Does He Deserve A Jail Sentence?

Neeranam

Today, the 19 year old guy, who got my 17 year old sister-in-law pregnant, started a 6 month jail sentence.

He was given about 6 months to find the cash asked for but couldn't, or rather refused to find it. His family are pretty wealthy.

Happy to say that the judge ordered his father to pay a monthly allowance for the baby too.

I can't help feeling a little sory for the guy - jail is a bit harsh I think. My father in law wanted worse!

They had sex by mutual consent but she wsa a schoolgirl.

If he comes up with the cash, he gets out of jail. I have a feeling that they wil find the money somewhere.

There was a big legal battle involving "poo yai" from both sides trying to influence the judge.

Any views?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummm it doesn't say where you are (and yes that matters) but apparently the loss of face demanded something real be done.

Face it the guy knocked up the chick, then didn't marry her or offer sinsot, making her 'damaged goods' publicly if they are in any small town or if they are influential enough to be known on sight in any larger area.

Jail? not for the initial crime but for contempt of court? OK that seems reasonable

If he wasn't using protection, he was irresponsible.

But he doesn't deserve jail - It's their right (not legally speaking) to have sex whenever they want.

We are discussing Thailand here .... not back home :o

Today, the 19 year old guy, who got my 17 year old sister-in-law pregnant, started a 6 month jail sentence.

He was given about 6 months to find the cash asked for

What exactly was this cash for? And who asked for it? And what was it supposed to remedy :o

Edited by JetsetBkk

I know that some people may have missed out on the fact that at least publicly. Thailand is a conservative place:) I would assume the cash would be to replace the sinsot and the charge something approximating custodial interference (since by Thai standards this was not statutory rape)

I know that some people may have missed out on the fact that at least publicly. Thailand is a conservative place:) I would assume the cash would be to replace the sinsot and the charge something approximating custodial interference (since by Thai standards this was not statutory rape)

Yes, Thailand can be very conservative and also mercenary. What does the father say to his daughter?: "Well, you're spoilt goods now. I can't get a decent sin sot for you in the future, so I'll make your boyfriend pay up." How caring! :o Or is this all to do with that damned 'face' again?

And it takes two to tango.

Yes, Thailand can be very conservative and also mercenary. What does the father say to his daughter?: "Well, you're spoilt goods now. I can't get a decent sin sot for you in the future, so I'll make your boyfriend pay up." How caring! :o Or is this all to do with that damned 'face' again?

And it takes two to tango.

it could be about sinsot .. it could be about face .. or it could simply be about makinhg sure the kid is taken care of :D It takes 2 to tango but since the pop didn't step up and marry her , only she has to pay and he walks away unless the courts rightly make him pay up.

i don't think he is a "scumbag". these kids needs sex education and it's lacking in thailand.

I'm inclined to agree--my 14 year old step-daughter was 'de-flowered' consensually by her 19 year old boyfriend about 14 months ago--my ex-wife and family visited boyfriends parents and, eventually, they agreed to pay some cash- a pittance by the way but they are a poor rice-farming family, and boyfriend+stepdaughter got married within a month [ she was already 3 months when she discovered--she was somewhat naiive about her monthly cycle]-they are now living for free in a house my ex-wife and I bought for them--they had a 'falling out' with his parents-- and baby is doing fine--but what a waste--the poor girl can't return to her schooling as such and is going to start part time education soon [ weekends as far as I'm aware] and they are poorer than ever--this shit has been going on for centuries, not just in Asia, when will we all wake up--the Human Race, that is.We, the so-called civilised westerners, can rant and rave as much as we like but nothing changes--same shit happens in UK, America, Europe etc...

As far as I could gather, whatever the 'official' reason was, the cash was to avoid police involvement--i.e. no pay up=collar felt.

Edited by haybilly

Well, presumably you would have put a stop to your 14 y/o daughter having a 19 y/o boyfriend in the first place TheDon.

That wouldnt be a problem as my daughter wont be allowed out of the house until she is 25.

>We are discussing Thailand here .... not back home

I think this is one of the reasons that this is still Thailand and not "back home", the Thai legal system that jailed him will be wanting to protect Thailand's current culture system least is fall into disrepair like so many European countries, America has by allowing such liberal sex - child birth - free love with no comeback.

It can be easily argued that free influx of immigration and lowered moral values has screwed up "back home" - Thailand can see the news stories of the West and see the cause.

A few weeks ago there was a report of children throwing stones at a train near Pattaya, the police were called - they tracked the children down and the parents supported the punishments dished out. the children in my mind will probably be punished again by the parents for causing the police attention. The children have seen that the crime created a legal response. I would suggest in the west (any country) the first police call would be met with the response, "too busy - call the railroad company". the children would go unpunished and learn that they can do anything as the police don't care. The parents would complain about police harassment should they respond and be governed by "greater issues" like race relations or local policing issues.

Maybe it is wrong to say that this is an example for others - but if the sex education message is wear a condom or go to jail, maybe his jail time will do some good in another teenager's life?

Well, presumably you would have put a stop to your 14 y/o daughter having a 19 y/o boyfriend in the first place TheDon.

I would be grateful to know how you would do that--like another poster says by keeping them in the house 24/7--incidentally this is my step daughter --the daughter of my ex-wife--we are not together; Thai kids go pretty much were they want--she was quite used to getting beatings from her mother and this didn't stop her.

....let me look out of the window - I'll tell you...

Your point is ?

Yes it goes on ALL the time - there is little comeback - clearly there is more to this case than a simple one girl getting knocked up by her boyfriend.

Why was this case treated differently ?

Why was he used as an example ?

He was given about 6 months to find the cash asked for but couldn't, or rather refused to find it. His family are pretty wealthy.

Happy to say that the judge ordered his father to pay a monthly allowance for the baby too.

I can't help feeling a little sory for the guy - jail is a bit harsh I think. My father in law wanted worse!

They had sex by mutual consent but she wsa a schoolgirl.

If he comes up with the cash, he gets out of jail. I have a feeling that they wil find the money somewhere.

There was a big legal battle involving "poo yai" from both sides trying to influence the judge.

Any views?

At least he was not sentenced for a life time marriage.. :o

In reality unless she was raped, which apparently she wasnt, she shares half the responsibility for the act and use of contraceptives, or do we still live in a world where women have no responsibilities because their brains are too small or they are mentally weak or however its justified?

Sounds like 6 of one and half a dozen of the other to me. The girl agreed to have sex with him, at 17 yrs old !!! Its the girls responsibility to use contraceptives.. she should have taken the pill or made him use a condom. poor lad. got Jail ?? wow.

No, he doesn't deserve jail.

He deserves a swift kick in the butt for failing to carry (or go fetch) morning after pills. Or condoms, of course.

It was the girl's choice to have the baby, so I don't see why this would require any child support payments. Well perhaps he could have paid to sew her back up afterwards. Good as new.