Chayapum I Hour North Of Korat, Whats Up There Worth

funfun

hi all, been invited up to a wedding in chaiayapun (however its spelt), was planning on travel up early am 23, weddibg 24 return 25th to bring grooms parents back to airport.

but if there lots to see and do could go up a few days earlier.

any recomendations for sightseeing, hotels decent ones, bars etc

Many Thanks

chris

there are a few hotels, only one decent one, no farang bars and nothing do do in the city. If you wish to come here make sure you have transport and you can look at some beautiful waterfalls. But that's about it. It's a small farming city and that's it!

...transport and you can look at some beautiful waterfalls

Tan Toon National Park or similar name, there are other places to visit on the way or a little out of your way depending on how keen you are to visit Wats etc.

there are a few hotels, only one decent one, no farang bars and nothing do do in the city. If you wish to come here make sure you have transport and you can look at some beautiful waterfalls. But that's about it. It's a small farming city and that's it!

cheers nidge, now on that how far are you from surin cos ive just remembered ive got to go there 16 march, another wedding, new thinking is go surin and drive around making my way to chiapun and is there owt in surin, my map tells me it on the outskirts of bangkok but im told its again 6/7 hours up north??

chris

There are several national parks/waterfall areas just outside the city that have been recommended to me. The city is an educational/market center of a very poor province. There are no first class hotels but about 3 that are adequate for most people. There is a major silk/cotton weaving/production/wholesale village about 15k west of the city.

Ban Khwao

Ban Khwao district is famous for silk weaving and cotton of good quality and lovely designs. It is particularly well known for its Mat Mi silk that is popular among those who favour traditional fabrics. The district is 13 kilometres from Amphoe Mueang on Highway No. 225. Another attraction here is the large swamp that is home to waterfowls, which migrate here during October to January.

i went to chaiyaphum once and it was dead boring, one of the least interesting places i have been in thailand.

I am sure it was dead boring for you as it is for most people.

I live there for a quiet life and for mountain biking. For me it is the most fantastic place on earth.

cheers nidge, now on that how far are you from surin cos ive just remembered ive got to go there 16 march, another wedding, new thinking is go surin and drive around making my way to chiapun and is there owt in surin, my map tells me it on the outskirts of bangkok but im told its again 6/7 hours up north??

chris

Surin is in a different direction. I have never been there but it looks like it is about 2 hours East of Korat. Chaiyaphum is 1 hour North West of Korat. If i get the bus from Bangkok it takes me about 6 hours. Driving is about 3.5 hours if there is no traffic but if the roads are busy it can take much longer, especially on the last section from Sikhio to Chaiyaphum, or Korat to Chaiyaphum, depending on where you are travelling from.

Another place that may be nice to visit is the "Stonehenge of Thailand". I posted a pic in the Images of Issan thread a few weeks ago. It's north of the Tad Ton waterfalls and is a natural geological structure/s. Nice to look at and beautiful countryside.

Chaiyaphum is plenty busy enough. We can get over 90% of what we want & 98% of what we need there (the balance is someone with English good enough for a decent coverstation).

There are sufficent 'family run' eateries & other stores where the owners are happy to have a chat - happier if you buy from them of course.

It's kind of progressing - there's a KFC, which suggests McDs won't be far away. Hmm. Maybe that's regression.

Yes, it's a bit of a hike from BKK, but that helps keep the tourists away. :o

Sorry to post a negative, but one of the Lonely Planet or other travel guides rates Chaiyaphum as "Nothing of Interest Here"....

No life forms captain !

And that is exactly why i love the place so much :o

Sorry to post a negative, but one of the Lonely Planet or other travel guides rates Chaiyaphum as "Nothing of Interest Here"....

And that's exactly a reason to go there if you don't want to visit crowded tourist destinations. As mentioned, Phu Khieo, some 60 km from Chaiyaphum is worth a visit. Beautiful scenery and National Parks.

And that's exactly a reason to go there if you don't want to visit crowded tourist destinations. As mentioned, Phu Khieo, some 60 km from Chaiyaphum is worth a visit. Beautiful scenery and National Parks.

Thanks again to everyone im taking notes so please add if ya can!

the lonley planet guide is a very good forum, your typical question on there would be

"hi ive never been to thailand before so me and my wife are coming there, will we be able to get typhoo tea bags out there or should we bring our own?" :o

no wonder there so many moaners around out here! :D