"you Can Stay In Thailand For $3 A Night"

DerekP

I took a look at the pinned list of bungalows/hotels. It seems the cheapest room is 200 baht, which is about $6.50 a night; not in bangkok.

I've heard that you can live in Thailand for $3 a night. Is that true? If so, where do I find these places? Are any of these places in Bangkok?

Cheers =)

I took a look at the pinned list of bungalows/hotels. It seems the cheapest room is 200 baht, which is about $6.50 a night; not in bangkok.

I've heard that you can live in Thailand for $3 a night. Is that true? If so, where do I find these places? Are any of these places in Bangkok?

Cheers =)

I'd give Bangkok a miss. Try Cambodia...............................Please :o

I'm sure I will, but Thailand comes first on my list of adventures :o

So would 350 baht/$10 a night be reasonable for Bangkok? Anywhere with a bed would do.

Suggest you punch the immigration guy when you finally get to the head of the queue at the airport.

That would sort out your problem, and (if you can report back on the forum), at the same time give a great deal of (vicarious) satisfaction to some of our members :D

I'm sure I will, but Thailand comes first on my list of adventures :D

So would 350 baht/$10 a night be reasonable for Bangkok? Anywhere with a bed would do.

Suggest you punch the immigration guy when you finally get to the head of the queue at the airport.

That would sort out your problem, and (if you can report back on the forum), at the same time give a great deal of (vicarious) satisfaction to some of our members :D

oh dear, no aircon in the hot season, cockroaches and the smell of urine... do yourself a favour mate if you cant put together at least as a bare minimum a thousand bht a night for your stay in BKK then stay home at mums :o

In an Isaan Village near Khon Kaen I rented a room for 800 Baht a month while I was waiting for my house to be built. Admittedly I had to buy a bed and have a Farang toilet fitted but that is $25 a month.

Edited by Lite Beer

In an Isaan Village near Khon Kaen I rented a room for 800 Baht a month while I was waiting for my house to be built. Admittedly I had to buy a bed and have a Farang toilet fitted but that is $25 a month.

That's quite neat and suits the OP well I think. Was it including electricity and running water ?

Does it have a swimming pool in the back yard ?

LaoPo :o

If you can't afford 25k a month whilst poverty packing then you should just stay home and rent some movies. Sure locals can do it for less, even some farang, but they rent by the month, and pay far less for almost everything than a n00b will be able to get things for

I'm sure I will, but Thailand comes first on my list of adventures :D

oh dear, no aircon in the hot season, cockroaches and the smell of urine... do yourself a favour mate if you cant put together at least as a bare minimum a thousand bht a night for your stay in BKK then stay home at mums :o

While I appreciate the help and information, that last bit was offensive and unnecessary.

1000 bht a night? That's more expensive than San Francisco. (30,000 Baht a month, 31/baht = 1 USD, that's almost $1000. I can get a room in SF for $800.)

I'm not looking for a hotel; I'm looking for a room. I'm asking for tips on budget travel, not "Have money or screw off."

Edited by DerekP

mate, don't let the SS (Secure 'n Superior) members get to you on this forum.

you would be better off looking at lonelyplanet forums (thorntree).

you can get a tiny fan room in bangkok for 200B a night, more or less.

try the khao San rd of course, but its going upmarket.

and try around Soi Nam Duphlee , in the Sathorn Rd, Rama IV corner area.

good luck, it can be done and be enjoyable as well.

one of the best times i had in thailand (a while ago) was in 100B a night GH in Nong Khai.

simplicity is sometimes the best.

again a total budget of 25k a month is not excessive and I know it is not what you want to hear but if you can't afford that little then you are not going to be in BKK or the islands. You probably could do it up in isaan. But really .. check out the posters in here and get some idea of who they are then decide if they are credible :o

I do not think you find anything price range anymore five years ago sure your best bet will be Khao San road but not on the main street there are lots of alley ways and cheap guest houses and at your price range you will most likely have to share a room do not expect it to be enjoyable you get a lot of weirdos and drugaddicts :o

Hey Highlander -

Thanks for the tip. I think I'll check out Thailand for 3 months, and then since I'm going to have to border run anyway, I'll hop over to Laos and spend some time there before I hop back.

I'm actually half Thai, and I want to learn to speak Thai as well as enjoy Thailand. (As well as learn Salsa and get my scuba diving certificate.) But now that you've mentioned it, I'll definitely check out Laos as well =)

Cheers,

- Derek

Derek, one of the cheapest ways to travel Thailand is to 'Homestay' I'm sure you can Google it. It's usually 100 baht or so a night and you can have the Mum of the house prepare you meals for about 150 baht a day. It's an interesting way to experience real Thai life. usually homestays are in a 'normal' Thai family home and you sleep in their house. Good luck at finding your roots :o

Forgot to say that there are a lot of volunteering opps too in Thailand, you'l have to trawl thru them to find one that you don't have to pay for. I wouldn't trust the ones who ask you to come up with money in exchange for volunteering.

That's quite neat and suits the OP well I think. Was it including electricity and running water ?

LaoPo :o

Electric 200 Baht a month and running water every time it rained.

I actually quite enjoyed it. Maybe because I knew it was only for 3 months. Food in the local market really cheap. 3 big bottles of Chang beer 100 Baht from the local shop.

I also rented the room next door to put the motorbike in.

LaoPo :D

I actually quite enjoyed it. Maybe because I knew it was only for 3 months. Food in the local market really cheap. 3 big bottles of Chang beer 100 Baht from the local shop.

I couldn't do it. Well done. :o

one of the best times i had in thailand (a while ago) was in 100B a night GH in Nong Khai.

He is a running 2 consectuive threads. In the other he wants to live in the forest ,quite entertaining stuff

Wow ;D Indeed, for 3 months it sounds like a blast.

Running water every time it rained :o

He is a running 2 consectuive threads. In the other he wants to live in the forest ,quite entertaining stuff

Yes, I am running 2 consecutive threads. If I'm told by a moderator that that's against the rules, I'll gladly apologize for it.

Yes, I do want to live in a forest for a month. I think it'll be a blast to live off the land and just be in nature for a while.

And again, that last part was offensive and unnecessary.

Running water every time it rained :D

Yes, I am running 2 consecutive threads. If I'm told by a moderator that that's against the rules, I'll gladly apologize for it.

Yes, I do want to live in a forest for a month. I think it'll be a blast to live off the land and just be in nature for a while.

Offensive in what way ? never said dual posting was illegal and I said it was entertaining. As a matter of fact if you read your other thread I actually encorage you to go live in the forest. Just a warning the snakes here are real big :o

I wonder what he is on. :o

Running water every time it rained :D

Offensive in what way ? never said dual posting was illegal and I said it was entertaining. As a matter of fact if you read your other thread I actually encorage you to go live in the forest. Just a warning the snakes here are real big :D

'Big Snake[/sub] date='2008-03-11 11:18:29' post='1865465']

WOW!! talking about dirt cheap. :D:D:D

See I was right heres a big snake and only just mentioned it :o

Dont listen to any of them... really... the places in bangkok you can find for 100 baht are just fine.. but more like a dorm or hostel with a room with like 10 beds.. clean and safe.. I have seen this myself. My student friend that came out and wanted to do things on her own stayed there no problem. Met some very down to earth people. In Chiang Mai where I live there are many places for 3 dollars or 100 baht a night... some nicer than others.. and of course dorm or hostel feel places for as little as 50 baht a night... what I tell people when they come here.. you create your own Thailand... with bucks or with very few. If you are used to living with little soaps and cable tv.. you can still get places like this for 200-300 a night... anyway enjoy!!!