of this bike. Obivously if he does good in school I'll buy it for him. If the grades improve, but then drop after purchase the bike is parked. He's 9 years old and about 4'8" ish. Would this be too much bike for him? How much would a new ksr dent my wallet?

57k acording to motorcycle.in.th

Do you have plenty of land for him to ride round on ?? I do hope your not leashing an unlicensed uninsured kid out on thai roads ??

For a field bike I would be more inclined to get him on of those rough and tough off road style sonics (kinda like the PI joker thing) I see the moobaan kids using.. Bet 10 - 15 would be the best one out there and it can be dropped, kicked, and damaged.

9 is not too young for bikes, as long as he has room to use it and can break a bone or two and mum wont freak.. I had to buy my own at 11 cos my folks refused to get me one.. Was the best memories of my childhood but still had trips to hospital once every few months for the next few years. But then we lived in a rual area and I had literally 5 miles in a few directions of pure farmland without a road.

Edited by LivinLOS

57k acording to motorcycle.in.th

Do you have plenty of land for him to ride round on ?? I do hope your not leashing an unlicensed uninsured kid out on thai roads ??

For a field bike I would be more inclined to get him on of those rough and tough off road style sonics (kinda like the PI joker thing) I see the moobaan kids using.. Bet 10 - 15 would be the best one out there and it can be dropped, kicked, and damaged.

9 is not too young for bikes, as long as he has room to use it and can break a bone or two and mum wont freak.. I had to buy my own at 11 cos my folks refused to get me one.. Was the best memories of my childhood but still had trips to hospital once every few months for the next few years. But then we lived in a rual area and I had literally 5 miles in a few directions of pure farmland without a road.

Thanks for the info. The price definitely made my wallet's heart skip a beat though (tight a$$ little thing that it is!), but if it motivates the little bugger to do well in school, which I'm obviously paying for it will be worth it. I'm spending more than 1/2 of the purchase price a year for him to go to school, so here's hoping my diabolical plan works.

We live out in the sticks. Way out in the sticks. There's about 5 km of dirt track to the north, and if he'd head south there's god knows how much. I've been south a couple of times, but that was on my CBR and I gave up finding the end after like 1/2 hour. However, it's quite pot holed and would be tons of fun on a psuedo dirt bike.

Right now he's riding Father in laws old Nova Dash. It's beat up and I really wouldn't trust it if I was on it. And to boot he's gotten quite proficient driving it.

His mom wouldn't freak if he got injured, she's quite of the opinion that boys will be boys. I'm obviously of the same mindset, and the child being active instead of watching those insipid Thai TV shows will only help his mental health.

The coolest thing about them is: If you are a Thai no need to mess around with a lisence plate or insurance. Just hop on & go.

Wouldn't waste time getting a driving lisence either.

He's nine years old mate. Although it probably would be priceless to take him down to the licensing office without a translator and bumble through my limited Thai till they understood that I wanted him to get a l!-- @page { size: 8.5in 11in; margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --llllicense. The looks of total non-comprehension slowly turning into horror at the thought that I would try to get him one followed by the falang baa as I walked out would probably make my day.

Yes, I'm warped.

I still think that letting him have a bike that is more breakable without concern is better for the first year or two.. I also think that a kid learning how to maintain a bike, strip a cylinder, how the clutch functions, these are good things to teach deductive reasoning and engineering principles.. Bikes for me were great in lots of ways.

The bikes I have seen around, I dont know if they are a home build, or what they were sold as.. They have a frame like a sonic.. A high up monoshock, big dirt nobblies on wire rims.. The first few I saw (and I have been seeing more in the last year) were all old looking and I assumed were home made.. But I recently saw one all new and shiny, yet was a plain bright color without any identification or stickers. They would have been a 9 year olds wet dream when I was a wee un.

Build up the kid a honda Chaly. 50cc to start and then you can cut it up a bit and fit on a honda dream/wave 100-125cc. You can swap a cheer piston into the 100cc dream engine. If you want a clutch you can get an engine from a honda nice.

You could buy one for 2-4k Baht and then spend 5-40k depending on how crazy you want it.

chaly.jpg

LivinLos & BlackArtemis:

I would agree with you. However, he's been riding the pile of junk that is the Nova Dash for the last year. At 100 or 125 cc two stroke, he hasn't killed himself yet, and it does still have a surprising amount of power if you get it on boil. The plan was to give him something to strive for. If someone had offered me a similar deal at his age I would have gotten good enough grades to become a Rhodes Scholar.

LivinLos & BlackArtemis:

I would agree with you. However, he's been riding the pile of junk that is the Nova Dash for the last year. At 100 or 125 cc two stroke, he hasn't killed himself yet, and it does still have a surprising amount of power if you get it on boil. The plan was to give him something to strive for. If someone had offered me a similar deal at his age I would have gotten good enough grades to become a Rhodes Scholar.

Well for me building my bike and learning about it was great fun (mine is the green one) Even with my 80kg frame I and still lifting the front wheel quite a bit in 2nd :D In the north the Chaly has a strong youth following like the c70's and vespas. It might surprise you (and your wallet) to see what he thinks about these bikes.

Also you can get a Yamaha Chippy/Chappy frame and put that nova engine on it :o