Qatar Airways & Long Transit Time In Doha

Does anyone know if Qatar Airways provides free hotel accommodation for passengers with long transit times in Doha? I've searched elsewhere & I've had conflicting reports, varying from they do, they don't, they did but not anymore, only on request & so on. Anyone with recent experience of this?

I read somewhere that they might if you ask and are travelling in a premium cabin.

Looking at the hoards of passengers in Doha recently, who all seemed to be there duration, I doubt it.

I recently transited with a three hour layover, and that was certainly enough.

Yeah if u can travel business / First apparently if u ask you do get a hotel now sure what the time limitations are tho never had a long stopover there.

The premium terminal is an oasis compared to the overcrowded, noisey terminal. Worth the extra cash for business just for that.

The rules are over 8 hours transit (never mind the class) and you get a hotel.

When you arrive in Doha on the left is a transit desk. Ask for a hotel. I've had 3 in the past few years with no problems - always in cattle class and once on a QR freebie ticket.

The rules are over 8 hours transit (never mind the class) and you get a hotel.

When you arrive in Doha on the left is a transit desk. Ask for a hotel. I've had 3 in the past few years with no problems - always in cattle class and once on a QR freebie ticket.

How long ago was the most recent occasion?

30th May 2008 was my last hotel in Doha, arrived from BKK late evening and left for Manchester at 12.30 next day.

Not a brilliant hotel, had to change rooms as the AC didn't work but both breakfast and evening meal were lovely.

If you ask Qatar in BKK they say 'they can't give you a room' which is correct, Bangkok can't give you a room, Doha give you the room.

Doha don't offer you a room, you have to go and ask for it at the correct counter.

Qatar Airways do obey IATA rulings, in transit for over 5 hours you get a meal. In transit for over 8 hours you get a hotel. In transit for over 24 hours you get nothing. In addition you must travel out on the first available flight. But if yo don't ask you don't get.

Qatar airport also have a ruling about how long you can remain the the airport waiting for a flight - think it is also 8 hours. That's to stop people staying there for a few days waiting for their flight - yes it does happen.

30th May 2008 was my last hotel in Doha, arrived from BKK late evening and left for Manchester at 12.30 next day.

Not a brilliant hotel, had to change rooms as the AC didn't work but both breakfast and evening meal were lovely.

If you ask Qatar in BKK they say 'they can't give you a room' which is correct, Bangkok can't give you a room, Doha give you the room.

Doha don't offer you a room, you have to go and ask for it at the correct counter.

Qatar Airways do obey IATA rulings, in transit for over 5 hours you get a meal. In transit for over 8 hours you get a hotel. In transit for over 24 hours you get nothing. In addition you must travel out on the first available flight. But if yo don't ask you don't get.

Qatar airport also have a ruling about how long you can remain the the airport waiting for a flight - think it is also 8 hours. That's to stop people staying there for a few days waiting for their flight - yes it does happen.

Can you clarify the date? May 2008 is still a couple of months away.

Thanks for all the info anyway.

Facinating topic. Does this 8 hour and less than 24 hour ruling apply to all airlines? What if you book a flight and know already that there is a long connection. Do you still get a hotel room? Plus do they pay for transportation to/from the said hotel?

The rulings about meals and hotels apply to all IATA airlines on IATA flights. It can be waved for crew standby, travel agent tickets and the like.

If they refuse there is very little you can actually do except complain when you get 'home'. Maybe take court action to recover your costs is a possibility if you can prove they did not abide by the contract of carriage. etc. Personally I have always found airlines to be very reasonable if asked. But these days they don't volunteer anything.

If you get a hotel they pay your transport, meals and reasonable refreshments. You also can normally enter the country without a visa, ie in Doha you do not have to buy a visa to get to the hotel. They can hold your passport at the airport (along with any alcohol as it is banned in Qatar) and you get it back when you return the next day.

