Do You Always Need Exact Change?

cali4995

This morning I'm at the 7-11, Thai girl in front of me buys a 5 baht pack of

chewing gum and pays with a 1,000 baht note. NOBODY SAYS A WORD.

Later on in the day, I'm at mail boxes etc at the big-c. I need to send a letter

fancy airmail, it's 96 baht, can I pay with a 1k note? NO CAN CHANGE!

Yes, once again I am ding-dong farang. I don't understand the world monetary

system and all it's various denominations. I am a savage in a cultured land.

Even though there is actually a bank branch less than 50m away. I must at all

times carry every conceivable unit of currency and exact for every purchase.

I mean honestly, I'm pretty thoughful about not catching people off-guard, and

attempting to use the money somewhat skillfully but this is just ridiculous?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would they? I often do this. It seems fairly obvious to me. You use large denomination notes in 7/11 because they're a large business and always have change handy. You then use the smaller denomination notes to shop in smaller businesses where they don't have so much change in the till (assuming they have one at all). You seem to be getting very frustrated about something very minor. Maybe it's time to give Thailand a break and go back to your home country. I'm sure even there you'll find some shops are sometimes all out of change.

Edited by edwardandtubs

You're absolutely right of course. And 90% of the time I am able to

use small notes for small purchases and large notes for large items

it just isn't possible to do it all the time though, and I think the girl's

somewhat nasty attitude put me off a bit. I'll just go buy a

man-purse like everybody else. One that says "money here" on

the side and keep bullets and used shrapnel and stuff in there. :o

My point was, with a bank branch a two minute walk away, is it

good business practice to turn customers away or would it make

more sense to have some money in the register for transactions?

This isn't some little mom & pop soda stand. There is quite a

flow of people going there for various services. Thai and foreign.

I just don't think that's a good business strategy to "no can change".

Edwardandtubs you're right, I try and remind myself some of these

girls put up with unimaginable grief in these jobs for very little pay.

I went to the bookazine came back and sent the letter. No biggie.

Edited by cali4995

I'm always amazed at how long it takes to undertake a simple transaction. I pop into a 7/11, to buy a bottle of water, and see there's a line consisting of one fellow buying a packet of fags. 'This should take no more than 30 secs', I say to myself, smugly. Two and a half hours later, I'm still waiting to be served. Don't get me wrong; the staff are all running around doing things, but it still takes an age to buy what is essentially a packet of fags and a bottle of water.

I just don't get it - why, when the servers are actively serving, does service take so long?

I'm always amazed at how long it takes to undertake a simple transaction. I pop into a 7/11, to buy a bottle of water, and see there's a line consisting of one fellow buying a packet of fags. 'This should take no more than 30 secs', I say to myself, smugly. Two and a half hours later, I'm still waiting to be served. Don't get me wrong; the staff are all running around doing things, but it still takes an age to buy what is essentially a packet of fags and a bottle of water.

I just don't get it - why, when the servers are actively serving, does service take so long?

Must be the one you go to. The one i go to quick service all the time except when there is a massive line of people then I go somewhere else!

My point was, with a bank branch a two minute walk away, is it

This isn't some little mom & pop soda stand. There is quite a

flow of people going there for various services. Thai and foreign.

I just don't think that's a good business strategy to "no can change".

Edwardandtubs you're right, I try and remind myself some of these

girls put up with unimaginable grief in these jobs for very little pay.

I went to the bookazine came back and sent the letter. No biggie.

Ever tried to walk into a thai bank and just have a 1000 baht note changed?The answer you get could be a surprise.

Later on in the day, I'm at mail boxes etc at the big-c. I need to send a letter

fancy airmail, it's 96 baht, can I pay with a 1k note? NO CAN CHANGE!

Yes, once again I am ding-dong farang. I don't understand the world monetary

system and all it's various denominations. I am a savage in a cultured land.

Even though there is actually a bank branch less than 50m away. I must at all

times carry every conceivable unit of currency and exact for every purchase.

I mean honestly, I'm pretty thoughful about not catching people off-guard, and

attempting to use the money somewhat skillfully but this is just ridiculous?

sorry mate but Ive never experienced this,people just love to take money whatever sized note :o !!

is it

she'd probably just got rid of all her change to some bozo who paid a 96b bill with a 1000b note.

Must be the one you go to. The one i go to quick service all the time except when there is a massive line of people then I go somewhere else!

Nope - every single one. I think a lot of it has to do with change - they seem to keep so little in the tills - every 1000 baht note involves at least a dozen complex processes. Why they don't have a larger float is beyond me - there can't be that many robberies, surely?

General observation: When you have used or consumed a small-priced item (a 20-baht meal, licked your stamp already, a 30-baht haircut, etc.), it's amazing how those little shops come up with your change. They run around to nearby shop-keepers and get it.

But, if you can give the item back, they'd rather lose the sale than move their a$$ to get you the change.

Edited by toptuan

I stand by my point. If you have a professional business, that maintains

a large cash register on the premises (certainly with a bank branch a

stone's throw away) there is no reason not to maintain ample change in

the drawer for standard transactions. This isn't some grilled-chicken stand.

If the girl wasn't surly and talking on her mobile the entire time I really

would not have had a problem with it. I'm taking an old-fashioned approach

to this. I reward enterprises with friendly, helpful staff with my repeat

business. I try and be nice to everyone. Won't be going back to this place.

Is it really any different than purchasing a $1 item and paying with a $10 bill?

