Does He Deserve A Jail Sentence?

Neeranam

She has a life sentence caring for a baby .. he walks free. He should pay and pay dearly :o

Some people love kids, jd! :D My g/f's mum wants me to give her one (not hers, but from my g/f) because she wants another baby to look after.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Australia

Male 17 + Female 17 + sex + caught = Female raped the male and may be in jail as the male is still underage

Wrong TheDon

M/F M/M F/F

Australia ACT 16 16 16

Australia NSW & Norfolk Is. 16 16 16

Australia NT 16 16 16

Australia Queensland1 16/18 18 16

Australia SA 17 17 17

Australia Tasmania 17 17 17

Australia Victoria 16 16 16

Australia WA 16 16 16

This info from HERE!

Laws must of changed.

In Australia

Male 17 + Female 17 + sex + caught = Female raped the male and may be in jail as the male is still underage

Wrong TheDon

M/F M/M F/F

Australia ACT 16 16 16

Australia NT 16 16 16

Australia SA 17 17 17

Australia WA 16 16 16

This info from HERE!

Laws must of changed.

"Last updated February 29, 2008"

http://www.avert.org/aofconsent.htm

LaoPo

She has a life sentence caring for a baby .. he walks free. He should pay and pay dearly :o

Some people love kids, jd! :D My g/f's mum wants me to give her one (not hers, but from my g/f) because she wants another baby to look after.

"My G/F's Mum wants me to give her one"--are you from U.K.--I think not as this could be taken the wrong way if said in England--only joking,btw.

In reality unless she was raped, which apparently she wasnt, she shares half the responsibility for the act and use of contraceptives, or do we still live in a world where women have no responsibilities because their brains are too small or they are mentally weak or however its justified?

who says she has to care for the baby, i would love to see the look on laughing boys face, if on delivery day the mother drops the little bundle of joy off at the proud fathers house, and wishes him and his family all the best with rearing the new born.

not dearly, he should pay his due.

In Australia

Wrong TheDon

M/F M/M F/F

Australia ACT 16 16 16

Australia NT 16 16 16

Australia SA 17 17 17

Australia WA 16 16 16

This info from HERE!

Laws must of changed.

Changed or not, there is no way the scenario you outlined initially would lead to either a charge, or jail.

In Australia

Wrong TheDon

M/F M/M F/F

Australia ACT 16 16 16

Australia NT 16 16 16

Australia SA 17 17 17

Australia WA 16 16 16

This info from HERE!

Laws must of changed.

"Last updated February 29, 2008"

http://www.avert.org/aofconsent.htm

LaoPo

I find the below bazaar in your link

In Queensland, the legal age of consent for anal intercourse is 18 (regardless of gender), while for vaginal intercourse it is 16.

These kind of threads bring me close to despair.

19 yr old has sex with his 17 yr old girlfriend. So what !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is this even a story?

Mind you he sounds a bit thick. I mean if you are offered the chance to pay a pittance or jail ... well need i spell it out .?

These kind of threads bring me close to despair.

19 yr old has sex with his 17 yr old girlfriend. So what !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is this even a story?

Mind you he sounds a bit thick. I mean if you are offered the chance to pay a pittance or jail ... well need i spell it out .?

i agree with you................if sex was a mutual thing......infact probably her fault more as shes the one that can get pregnant(she did, i know) so she should have made sure of contraception.

maybe the girls father was greedy and asking for too much money so maybe went to jail on principal especially if there had been anomosity

17 years old and 19 years old is not a big age difference...and if it was consensual, I also dont see why its such a big deal.

Society has so many crazy rules. I am NOT saying I agree with a 14 year old having sex with a 19 year old...but im sure many many many years ago that would have been "normal." Girls as young as 13 used to get married and have kids by the time they were that age. Personally, I am glad its not like that anymore...(though some places in the world are still like that) but its just strange/interesting to see how societies norms and views change so much as time goes on.

Edited by isabelle17

I know that some people may have missed out on the fact that at least publicly. Thailand is a conservative place:) I would assume the cash would be to replace the sinsot and the charge something approximating custodial interference (since by Thai standards this was not statutory rape)

Yeah, sure. Conservative but they fuc_k# like rabbits. :D

Thousands get pregnant, then comes a farang who marries them :o

I hardly know a farang who's wife/gf has not been impregnated by a privious thai man, I don't get this :D

I don't think he deserves jailtime, maybe some re education would be better.

I think the deal is he is not being punished for getting her pregnant, my guess is he is refusing to meet a court judgement requirement previously issued or set by the presiding judge. ie. you pay up for parental costs of birth + allimony, or you go to jail, at the moment it looks like he doesnt want to pay........ scumbag, yes, irrisponsible, yes, has he learnt his lesson, we hope, will other 19 yr olds continue to have sex with 17 yr olds............ YOU BET.

2nd attempt at posting a reply.

I think the constant commenting on their ages is totally pointless.

1. They are both of legal age. Research tells me that the age of consent is 15 years and as low as 13 years with parental consent (please correct me if this is out of date).