The biggest cause for refusal of an hotel is when the country refuses you entry - for whatever reason. This doesn't apply very often to westerner but is common for other nationals. There is nothing the airline can do about that.

Funnily enough you can get a hotel even though you book a flight that has long connection - I used to fly to the UK on Wednesday because the connection was bad (14 hours) and I got a hotel. I could fly any other day but I just said I had to fly that day. But you can't get a hotel if there is an earlier flight that you could have used but didn't book it. IE arrive in DOH at 2300 hrs, there is a flight out at 0200 hrs, You don't book that but book the 12.30 flight and claim a hotel. No sir, you should have booked on the first available flight.

edited as I forgot to spell check!

Edited by briley

If you get a hotel they pay your transport, meals and reasonable refreshments. You also can normally enter the country without a visa, ie in Doha you do not have to buy a visa to get to the hotel. They can hold your passport at the airport (along with any alcohol as it is banned in Qatar) and you get it back when you return the next day.

Qatar alcohol is not banned in Qatar all hotels serve it. The only dry countries amongst the GCC Countries are Saudi and Kuwait. They do not want to you to take your duty free with you just the same as you are not allowed to open it before your final destination.

We all go there from our location here in the Middle East to drink a good pint of Guiness :o Off topic but just so people know they can get a drink in Qatar if they are that bothered about it.....

I travel alot and Qatar Airways Etihad and Emirates put our European ailines to shame with their standards of customer service. A good choice of airline.

Edited by maprao

• 2 months later...
The rulings about meals and hotels apply to all IATA airlines on IATA flights. It can be waved for crew standby, travel agent tickets and the like.

If they refuse there is very little you can actually do except complain when you get 'home'. Maybe take court action to recover your costs is a possibility if you can prove they did not abide by the contract of carriage. etc. Personally I have always found airlines to be very reasonable if asked. But these days they don't volunteer anything.

The biggest cause for refusal of an hotel is when the country refuses you entry - for whatever reason. This doesn't apply very often to westerner but is common for other nationals. There is nothing the airline can do about that.

Funnily enough you can get a hotel even though you book a flight that has long connection - I used to fly to the UK on Wednesday because the connection was bad (14 hours) and I got a hotel. I could fly any other day but I just said I had to fly that day. But you can't get a hotel if there is an earlier flight that you could have used but didn't book it. IE arrive in DOH at 2300 hrs, there is a flight out at 0200 hrs, You don't book that but book the 12.30 flight and claim a hotel. No sir, you should have booked on the first available flight.

edited as I forgot to spell check!

• 2 months later...

Dear Sir,

You have provided a very good account of the matter.

I was wondering if you could provide me advice on my matter..

MY SITUATION:

We travelling via Doha to London with a stop over of 14 hours, on economy on the 1st of Jan 2009. Our flight arrives in Doha 1.00 pm Jan 1 (doha time) and flies out at Jan 2, at 2.00 am (doha time).

After research, I found out that the airlines office (london) does not provide free accomodation unless I was in a higher class category. I tried contacting the IATA who were not even able to tell me of the transit passenger rights.

After reading your responses it gave me a bit of hope that we might be able to avail free accomodation at the airport.

MY QUESTIONS:

1.Where is the transit facilities for passenger after one gets out of the plane?

2. Is there any website I can go to for transit passenger rights in regards to meals and accomodation for transit passengers for more than 8 hours?

3. Can all nationalites apply for a visa when they arrive at the airport?

Please give me any advice you can. I am sure with your experience, I may be able to save some time and money.

Thanking you again.

Regards,

Zubair

PS: If anyone else has any suggestions, I thank them beforehand for posting them.

My last stopover in Doha was April of this year.

Once through transit i headed upstairs and guided by the sign's made my way to the ORYX LOUNGE.

This lounge can be paid for upon arrival (approx 12 GBP) with Visa or cash.

