Bbq Sandwich King

Bangkok Post - Friday, March 7, 2000

EATING OUT - Truly American

New barbecue joint offers some of the best from Uncle Sam

by VANNIYA SRIANGURA

I'm a big fan of country-style American food: chilli dogs, buffalo wings, Sloppy Joes and barbecue ribs - things like that. So when I was told about a new American barbecue venture that had the best barbecue sandwich in town, I was more than enthusiastic to check the place out. But as soon as I pulled over into its parking lot I was less than thrilled. The restaurant I was looking for, BBQ Sandwich King, looked like a small coffee shop hidden in a tacky suburban shopping plaza. Frankly speaking, it was a bit disappointing after a long drive from downtown.

Of course, as a food writer, the flavour experienced by your palate should matter more than your first impressions of a place. And I'm glad that I finally decided to get out of my car and take a seat at this Nonthaburi eatery. Other than the pleasant smell of hickory smoke that filled the air and the huge portions of food served later on, as we stepped in to the place, nothing about the setting reminded me of Uncle Sam. The wooden tables and benches were on the small side, and there were none of those big napkins that you can tie around your neck. Instead, on each table there was a roll of paper towels.

The succulent and tasty barbecue pork ribs. Mini chicken drumsticks with barbecue sauce. It may look like a noodle joint, but you can find some of the best American fare in town here. Smoked pork loin sandwich with Texas Twister relish and tater tots.

The owner, Mark Grygiel, is in charge of the kitchen. Slim and somewhat reserved, Grygiel didn't seem like a typical American guy, especially one who works in the food business - I mean those jolly guys with big bellies who often wink while talking to you. Grygiel was born in Chicago but moved to Texas to study at the University of Texas at Austin. During his years in the Lone Star state, he came across several fantastic sandwich shops, especially the country-style barbecue joints in a small town called Lockhart, which is commonly referred to as the Barbecue Capital of Texas.

At his restaurant Grygiel wants to focus on the quality and the pure savour of his barbecue rather than present a fancy collection of American fare. So, his menu is straightforward and fairly limited. There's nothing on offer but a variety of hearty barbecue dishes. You can't miss his signature BBQ porkloin sandwich with tater tots (159 baht). Thick slices of smoked, dry-rubbed pork loin glazed with the restaurant's homemade barbecue sauce arrived on a toasted buttered bun with the sweet and tangy Texas Twister relish. The perfectly cooked pork, aromatic and succulent, was among the most delicious barbecued meat I've had. While the thick but not too honey-ish barbecue sauce was tasty, with a charming hint of spiciness.

But if pork isn't your favourite, there's a choice of chicken breast available. And you can also have the hefty sandwich North Carolina style, with creamy coleslaw instead of the relish.

The next order, smokin' mini-drumsticks (79 baht) offered five super plump drumsticks perfectly glazed with the same barbecue sauce. The juicy chicken drumsticks were served with carrot sticks and you can always ask for the ranch dipping if you'd like. With such premium quality and delicious taste, not to mention an inexpensive price tag, the dish was real value for money.

The arrival of the barbecued pork ribs (229 baht) brought on a bout of nostalgia, recalling the time when I was dining in a restaurant in Colorado. The portion was huge! And we couldn't help but say: "This is truly American!" Several pieces of succulent pork rib came glazed with barbecue sauce and accompanied by crispy tater tots. It took three of us to finish this super delicious offering that was designed for one. It was a gastronomically joyful moment. Other than not expecting too much from the atmosphere, my only other suggestion here is that you should use your hands and never mind the sauce stains on your fingers and cheeks.

We also sampled that week's special - giant chicken quesadilla (149 baht). Made with natural Cheddar cheese, it was simply delicious. We left without trying any of the desserts, since the selection of sweets available at the time were only those from a mass production bakery. I suggested that Grygiel add milkshakes to his drinks list, which I really hope that he has taken it into consideration. One great gastronomic journey it proved. The food was marvellous and the prices were very reasonable. I saw Grygiel's ambition and dedication, and other than spreading the good news to other barbecue fans, I can only wish him all the best.

To get there, take the second stage expressway northbound and exit on Ngam Wong Wan Road. Keep straight until you hit Tiwanon Road where you turn right. A few kilometres later turn right again into Samakkee Road. The restaurant is about 300 metres down the street on your right near Samakkee badminton court within a small plaza. Parking is plentiful.

