Fake Degrees

Bangkok Post 17th Jan 2008

EDUCATION / ARREST OF FOREIGN TEACHERS: Two held with fake qualifications

Briton Allan Parson and Greg Morgan Mercer, a Canadian national, at a press conference after the Police Immigration Bureau arrested them on charges of falsifying their education qualifications. They were taken into custody yesterday at a private school in the Bang Khun Thian area where they had been employed to teach English. — TAWATCHAI KEMGUMNERD

Two foreign nationals have been arrested for using fake qualification certificates to teach at a Bangkok school. Officers from the Immigration Police Bureau (IPB) apprehended Briton Allan Parson and Canadian Greg Morgan Mercer yesterday at a school in the Bang Khun Thian area where they were employed as English teachers.

They did not possess the required teaching qualifications, Lt-Gen Suwat Tumrongsiskul, the IPB commissioner, said.

Although the suspects said they didn't intend to deceive anybody and just wanted to teach Thais language skills, the fact remains that they have violated the law, said Pol Lt-Gen Suwat.

Last year alone, 6,807 foreign nationals applied for a visa to teach in Thailand, he said.

Random background checks on 1,000 of them found that 65 produced false certificates to obtain their jobs. They were now being prosecuted.

Actually very few of the criminally minded become teachers. Most of them become criminals, politicians or cops.

Good point. There certainly isn't that much money involved in teaching. Criminals, politicians and cops can make a lot more money at what they do.

I think this is a bit of an odd coincidence.

Wasn,t it a Brit and a Canadian that made the news LAST YEAR for having false docs relating to degrees? I think it was about 1 year ago? And the names are familiar. Is this not just a rehash of an old subject? Please correct me if I am wrong. :o