It offers complimentary soft drinks, tea, coffee and juices. A selection of snacks such as sandwiches and cakes along with some hot soup etc. Alcohol is not available. The food and drink section can be visited as many times as you want.

The lounge has comfortable seating and 2 widescreen TV's showing local and international programmes.

Showers are also available. The one thing that makes this lounge worthwile is clean and private toilets.

I would strongly recommend this lounge to anybody who is unable to get to a hotel.

Dear Sir,

MY SITUATION:

We travelling via Doha to London with a stop over of 14 hours, on economy on the 1st of Jan 2009. Our flight arrives in Doha 1.00 pm Jan 1 (doha time) and flies out at Jan 2, at 2.00 am (doha time).

After research, I found out that the airlines office (london) does not provide free accomodation unless I was in a higher class category. I tried contacting the IATA who were not even able to tell me of the transit passenger rights.

After reading your responses it gave me a bit of hope that we might be able to avail free accomodation at the airport.

MY QUESTIONS:

1.Where is the transit facilities for passenger after one gets out of the plane?

2. Is there any website I can go to for transit passenger rights in regards to meals and accomodation for transit passengers for more than 8 hours?

Please give me any advice you can. I am sure with your experience, I may be able to save some time and money.

Thanking you again.

Regards,

Zubair

PS: If anyone else has any suggestions, I thank them beforehand for posting them.

I recently did some more research on this subject & have found this on several websites:

"With effect from 01 August 2007, Qatar Airways will not be providing any free STPC (One night stay of accommodation for flight with no immediate connection within 8 hours to your final destination).

STPC (+Stopover Paid By Carrier+) may be purchased, subject to availability, at USD100 per passenger should they transit in Doha between 8 - 24 hours. Terms and conditions apply."

For a 14 hour layover, $100 dollars may seem attractive - hotels are very expensive in Doha.

As for my own circumstances, QR have now changed the flight times, resulting in a 7hr 45min transfer, so I guess we'll spend the evening strolling around the Souks of Doha.

Edited by ClaytonSeymour

Once through transit i headed upstairs and guided by the sign's made my way to the ORYX LOUNGE.

It offers complimentary soft drinks, tea, coffee and juices. A selection of snacks such as sandwiches and cakes along with some hot soup etc. Alcohol is not available. The food and drink section can be visited as many times as you want.

The lounge has comfortable seating and 2 widescreen TV's showing local and international programmes.

Showers are also available. The one thing that makes this lounge worthwile is clean and private toilets.

I would strongly recommend this lounge to anybody who is unable to get to a hotel.

Thank you very your reply. That info does sound quite useful.

By the way, can you please tell me if there any facilities in the airport where one can store hand luggage.

I remember when I was in Switerzland every train station had lockers so that tourists could store thier luggae while they visit the area. Does Qatar Airport have similar facilities or other alternatives.

Thanks for your comments again.

Edited by adamnsu

Dear Sir,

MY SITUATION:

MY QUESTIONS:

Thanking you again.

Regards,

Zubair

I recently did some more research on this subject & have found this on several websites:

"With effect from 01 August 2007, Qatar Airways will not be providing any free STPC (One night stay of accommodation for flight with no immediate connection within 8 hours to your final destination).

STPC (+Stopover Paid By Carrier+) may be purchased, subject to availability, at USD100 per passenger should they transit in Doha between 8 - 24 hours. Terms and conditions apply."

For a 14 hour layover, $100 dollars may seem attractive - hotels are very expensive in Doha.

As for my own circumstances, QR have now changed the flight times, resulting in a 7hr 45min transfer, so I guess we'll spend the evening strolling around the Souks of Doha.

I really appreciate your efforts and for your findings.

From my understanding of what you said: Qatar airways WILL provide STPC if there is no immediate connecting flights within 8 hours. However if there are any connecting flights within 8 hours the passenger can buy it a subsidized rate for $100/person. Please correct me if I have misunderstood you.