After seeing this review in Friday's Bangkok Post, the missus and I went seek out this place. I can vouch the quality the reviewer talks about. It was truly first rate, and unexpected for such a little, out of the way shop. I took some take out home with me, and it was great the day after as well!

BBQ Sandwich King

78 Samakhee Road, Thasai Sub-district

Muang Nonthaburi, Nonthaburi, 11000

T - 02-952-4075

bbqsandwichking.co.th

Highly recommend them if you are in the area!

JB

• 3 months later...

Just a follow up. Got a nice note from the owner, about my previous post. Nice to have him take the time out to do that, and we went back again. Food was spot on terrific, and should be a must have for people with a BBQ fetish ( lol). Now if I could convince him to expand to Salaya..

• 1 month later...

Decided to take the wife up North yest & try their food. I ordered the sliced pork sandwich. The smokey flavor was amazing.

The small Sandwich shop is really fitted out nicely. I am from North Texas & I can tell you Mark is very authentic. Black pepper, paper towels on rolls - even Disenfectant hand wash on every table.

The shop is decorated with a lot of Texas memorabilia. Latest newspaper - free wi-fi - what's not to like?

Sadly their deep fat fryer was broken. I was totally looking forward to the tater tots. I had the coleslaw instead - which is not on the menu. I knew about it from reading here.

Wife had the "mini-drumsticks" which was 6 wings. They were great. We took an order of ribs home for later.

I will definately be going back - to try their cheeseburger. Hope to meet Mark then.

The standout feature of his food is the smoke. I guess he is bringing in hickory wood. The smoking is spot on. Worth the drive.

btw. I came in from Nam Wan Win road. Don't take the first flyover. Stay left & make a turn (right) at the lights under the flyover. Head North to the second set of red lights. Turn right onto Samakee & it's a strones throw farther.

Thanks Mark. I'll be back for sure.

Tonight it was time to scarf the order of ribs I brought home from BBQ Sandwich King.

Only one word to describe this.

WOW.

Cooked to perfection (charred outside, pink inside) yet again the standout feature was the smokey flavor. I ate all 6 ribs - the meat was excellent ditto the sauce. I found a tiny hint of prick pon - which I adore in dishes like this.

Tater tots were great. So Thanks again to Mark I will be coming back.

Ribs are the ONE dish that every bar & restaurant in LoS does.

These are the best I've tasted so far. The bar is set extremely high.

Edited by dotcom

I have told Mark I will be going up there once a week to stock up on ribs. Yum Yum.

This week the special was Carolina Rib Sandwich. I bought one of those to take home & 2 orders of ribs.

At the shop I decided to go for the Metro Burger. WOW. I would nominate this as the best burger in Bangkok.

Mark allowed us to sample his excellent homemade beans. That with the coleslaw make outstanding side dishes; not to forget the included tater tots.

Do yourself a favor if you like homemade American food. Head on out to Bar-B-Q Sandwich King. Delisch.

Bangkok Post - Friday, March 7, 2000

EATING OUT - Truly American

New barbecue joint offers some of the best from Uncle Sam

by VANNIYA SRIANGURA

I'm a big fan of country-style American food: chilli dogs, buffalo wings, Sloppy Joes and barbecue ribs - things like that. So when I was told about a new American barbecue venture that had the best barbecue sandwich in town, I was more than enthusiastic to check the place out. But as soon as I pulled over into its parking lot I was less than thrilled. The restaurant I was looking for, BBQ Sandwich King, looked like a small coffee shop hidden in a tacky suburban shopping plaza. Frankly speaking, it was a bit disappointing after a long drive from downtown.

Of course, as a food writer, the flavour experienced by your palate should matter more than your first impressions of a place. And I'm glad that I finally decided to get out of my car and take a seat at this Nonthaburi eatery. Other than the pleasant smell of hickory smoke that filled the air and the huge portions of food served later on, as we stepped in to the place, nothing about the setting reminded me of Uncle Sam. The wooden tables and benches were on the small side, and there were none of those big napkins that you can tie around your neck. Instead, on each table there was a roll of paper towels.