Like I said, I'm only going to frequent places which have courteous staff. :o

I stand by my point. If you have a professional business, that maintains

a large cash register on the premises (certainly with a bank branch a

stone's throw away) there is no reason not to maintain ample change in

the drawer for standard transactions. This isn't some grilled-chicken stand.

If the girl wasn't surly and talking on her mobile the entire time I really

would not have had a problem with it. I'm taking an old-fashioned approach

to this. I reward enterprises with friendly, helpful staff with my repeat

business. I try and be nice to everyone. Won't be going back to this place.

Is it really any different than purchasing a $1 item and paying with a $10 bill?

Like I said, I'm only going to frequent places which have courteous staff. :o

Isn't it more like a $3 item and paying with a $50 bill?

New enterprises open up and close here every week. Often it isn't due to a

"poor concept" or a "bad location" but it comes down to customer service.

The difference in how some employees behave when the boss is away is

often quite remarkable. Nobody expects a wai and sweet talk just perform

the task in a cordial manner. Some staff are openly sarcastic and rude and

others so polite you want to leave them a tip for being so considerate.

It's always been my understanding that the convenience mart's had a policy

not to question customers whatever denomination bill they chose to pay with.

And certainly appreciate this as you always know it won't be a problem there.

At this mailboxesetc. outlet, I just got the impression the girl was busy talking

on her mobile and couldn't be bothered. It was easier to just be unpleasant.

So, Yes, go get exact change or go somewhere else. Nothing else you can do.

Nope - every single one. I think a lot of it has to do with change - they seem to keep so little in the tills - every 1000 baht note involves at least a dozen complex processes. Why they don't have a larger float is beyond me - there can't be that many robberies, surely?

No offcourse there aren't that many robberies.. would you rob a shop if you knew there is only 1000 baht in the register..

There's this nice song from: Dont worry, be happy.. And another one: Allways look on the bright side of life tuutuututututututut.

And this is exactly what i do, instead of complaining and whining about everything that is different then the country i came from .

Even there sometimes the shop dont have enough change in the register.

I agree with cali4995. What about taxi drivers....no change for a THB100 note let alone a THB1000, from a THB40 or 50 fare. One day I'll pay in 25 satang coins.

I don't think I have seen 50B worth of 25 satang coins in my whole time in Thailand! :o

Whilst I can see your point, "mai pen rai" is the cause of and excuse for a lot of the problems in this country. Luckily (for those at the top of the heap) it is instilled in the culture, so unfairness is tolerated. It's fine to a degree, but it does cause unnecessary problems. (I know this is a deviation from the OP topic, but it is in response to Jareddiving's remarks.)

I am assuming you were using the Mail Box at North Pattaya Lotus?

The same thing happened to me a year or so ago. I EMS'd a package up-country for 150 baht or so and tried to pay with 1,000. The girl got snippy with me as well. My wife knows my boiling point and took over the negotiations from that point. I just walked away in disgust.

Maybe the girl just doesn't like farangs? :o

Edit in: Oops! I just re-read your post, cali, and I see you were at Big C rather than Lotus. My incident happened at Lotus so maybe it has something to do with smelling postage stamp glue that does it to these girls.

=====================================

Humphrey Bear:

If you shop at Tamimi you wil always find your corn flakes right side up, unless they have one of the Saudi trainees doing the bagging. Then you will be lucky to even get your corn flakes.

That's a rough way to start the day. :D

Edited by chuckd

I agree with cali4995. What about taxi drivers....no change for a THB100 note let alone a THB1000, from a THB40 or 50 fare. One day I'll pay in 25 satang coins.

I don't think I have seen 50B worth of 25 satang coins in my whole time in Thailand! :D

I have close to that in my till. :D It is where I dump all my change after shopping. Sometimes when a supplier give me an invoice for XB and 25 r 50 Satang they get the exact money. I have had customers wanting to help me by giving me their change, in the last couple of weeks I had one bloke pay me with 450 1 baht coins, so I have plenty of them. Then in the last week another one must have cleaned his place I got 25 and 50 satang, and 1 Baht coins to the value of about 100B. So if we run out of large notes I pull out the bags with 100 x1B coins to give change. Usually this results in a change of purchase or a compromise. I use the 1B coins for the baht buses. I keep a bag of 100 in my shopping bag, this way I spread them around a little. :o

I can see both sides of this discussion. Having a small shop can limit the amount of change you chose to keep in the till. On occasions I am the first stop after the ATM visit, if this happens a couple of times in a row my stock of 100B note is gone. This is a frustration for me and the customer as the nearest bank branch is over 6km away, I have been known to ask the pub next door but don't want to do this too often. Shops with better cash flow by default have more cash on hand. I have used the 7-11 as a money changing venue on more than one occasion, especially if I want some food from the stall near by.

Humphrey Bear:

If you shop at Tamimi you wil always find your corn flakes right side up, unless they have one of the Saudi trainees doing the bagging. Then you will be lucky to even get your corn flakes.

That's a rough way to start the day. :o

I'm working with Aramco - so I've got Tamimi coming out of my ears!!

Canteen is Tamimi, compound maintenance is Tamimi, tea-boy is Tamimi.

And yes, the commissary is Tamimi.

(By the way - Gulf Air is owned by a Tamimi as well)

Supposed to be in Vietnam now, but my company has screwed up the exit visa, so I'm wasting good work-time on Thai Visa.