Strange Beliefs?

dave111223

My father in-law (Thai) has been staying in the hospital for the last few days as he has a problem with a disc in his back.

My wife went to stay with him yesterday and one of his friends had recommended some kind of fortune-telling Buddhist medicine man to him.

So this medicine man shows up and says "You'll be better in a couple of days", he then goes on to say my father in-law needs to buy a cow in order to get better. Claiming that my father in-law killed many cows in his past life; kind of strange as he doesn't eat any meat except fish.

The cow costs 12,000 baht and the medicine man asks for the cash, he will go buy a cow from a slaughter house and then they can do a ceremony on Friday and give the cow to a farmer; who will not kill it.

At this point my father in-law is convinced that this 12,000 baht cow is the way to go, but my wife tries to convince him that maybe he should at least wait and pay the cash on the day that they actually buy the cow.

Medicine man seems put out that my wife doesn't trust him; and then proceeds to do some fortune telling; to prove his powers.

So he says the following for my wifes fortune:

1) She is not yet married, and her current boyfriend will not last very long

She is married

2) She is not yet 25

She's almost 26

3) She will have a serious accident 15 days after her 25th birthday, so she should go ahead and book the hospital now (i'm not joking)

She's already had her 25th birthday without any accidents

4) She will marry a governor

I am not a governor

.. and the false predictions go on and on, but my wife just listens on, without "breaking his face".

He then says that in the past she said some bad things behind her father's back, so she should also come to the ceremony with some flowers and apologize to her father; in some kind of ceremonial way. (she never actually said bad things about her father)

My wife then asks her father, "Do you think David (me) should come to the ceremony", and the medicine man asks "Who's David", and my wife tells him that i'm her husband.

The medicine man then asks why the name doesn't sound Thai, and if i am a foreigner. He then explains that he was unable to detect me because i am a foreigner and thus "too far away".

But not conceding anything he goes on to state that we will either break up or one of us will die soon anyways. And that my wife should definitely book that hospital room for her 25th birthday; and my wife decided to tell him that she is already 25.

He did not have any response for this so just changed the subject.

But here's the kicker; my father in-law still wants to go ahead with the cow ceremony, plus gave the guy 5,000 for his hospital consultation.

I reckon all said and done this guy will probably take my father in-law for over 20,000 baht. No doubt the whole cow thing is a scam, buy it from the slaughter house for 12,000...sell it back tomorrow for 10,000 and everyone is happy.

I mean even in you believe in mystical healers and such, why would you believe in a guy who just told you a fortune which was total wrong on every point?

I'm surprised your father-in-law isn't feeling better yet. Laughing is the best medicine and I can't stop laughing after reading this. Seriously, if your father-in-law believes this kind of crap, he's better off in a (mental?) hospital. I don't mean that in a bad way, don't get me wrong. The medicine man is just too funny.

Kick him out and get your father in a better hospital from that money, if they can't help him in the current one.

Or tell him your farang medicine man told you to go save a hamster from the Chatuchak Market for 200 Baht, it'll have the same effect as the 12,000 Baht cow.

I can't stop laughing now, seriously.

:o

Go to the nearest temple and ask a monk (preferably a senior one) and ask him to come and give a "dhamma talk" to your father- in -law. This may help him to "let go" and calm his mind enough for him to get better..Although it may not work, it's still worth a try.

Just offer a donation to the monk (it doesn't have to be much) and offer to pay for his taxi (songtaew) or give him a lift yourself if possible.

Try and keep fortune tellers (mor doo) at arms length. They offer no real answers other than fanciful crap that may or may not help..

Again, the decision is yours.

That's what i would try and do.

Good luck to him and you also.

Relax and the right answer will (or should) appear. :o

<br />My father in-law (Thai) has been staying in the hospital for the last few days as he has a problem with a disc in his back.<br /><br />My wife went to stay with him yesterday and one of his friends had recommended some kind of fortune-telling Buddhist medicine man to him.<br />So this medicine man shows up and says "You'll be better in a couple of days", he then goes on to say my father in-law needs to buy a cow in order to get better. Claiming that my father in-law killed many cows in his past life; kind of strange as he doesn't eat any meat except fish.<br />The cow costs 12,000 baht and the medicine man asks for the cash, he will go buy a cow from a slaughter house and then they can do a ceremony on Friday and give the cow to a farmer; who will not kill it.<br /><br />At this point my father in-law is convinced that this 12,000 baht cow is the way to go, but my wife tries to convince him that maybe he should at least wait and pay the cash on the day that they actually buy the cow.<br /><br />Medicine man seems put out that my wife doesn't trust him; and then proceeds to do some fortune telling; to prove his powers.<br />So he says the following for my wifes fortune:<br /><br />1) She is not yet married, and her current boyfriend will not last very long<br /><b>She is married</b><br /><br />2) She is not yet 25<br /><b>She's almost 26</b><br /><br />3) She will have a serious accident 15 days after her 25th birthday, so she should go ahead and book the hospital now (i'm not joking)<br /><b>She's already had her 25th birthday without any accidents</b><br /><br />4) She will marry a governor<br /><b>I am not a governor</b><br /><br />.. and the false predictions go on and on, but my wife just listens on, without "breaking his face".<br /><br />He then says that in the past she said some bad things behind her father's back, so she should also come to the ceremony with some flowers and apologize to her father; in some kind of ceremonial way. (she never actually said bad things about her father)<br /><br />My wife then asks her father, "Do you think David (me) should come to the ceremony", and the medicine man asks "Who's David", and my wife tells him that i'm her husband.<br />The medicine man then asks why the name doesn't sound Thai, and if i am a foreigner. He then explains that he was unable to detect me because i am a foreigner and thus "too far away".<br /><br />But not conceding anything he goes on to state that we will either break up or one of us will die soon anyways. And that my wife should definitely book that hospital room for her 25th birthday; and my wife decided to tell him that she is already 25.<br />He did not have any response for this so just changed the subject. <br /><br />But here's the kicker; my father in-law still wants to go ahead with the cow ceremony, plus gave the guy 5,000 for his hospital consultation.<br />I reckon all said and done this guy will probably take my father in-law for over 20,000 baht. No doubt the whole cow thing is a scam, buy it from the slaughter house for 12,000...sell it back tomorrow for 10,000 and everyone is happy.<br /><br />I mean even in you believe in mystical healers and such, why would you believe in a guy who just told you a fortune which was total wrong on every point?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I think it tells you quite a lot! The first is in any predictions of the future apart from the Buddhist Guy's increasing "mysterious" wealth, Thais really should say more and not keep face.