2. Two years between them? How many years between you and your partner/spouse, previous sex partners or your mother and father?

The contraception issue is surely a joint responsibility but in the girl's greater interest to ensure that she doesn't fall pregnant. After all, if the boy backs out, as is often the case in any society, it will be her or, more uniquely to Thailand, her mother who will have to take care of the child.

How many teenage couples even think of condoms when they are being overtaken by such primitive urges as sexual desire, once the ball has started rolling?

It's so easy to condemn others from the viewpoint of our oh-so-civilised western conditioning. So many references to what would happen in other cultures; but this isn't any other culture than that of Thailand from which so many of us 'westerners' have so much to learn.

It’s so easy to lay back and make judgements from the hammock without honestly considering ourselves in the same situation. We have to remember that education has not long been a priority in Thai culture, so this kind of thing, like not putting a helmet on your child’s head when you take them on a motorbike, is only to be expected.

Sure, the lad has a responsibility to provide financial assistance regarding his child's upbringing, but I don't think a prison sentence is called for.

If he won't pay what the courts have demanded, perhaps goods to the value would be a far more beneficial approach. If, as the OP suggests, his parents are reasonably affluent, then the court should insist on the money coming from them, or even taking the family car for auction.

I think ‘Face’ should read ‘Pride’, and ‘Sinsot’ should read ‘A good price for my daughter’.

2nd attempt at posting a reply.

I think the constant commenting on their ages is totally pointless.

1. They are both of legal age. Research tells me that the age of consent is 15 years and as low as 13 years with parental consent (please correct me if this is out of date).

2. Two years between them? How many years between you and your partner/spouse, previous sex partners or your mother and father?

The contraception issue is surely a joint responsibility but in the girl's greater interest to ensure that she doesn't fall pregnant. After all, if the boy backs out, as is often the case in any society, it will be her or, more uniquely to Thailand, her mother who will have to take care of the child.

How many teenage couples even think of condoms when they are being overtaken by such primitive urges as sexual desire, once the ball has started rolling?

It's so easy to condemn others from the viewpoint of our oh-so-civilised western conditioning. So many references to what would happen in other cultures; but this isn't any other culture than that of Thailand from which so many of us 'westerners' have so much to learn.

It’s so easy to lay back and make judgements from the hammock without honestly considering ourselves in the same situation. We have to remember that education has not long been a priority in Thai culture, so this kind of thing, like not putting a helmet on your child’s head when you take them on a motorbike, is only to be expected.

Sure, the lad has a responsibility to provide financial assistance regarding his child's upbringing, but I don't think a prison sentence is called for.

If he won't pay what the courts have demanded, perhaps goods to the value would be a far more beneficial approach. If, as the OP suggests, his parents are reasonably affluent, then the court should insist on the money coming from them, or even taking the family car for auction.

I think ‘Face’ should read ‘Pride’, and ‘Sinsot’ should read ‘A good price for my daughter’.

1) If he's an adult, how is this his parent's problem?

2)"It's so easy to condemn others from the viewpoint of our oh-so-civilised western conditioning." and then you answer in totally western thoughts and practices :o

Nice

2)"It's so easy to condemn others from the viewpoint of our oh-so-civilised western conditioning." and then you answer in totally western thoughts and practices :o

Nice

I can assure you I didn't. I was thinking from the viewpoint that Thai society is extremely family orientated and what would be fair all round. What good will him going to jail be for the child? If his family is made to pay he will have to deal with them regarding his responsibilities as he clearly isn't with the mother of his child. Is my suggestion what would happen in the west? I have no idea!

Edited by AnotherATM

Nice

I can assure you I didn't. I was thinking from the viewpoint that Thai society is extremely family orientated and what would be fair all round. What good will him going to jail be for the child? If his family is made to pay he will have to deal with them regarding his responsibilities as he clearly isn't with the mother of his child. Is my suggestion what would happen in the west? I have no idea!

How can you call him an adult and then penalize someone else for his actions?

and your answers about face and sinsot are certainly western

Okay, one at a time.

"How can you call him an adult... "

Well, I didn't call him an adult. I believe I simply stated that they were both of legal age, in Thai culture and law, to have sex together, to support my argument that discussion regarding their ages and the fact that "she wsa a schoolgirl", were irrelevant, though I didn't actually mention the aspect of her educational status because, if she was the stated age when the child was conceived, she could easily have been at college, as opposed to the common definition of 'school', being pre-college. Even in western law & culture the legal age for having sex is usually lower than that of legally being recognised as an adult, and I can again assure you that I was referring to Thai culture & law as opposed to the western variety that you accuse me of promoting.

"and then penalize someone else for his actions?"

Well,

"Happy to say that the judge ordered his father to pay a monthly allowance for the baby too"
suggests to me that this is also the culture and law of Thailand and, in the UK at least, not that of the west. This point also supports the argument that he shouldn't have technically/ legally/morally have been given a jail sentence because, I assume, his father is paying his debt. There may, of course, be other factors of the case that were not given by Neeranam, such as the attitude of the 'offender', and/or his parent(s), in court

"and your answers about face and sinsot are certainly western

This is purely a subjective argument of definition.