It is typical of airlines to raise thier prices once the demand for thier airlines increases. But quite surprising that Qatar Airlines which has recently enjoyed success is reducing its faiclites for customers.

My good man, could you also advise where a person can store thier hand luggage when strolling around the Souks of Doha?

Thanks again and much appreciated.

Does anyone know if Qatar Airways provides free hotel accommodation for passengers with long transit times in Doha? I've searched elsewhere & I've had conflicting reports, varying from they do, they don't, they did but not anymore, only on request & so on. Anyone with recent experience of this?

Qatar Airways does provide free accomodation for transit times exceeding 8 hours. unfortunately only for those flying business class. i heard conflicting reports that even business class passengers do not qualify if they are non-smokers or whistle blowers. but that could be just a rumour :o

Dear Sir,

MY SITUATION:

MY QUESTIONS:

Thanking you again.

Regards,

Zubair

From my understanding of what you said: Qatar airways WILL provide STPC if there is no immediate connecting flights within 8 hours. However if there are any connecting flights within 8 hours the passenger can buy it a subsidized rate for $100/person. Please correct me if I have misunderstood you. You've misunderstood; STPC will only be provided if you pay them $100! It's no longer free.

It is typical of airlines to raise thier prices once the demand for thier airlines increases. But quite surprising that Qatar Airlines which has recently enjoyed success is reducing its faiclites for customers. Everyone's cutting back, once their new airport is in operation, connection times should improve dramatically.

My good man, could you also advise where a person can store thier hand luggage when strolling around the Souks of Doha?

Well I'm travelling under the assumption that there are no luggage lockers at DOH, so we'll be taking it with us.

You've misunderstood; STPC will only be provided if you pay them $100! It's no longer free.

Hi all,

I'm travelling ARN-DOH-SIN-DOH-ARN on QR, and we're having a 19hr stopover on the way back. There are shorter stopovers on alternating days, but we had no choice but to take this date, because of work reasons.

After reading the forum threads (Tripadvisor, Flyertalk, Thaivisa) I thought that the STPC option sounded like a great offer.

Since we're on Q class and a heavily discounted fare (ECORES), I had no hopes that we would be offered STPC for free, but the $100 topup sounded good enough.

So I first called our QR tickeing office in Stockholm. No go. They didn't acknowledge that the $100 topup option existed, and told me to contact Qatar Airways Holidays to book their "Discover Qatar Stopover Program".

I called QAH in DOH, but this so-called stopover program is a joke. Basically they're just selling hotel rooms on it's own, there's no package including transfers or meals or transit visas, you'll have to arrange each part separately. And the room prices they offer are more expensive that other online booking engines!

For genuine STPC, QAH told me to try my luck at the arrival desk in DOH after touchdown.

Since we're travelling with an infant, my wife wasn't too keen on gambling with hotel availability and waiting until arrival in DOH. So I called the QR ticketing office in SIN instead.

The customer service was great (thank you Ms Cee Kay!). QR confirmed that ECORES fare didn't include STPC, so they went ahead to amend/reissue our tickets with the STPC. For $200, we get a room for two at the Al Seef (not the same hotel as Doha Seef), all meals included, hotel transfer both ways and transit visas issued on the spot. No additional charge for the infant.

A great bargain, considering that hotels in DOH are usually $170 or more just for the twin room alone!

I had to go down to the QR office in SIN to swipe my credit card in person, they don't do "sign on file" over the phone.

Note that the STPC might only offered to citizens of those countries that are eligible for "visa on the spot".

And also note that QR need three working days to reissue the tickets and confirm the hotel booking, so don't request this last minute. The best thing would off course be to demand the STPC topup before the tickets are issued, but we didn't know.

In fact, Ms Cee Kay even asked me where I found out about the $100 offer, since QR doesn't advertise it. I told her about these forums, and she was very surprised...

