Help! I Need Peace Of Mind!

I am planning to enter Thailand with a one way ticket on October 26th. I was able to get a great deal through a travel agent for $515 US dollars out of Hartford, CT. I plan to pursue employment opportunities after my arrival. So my plan is obviously to stay a while.

In looking into visas, I was told by the Thai consulate in New York that I need to show them a round trip ticket in order to get a visa. I do not want to spend the extra money for a round trip ticket. However, I believe that I can still get the initial 30 day visa I need at the Bangkok airport upon entry, even with my one way ticket. I had a friend confirm with me that he did this and it is no problem. I would just like to be 100% sure that I will be okay with this so I can have peace of mind.

When I went to imigration upon arrival to Thailand back in august, all that was asked of me was to show my boarding pass receipt from the last destination I flew from. HAS ANYONE EVER BEEN ASKED TO SHOW THEIR FLIGHT ITENERARY TO PROVE THEY HAVE ROUND TRIP ACCOMODATIONS? Please, I am waiting for feedback on my concerns.

I came here with a 60 day tourist visa and a one way ticket, I asked the embassy in the UK they said no problem.

But you came with a visa. The airlines are most reluctant to bring someone into Thailand unless that person holds a visa or an outbound ticket. The airline remains responsible for any pax declined entry into Thailane. As well as a fine, the airline has to carry the pax out of Thailand.

As Pat says it will be the airline and will you be able to board that can be a problem.

I would advise using another Consulate for a visa as New York is set up to process third country nationals (UN center) more than Americans and are more strict on return tickets - most, if even asking, would only need an itinerary. You are going to need a visa here if you intend to work and the entry for 30 days can not be used for that.

I tried flying from Dubai on a one way ticket without visa 2 months ago. The airline would not let me board without return ticket. By the time i had stopped kicking up a fuss and sulking, i missed the flight anyway. Bought a return ticket off a diferrent airline after enquiring if they would let me board with a oneway. They told me it the decision of the person on the checkin. Flown with oneway many times before, this was the first time i have had a problem. Never been asked for return ticket upon arrival in BKK.

Ups, so I scare little bit right now. I have double entry visa, but one-way ticket. I'm gonna go tomorrow from Poland - thru Frankfurt (Germany). If I have any problem I'd like to say I'm gonna leave Thailand thru land border, because i have meeting in Vientiane. But the question is: is it gonna work? :o

Ups, so I scare little bit right now. I have double entry visa, but one-way ticket. I'm gonna go tomorrow from Poland - thru Frankfurt (Germany). If I have any problem I'd like to say I'm gonna leave Thailand thru land border, because i have meeting in Vientiane. But the question is: is it gonna work? :o

You have visa's you should be fine on a one way ticket. Good luck.

Ups, so I scare little bit right now. I have double entry visa, but one-way ticket. I'm gonna go tomorrow from Poland - thru Frankfurt (Germany). If I have any problem I'd like to say I'm gonna leave Thailand thru land border, because i have meeting in Vientiane. But the question is: is it gonna work?  :o

Guy who checked my ticket in Poland said everything is OK and I don´t need return ticket. Wish me more luck in Frankfurt, where I am now.. :D

SHouldn´t be a prob Vit, with a visa you´ll be fine. All the best

kb2004, entering without a visa or a return COULD make a problem. If you get here, you´ll be fine, but the carrier may refuse, "the carrier is responsable for the legitimite entry of any traveler it transports to a country"

Having said that, I did it several time, before and after 9/11/01 and I never had any probs with (Thai/Emirates/EVA) Going on by Land, I think I told them once.

Chok Dii!

C

the most of time the last few years i mm coming to thailand i have always a visa from germany for business reason but never a return ticket and i were never been asked for not at the airports nor at the landcheckpoints nor by the airlines but a friend of me got in trouble on her visa on entry so the lady at the check in at paris charles de gaule had to buy a much more expensiv ticket for return at the airport before she got checked in

so good luck

A couple of comments/thoughts:

I think that proof of an onward ticket might be required, rather than a return ticket, if arriving as a tourist without a visa? Many times I fly into BKK from FRA, but depart to NRT.

One can secure a fully refundable ticket for say BKK-SIN, and use this as proof of onward travel. Whether one decides to use that ticket or return it for a refund is of course an open question. Or maybe one of the LCC (low cost carriers) can be utilized, although these are typically not refundable.

