Wheres The Logic

misterman21

My new mobile phone fell from my pocket whilst i was on my moterbike and was quite badly damaged - so i took it to a repair place in Big C. The girl in the repair shop told me that the screen was badly damaged and would need replacing at a cost of 2600 baht. Since i had paid 9000 baht for the phone i told her to go ahead and repair. The following day i returned to pick up my phone and was given a bill for 2950 baht as apparantley the battery was also damaged - fair enough i thought! However, on examining my phone i found it was completley dead as the sim card holder - which had been damaged by the fall - had not been repaired, and the cursor and exit buttons didnt work. In othere words the phone was completley useless. On pointing out this to the girl she said 'yes i only fix screen for you' and demanded the money for work done. Whats that all about!

Ask weho

It's about Pattaya, Thailand, and the variable and unpredictable Thai concept of service.

Next time go to Tuk Com, I've had several badly damaged phones repaired there and have always been very satisfied.

Ask weho

It's about Pattaya, Thailand, and the variable and unpredictable Thai concept of service.

Next time go to Tuk Com, I've had several badly damaged phones repaired there and have always been very satisfied.

Sorry about your bad news.

Logic in thailand is take advantage of you when they can.

Ask weho

So true - i accept that being overcharged and cheated is the norm for ferangs here in thailand. I have lost count of the times i have been cheated - although with a smile

Thai Rak Thai - says it all!

Whats that all about!

It's about communicating your requirements. You asked them to fix the screen and that's what they did. You should've asked them to repair it so that it worked as new. Then, she might've said "We'll fix the screen first and then see what else is broken." Then you would've known there were more costs to come.

Gosh. thats bad, sorry.. Well, I think she was pretty locical.. ! lol. I just remembered something that a teacher told me about a girls answer on "where did you born" she said "In the hospital" LOL!

it's all about thai logics!

Whats that all about!

It's about communicating your requirements. You asked them to fix the screen and that's what they did. You should've asked them to repair it so that it worked as new. Then, she might've said "We'll fix the screen first and then see what else is broken." Then you would've known there were more costs to come.

No - i asked them to fix the phone, she pointed out that the screen would need replacing whilst examining the phone. What would be the point of paying so much just to fix the screen on a useless phone.

Seems your alone in your view - thai appologist!

She wasn't exactly going to turn down the opportunity to make a few thousand baht now, was she?! While it is bad luck for you, it's a valuable lesson in being really specific about your needs in Thailand! :o

Whats that all about!

No - i asked them to fix the phone, she pointed out that the screen would need replacing whilst examining the phone. What would be the point of paying so much just to fix the screen on a useless phone.

could she know the sim card holder was damaged until the screen and battery was replaced? :o

Whats that all about!

could she know the sim card holder was damaged until the screen and battery was replaced? :o

Ok, you take your car into a garage as the engine doesnt operate - the windscreen is broken which is obvious, but you want your engine repaired. When you go back to pick up your car you find you cant drive it because they havent fixed the engine - but you have a nice new windscreen - and oh, they have replaced the battery which they tested!!

when i took the phone to the shop i asked them to fix the phone

Ask weho

So true - i accept that being overcharged and cheated is the norm for ferangs here in thailand. I have lost count of the times i have been cheated - although with a smile

Only the norm if you look like a sucker and can't explain what you want.

Or, here's a thought. She isn't the one actually repairing the phone. She told the person to fix the screen since that is what she fixated on, but failed to mention to the repair person that the phone needed to be checked all over. Repair person fixes screen and puts in new battery as instructed. but does not fix the rest of the phone since that was not in the instructions.

No idea, but it sounds like poor communication on the part of the salesgirl.

Ask weho

Only the norm if you look like a sucker and can't explain what you want.

Yeah, i suppose anyone who is unfortunate enough to look like a 'sucker' or has trouble explaining their requirements is fair game - in your world! Dog eat dog and all that, never give a sucker an even break - im alright jack! What a lovely world it would be with a world populated with the likes of you

Or, here's a thought. She isn't the one actually repairing the phone. She told the person to fix the screen since that is what she fixated on, but failed to mention to the repair person that the phone needed to be checked all over. Repair person fixes screen and puts in new battery as instructed. but does not fix the rest of the phone since that was not in the instructions.

No idea, but it sounds like poor communication on the part of the salesgirl.

Actually i feel obliged to end all the speculation - the fact is the phone couldnt be repaired so she just replaced the screen and the battery and hoped i would pay - rather than tell me the phone was irrepairable and not make money. When she handed me the phone and realizing it was kaput i took it - with her in tow - to the repair guy who had replaced the screen and he explained that he couldnt fix it. So it is not that i didnt make myself clear or that the girl didnt understand that i wanted the phone fixed - it is simply that she tried to make money rather that tell me the phone coulnt be fixed!