The succulent and tasty barbecue pork ribs. Mini chicken drumsticks with barbecue sauce. It may look like a noodle joint, but you can find some of the best American fare in town here. Smoked pork loin sandwich with Texas Twister relish and tater tots.

The owner, Mark Grygiel, is in charge of the kitchen. Slim and somewhat reserved, Grygiel didn't seem like a typical American guy, especially one who works in the food business - I mean those jolly guys with big bellies who often wink while talking to you. Grygiel was born in Chicago but moved to Texas to study at the University of Texas at Austin. During his years in the Lone Star state, he came across several fantastic sandwich shops, especially the country-style barbecue joints in a small town called Lockhart, which is commonly referred to as the Barbecue Capital of Texas.

Makes me miss the Salt Lick. Will definitely make time for a drive out there next time I'm 'home.'

:o

Made the drive out there today. Was well worth the trip. We had small order of ribs, coleslaw and the pork loin sandwich. By far one of the best if not best barbeque ive had in thailand. I will be going back again soon. Had a chance to meet mark, really nice guy and great shop. Thanks again mark, look forward to trying more stuff next time.

Will & Noo

Even though the Mrs family lives up that way< I don't get there as often as I probably should :D:o , it's too bad that if this place is as good as it sounds why wouldn't they consider opening something up in the CBD where the majority of farangs live?

Dotcom, if you don't mind, just bring back a load of those ribs and I will come by and pick them up. We can call you deliverydotcom or something seeing as Chefsxp wont bring em.

• 3 weeks later...
Even though the Mrs family lives up that way< I don't get there as often as I probably should :D:o , it's too bad that if this place is as good as it sounds why wouldn't they consider opening something up in the CBD where the majority of farangs live?

Dotcom, if you don't mind, just bring back a load of those ribs and I will come by and pick them up. We can call you deliverydotcom or something seeing as Chefsxp wont bring em.

hi bkkjames:

my biz plan's strategy was to open outside the big mango to fill a niche market and to source locations with low overheads.

this is a brand new food and beverage concept and this was the test location. bbq sandwich king works. we are less than one year old and don't know exaclty what the future holds for us here in thailand, but we have an excellent f&b concept to run with.

i think you should just come out here and give us a shot: <snip>

regards/mark

Edited by raro
URL removed

hi bkkjames:

my biz plan's strategy was to open outside the big mango to fill a niche market and to source locations with low overheads.

this is a brand new food and beverage concept and this was the test location. bbq sandwich king works. we are less than one year old and don't know exaclty what the future holds for us here in thailand, but we have an excellent f&b concept to run with.

i think you should just come out here and give us a shot: www.bbqsandwichking.co.th

regards/mark

Hi Mark:

Thanks for the update. From what I have read on here by others sounds like you got a winner. Can you say franchise?

I would love to come out and eat there but I avoid Nontaburi as much as possible because that's where the outlaws live. May try to sneak over your way in the next week or two sans the mrs.

Cheers

Jame

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I ordered from ChefsXP today, the Tex Mex Smoked Chicken Quesadillas and the Signature BBQ Smoked Chicken breast sandwich with tater tots.

first me and my mate tucked into the Quesadillas, we both thought it was awesome, great smoky flavour. the sauce was great. then we unwrapped the Signature Sandwich. why oh why do they use frozen tata tots from Siam foods? truly awful! and the Sandwich sounds great on the menu, I ordered it because it says its a signature dish. it was in fact a Burger bun with sesame seeds on the top with lots of raw onion, the chicken inside tasted good though. the rest of it I did not like though.

I guess that is how its supposed to be, but it was not to my liking.

I will try and order other things on the menu though and I will for sure order the quesadillas again as they were the best I have tasted.

The best sandwiches in Thailand, real smoked meats, great food and top quality always

this is because he has worked hard to make sure it meets US standards and keeps it that way.

the trouble with a delivery service should never be put on maker of food , they have caused him trouble , not the foods fault how it got to you , the services .

Nothing to do with the delivery, it was the restaurant that made the sandwich. Raw onion in a burger bun! Don't know how you can call that a sandwich. Must be an American thing!

The smoked meat was good, though I will not order the signature dish again as I didn't like the rest of it.

For me a sandwich starts with good bread and good filling, not a burger bun and raw onion that overpowers the taste of the meat!

Can't blame the delivery!

Edited by onnut