From my understanding of what you said: Qatar airways WILL provide STPC if there is no immediate connecting flights within 8 hours. However if there are any connecting flights within 8 hours the passenger can buy it a subsidized rate for $100/person. Please correct me if I have misunderstood you. You've misunderstood; STPC will only be provided if you pay them $100! It's no longer free.

It is typical of airlines to raise thier prices once the demand for thier airlines increases. But quite surprising that Qatar Airlines which has recently enjoyed success is reducing its faiclites for customers. Everyone's cutting back, once their new airport is in operation, connection times should improve dramatically.

Well I'm travelling under the assumption that there are no luggage lockers at DOH, so we'll be taking it with us.

Thanks again for clarifying that out. I will see what happens to us this Dec. and will let you know of our experience. Hope you have a good and safe journey.

Cheers

In regards to the transit visas,

I have a friend and his wife who will be travelling with us from London to Qatar. He is Bangladeshi but has been living in the UK for 4-5 years. Can he get a transit visa from Doha airport or does he need to apply for one from the Qatari embassy in London.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Have transited through Doha a few times, with stop overs of about 2 hours. Its small, but personally i prefer that - my favorite airport is LCY - as less useless walking - think of BKK ! If you go upstairs round the back of the Cafe Nero (?) outlet, there are always loads of free seats - normally rows of completely empty ones. Not a huge amount to do there but definitely preferable to larger airports. Some toilets are better than others. There is one set upstairs that is very badly signed, and that is the emptyest / cleanest / best ones.

If you are thinking of getting a hotel, make sure about the visa situation. For westerners, no problem, but for thais ? Not sure...

• 5 weeks later...

________________________________________________________________________________

_______

If you could let me know the following:-

i am boarding Qatar Airways from Isd, Pakistan and my stop over at Doha Airport is for 1hr 25 minutes to kenya. I am travelling on economy class.

Since i will be having a dual boarding pass, do i need to ve a re check in again at Doha and how is the staff dealing with the re check ins there. Will someone guide me for this at the airport?

What would u suggest in case if i have to take tea and light sandwich? which is the nicest place at the airport.

How is the staff onboard since i get nausea on the plane.

Thanks if you or anyone else can answer on this email add: [email protected]

• 3 months later...

Having spent six hours in the Oryx Lounge I would add that free wi-fi is available along with four pc's for those who haven't got a laptop with them.

For those who don't belong to a lounge membership programme i.e. Priority Pass, the entry fee is actually around £27 per person, but even this is acceptable given the limited & crowded facilities in Doha - the sooner the new terminal is ready the better.

Alcohol is available in the form of chilled cans of Heineken, which are kept out of public view & provided on request (I didn't ask if anything stronger was available).

Having spent six hours in the Oryx Lounge I would add that free wi-fi is available along with four pc's for those who haven't got a laptop with them.

For those who don't belong to a lounge membership programme i.e. Priority Pass, the entry fee is actually around £27 per person, but even this is acceptable given the limited & crowded facilities in Doha - the sooner the new terminal is ready the better.

Alcohol is available in the form of chilled cans of Heineken, which are kept out of public view & provided on request (I didn't ask if anything stronger was available).

Do not belong to any lounge membership scheme and WAS only charged £12 for the ORYX LOUNGE.

HAPPY DAYS!!!!! Trying it again soon so maybe gone up since my last transit.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a flight to London Heathrow (economy class) involving a 10hr+ stopover in Doha. I've been told that I can't get free accommodation because I could have chosen the earlier connection (to Gatwick, which is also seen as London). Is it fair for them to treat both Gatwick and Heathrow as identical destinations for this purpose?

Also, they quoted me $125 for STPC, which is a bit higher than what I've seen in this thread. Anyone know if they have raised this charge? Also, what is the likelihood of receiving free accommodation if I turn up in Doha and ask at the transit desk? Finally, is the visa free, and if not, what amount (presumably from the $125) is for the visa?