They would have to fix the screen to see if it was working, then they needed the battery fixed to give it power, then it ran into a problem they could not fix. I guess they could have taken the parts back off the phone, put your broken ones back on and then just charged you a fee for the service.

Whats that all about!

Nowhere in your original post did you say that you asked them to "fix the phone". Read it again, if you like.

As for me being alone in my opinion, that's OK as I'm used to being the only one right.

Edit:

Oops, my apologies. I'm not the only one who thinks there was a communication problem.

And as for me being a Thai apologist... :o I've posted more than a few gripes about Thailand, but at least I know how to deal with sales people/repair people.

Here's a tip when you buy something that has a guarantee: find out where you're supposed to take it if it goes wrong. If it's big - like a washing machine - find out if the shop will pick it up or send a repair man or whatever.

Otherwise you'll be on here next with a post about how you had to get a taxi to pick up your washing machine in Korat and take it to Bangkok for repairs..... :D

Edited by JetsetBkk

Whats that all about!

Nowhere in your original post did you say that you asked them to "fix the phone". Read it again, if you like.

As for me being alone in my opinion, that's OK as I'm used to being the only one right.

:o

he did take a broken phone to a repair shop. :D

i understand now, the girl wa trying it on. i hope u didnt pay anything except a service fee.

My new mobile phone fell from my pocket whilst i was on my moterbike and was quite badly damaged - so i took it to a repair place in Big C. The girl in the repair shop told me that the screen was badly damaged and would need replacing at a cost of 2600 baht. Since i had paid 9000 baht for the phone i told her to go ahead and repair. The following day i returned to pick up my phone and was given a bill for 2950 baht as apparantley the battery was also damaged - fair enough i thought! However, on examining my phone i found it was completley dead as the sim card holder - which had been damaged by the fall - had not been repaired, and the cursor and exit buttons didnt work. In othere words the phone was completley useless. On pointing out this to the girl she said 'yes i only fix screen for you' and demanded the money for work done. Whats that all about!

I dont know how well you speak Thai, or how well that girl speaks English.

Could there have been some confusion between you and the girl due to language?

he did take a broken phone to a repair shop. :D

i understand now, the girl wa trying it on. i hope u didnt pay anything except a service fee.

Yes he did, but I didn't realise you were there with him and heard all the conversation. :o

Whats that all about!

Edit:

Oops, my apologies. I'm not the only one who thinks there was a communication problem.

And as for me being a Thai apologist... :o I've posted more than a few gripes about Thailand, but at least I know how to deal with sales people/repair people.

Here's a tip when you buy something that has a guarantee: find out where you're supposed to take it if it goes wrong. If it's big - like a washing machine - find out if the shop will pick it up or send a repair man or whatever.

Otherwise you'll be on here next with a post about how you had to get a taxi to pick up your washing machine in Korat and take it to Bangkok for repairs..... :D

:D OWNED

<br />
Whats that all about!
<br />It's about communicating your requirements. You asked them to fix the screen and that's what they did. You should've asked them to repair it so that it worked as new. Then, she might've said "We'll fix the screen first and then see what else is broken." Then you would've known there were more costs to come.<br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

I found this alot here, stop and ask when driving how far to the nearest gas station and youll get "far" or "not far" youve got to be real specific ie how many kilometres or how long in time BY CAR or they may well tell you how far on foot.

Could there have been some confusion between you and the girl due to language?

I think that's been well and truly established. :o

No is hasn`t.

Before you make remarks you should read my post first.

I am asking a question, this is what this (?) means in case you dont know.

<br />
Whats that all about!
<br />It's about communicating your requirements. You asked them to fix the screen and that's what they did. You should've asked them to repair it so that it worked as new. Then, she might've said "We'll fix the screen first and then see what else is broken." Then you would've known there were more costs to come.<br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

I found this alot here, stop and ask when driving how far to the nearest gas station and youll get "far" or "not far" youve got to be real specific ie how many kilometres or how long in time BY CAR or they may well tell you how far on foot.

what?

Are you any relation to JetsetBKK?

Logic?

She did use Thai logic.

YOU made a mistake by not going over every detail of the potential repair and she took advantage of you, plain and simple.

Don't feel too bad though. She would most likely do it to a Thai too.

There is no morals or integrity when doing business in Thailand.(most of the time)

Edited by PadThaiGuy