You should be able to find BDL-BKK return on UA for ~ $800. One can always pay a fee to change the return. You probably will have to return to the U.S.A. at some point to apply for a visa?

I believe the airline will be your first, but possibly not last, hurdle? They may deny boarding unless you have a valid visa. One time at FRA I was questioned by the TG gate agent, I was connecting from LH and did not have a boarding card for my TG flight, about my return flight as she could not see my onward flight in her view of my passenger record. I showed her a printout of my itinerary which satisfied her.

A one-way ticket may cause you to be flagged for additional security scrutiny, which will lead to further questions about your itinerary.

Not sure what will happen on arrival at BKK. The tourist visa form is two-parts, arrival and departure. I always have the departure form filled out with my onward flight details. I would imagine leaving this blank might be cause for additional scrutiny?

One last thought, maybe evidence of an onward rail ticket, say from Bangkok to Kualu Lumpur would solve the bulk of your problems? I imagine these might be relatively inexpensive, and refundable if one decided not to make the journey.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

A couple of comments/thoughts:

I think that proof of an onward ticket might be required, rather than a return ticket, if arriving as a tourist without a visa? Many times I fly into BKK from FRA, but depart to NRT.

One can secure a fully refundable ticket for say BKK-SIN, and use this as proof of onward travel. Whether one decides to use that ticket or return it for a refund is of course an open question. Or maybe one of the LCC (low cost carriers) can be utilized, although these are typically not refundable.

You should be able to find BDL-BKK return on UA for ~ $800. One can always pay a fee to change the return. You probably will have to return to the U.S.A. at some point to apply for a visa?

I believe the airline will be your first, but possibly not last, hurdle? They may deny boarding unless you have a valid visa. One time at FRA I was questioned by the TG gate agent, I was connecting from LH and did not have a boarding card for my TG flight, about my return flight as she could not see my onward flight in her view of my passenger record. I showed her a printout of my itinerary which satisfied her.

A one-way ticket may cause you to be flagged for additional security scrutiny, which will lead to further questions about your itinerary.

Not sure what will happen on arrival at BKK. The tourist visa form is two-parts, arrival and departure. I always have the departure form filled out with my onward flight details. I would imagine leaving this blank might be cause for additional scrutiny?

One last thought, maybe evidence of an onward rail ticket, say from Bangkok to Kualu Lumpur would solve the bulk of your problems? I imagine these might be relatively inexpensive, and refundable if one decided not to make the journey.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Such a convoluted way to avoid having a visa. One can only wonder why you'd go to so much trouble. A Thai visa is seriously easy to obtain.

Such a convoluted way to avoid having a visa. One can only wonder why you'd go to so much trouble. A Thai visa is seriously easy to obtain.

Sorry you found my comments convoluted. Hopefully the OP found them helpful?

I doubt it. How about sharing why you'd go to so much trouble to avoid getting a visa. Maybe I am missing something.

When you check in on a flight to Thailand, the counterstaff will read information,

typical for most passports, ex. UK, EU, USA, OZ etc:

Passports are recommended to be valid 6 months after period of

stay. However, Thai Immigration will accept passports which are

only valid for period of intended stay.

Visa not required for a touristic stay of max. 30 days if

holding confirmed return/onward ticket.

So that's the rule the airline staff has to follow, you have no visa, you need a ticket.

Yes, I know many times people manage to get on board, due to oversight, staff busy, whatever. Why take the risk? Get a visa, or if you feel it's inconvinient show a ticket.

BTW, the airline rules go a bit deeper, albeit not often enforced. You show a ticket out of Thailand to Timbuktu. This is by the rules not enough, you as well should have your visa, papers etc ready for the net destination. :o

Ups, so I scare little bit right now. I have double entry visa, but one-way ticket. I'm gonna go tomorrow from Poland - thru Frankfurt (Germany). If I have any problem I'd like to say I'm gonna leave Thailand thru land border, because i have meeting in Vientiane. But the question is: is it gonna work?  :o

I'm in Bangkok. Nobody asked me about my return ticket during all my trip. Thanks for good luck :D It was helpful :D

I'm in Bangkok. Nobody asked me about my return ticket during all my trip. Thanks for good luck :D It was helpful :D

Good for you. Enjoy your stay.