[definition]Save face: Avoid humiliation or embarrassment, preserve dignity. The phrase, which uses face in the sense of "outward appearances," is modelled on the antonym 'lose face'. [/definition]

[definition]Lose face: Be embarrassed or humiliated, especially publicly. Origin: Chinese 'tiu lien'[/definition]

[definition]Pride: A sense of one's own dignity or value. [/definition]

These are my personal views, which I tend to form based on evidence. Whichever way you look at, 'Face', in the context of this discussion, does it not hold a direct relationship with 'Pride'?,

My definition of, 'Sinsot' (Dowry, albeit payable by the husband to the parents of the wife), was again based on a personal and, as I see it, realistic assessment of it's meaning, unless you know that the amount payable is across the board in Thailand. My experience of Thailand, it's people and culture tells me it's not and I can justify that point if you wish. I raised the point, not in judgement of the cultural tradition, but in assessment of the reality of the word's meaning.

Your response is little more than accusations, as opposed to arguments. Why is that? Do you know me?, or are you simply being defensive?

I suggest you take more care when reading somebody else's comments and try to offer a more objective response if you feel that one is necessary and justified.

Okay, one at a time.

"How can you call him an adult... "

Well, I didn't call him an adult. I believe I simply stated that they were both of legal age, in Thai culture and law, to have sex together, to support my argument that discussion regarding their ages and the fact that "she wsa a schoolgirl", were irrelevant, though I didn't actually mention the aspect of her educational status because, if she was the stated age when the child was conceived, she could easily have been at college, as opposed to the common definition of 'school', being pre-college. Even in western law & culture the legal age for having sex is usually lower than that of legally being recognised as an adult, and I can again assure you that I was referring to Thai culture & law as opposed to the western variety that you accuse me of promoting.

"and then penalize someone else for his actions?"

Well,

"Happy to say that the judge ordered his father to pay a monthly allowance for the baby too"
suggests to me that this is also the culture and law of Thailand and, in the UK at least, not that of the west. This point also supports the argument that he shouldn't have technically/ legally/morally have been given a jail sentence because, I assume, his father is paying his debt. There may, of course, be other factors of the case that were not given by Neeranam, such as the attitude of the 'offender', and/or his parent(s), in court

"and your answers about face and sinsot are certainly western

This is purely a subjective argument of definition.

[definition]Save face: Avoid humiliation or embarrassment, preserve dignity. The phrase, which uses face in the sense of "outward appearances," is modelled on the antonym 'lose face'. [/definition]

[definition]Lose face: Be embarrassed or humiliated, especially publicly. Origin: Chinese 'tiu lien'[/definition]

[definition]Pride: A sense of one's own dignity or value. [/definition]

These are my personal views, which I tend to form based on evidence. Whichever way you look at, 'Face', in the context of this discussion, does it not hold a direct relationship with 'Pride'?,

My definition of, 'Sinsot' (Dowry, albeit payable by the husband to the parents of the wife), was again based on a personal and, as I see it, realistic assessment of it's meaning, unless you know that the amount payable is across the board in Thailand. My experience of Thailand, it's people and culture tells me it's not and I can justify that point if you wish. I raised the point, not in judgement of the cultural tradition, but in assessment of the reality of the word's meaning.

Your response is little more than accusations, as opposed to arguments. Why is that? Do you know me?, or are you simply being defensive?

I suggest you take more care when reading somebody else's comments and try to offer a more objective response if you feel that one is necessary and justified.

LOL ... waffle much?

i don't think he is a "scumbag". these kids needs sex education and it's lacking in thailand.

-----------------------

Exactly. He should have known to choose another hole. Mai pen rai...

:o

Then he really would have been in the sh7t, besides isnt that how the make babies in Wales.

Edited by howtoescape

i don't think he is a "scumbag". these kids needs sex education and it's lacking in thailand.

-----------------------

Exactly. He should have known to choose another hole. Mai pen rai...

:o

Then he really would have been in the sh7t, besides isnt that how the make people from that horrible country you dont like.

------------------

1) I love Thailand

2) I don't understand what you're trying to say... :D

Today, the 19 year old guy, who got my 17 year old sister-in-law pregnant, started a 6 month jail sentence.

He was given about 6 months to find the cash asked for but couldn't, or rather refused to find it. His family are pretty wealthy.

Happy to say that the judge ordered his father to pay a monthly allowance for the baby too.

I can't help feeling a little sory for the guy - jail is a bit harsh I think. My father in law wanted worse!

They had sex by mutual consent but she wsa a schoolgirl.

If he comes up with the cash, he gets out of jail. I have a feeling that they wil find the money somewhere.

There was a big legal battle involving "poo yai" from both sides trying to influence the judge.

Any views?

Of which criminal offence was he charged with? :o