Car Passport

So as I am driving to Laos at the weekend and the Transport office in Nong Khai is closed at the weekends I went to the transport office in Phuket to get the "car passport" that I will need to export the car from Thailand to Laos and the re import it 7 days later when we come back.

This would seem to be a very straightforward thing to organise in Nong Khai but the staff at the office in Phuket were lost, in the end it involved a supervisor looking through an instruction booklet to see what they were meant to issue.

So apparently I am getting an official translation into english of the registration book of the car. Is this actually what the "car passport" that I need to get is or am I being issued with the wrong thing? As we arrive on Sat night I dont really want to have to hang around until Mon to wait for the office to open in Nong Khai if Phuket have issued me the wrong papers

Thanks for any help

I had already given the blue book to the transport department.

Anyway I returned this morning to collect the "translation" as they called it and all was well :o

Seems that the main stumbling block was that I said that i needed a car passport as I would be taking the car out of Thailand and this confused them.

What it is actually called is an International Transport Permit. SO i now have one for the car, its valid for just over six months and seems to be extendable so that good.

They also gave me a 5 baht refund as they had overcharged me :D

post-29465-1205292136_thumb.jpg

I had already given the blue book to the transport department.

What it is actually called is an International Transport Permit. SO i now have one for the car, its valid for just over six months and seems to be extendable so that good.

Where did you get it from?

Is each page divided into 3 sections?

I know you need a passport to get into Laos, but I've never heard of an automobile passport. So driving into Laos isn't like driving from Texas to Mexico afterall. :o

they even stamp the car passport with the same stamps as you get in your real passport!

Here are a bunch of instructions to go by in an old post

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;#entry1571652