Dog Ticks Invasion - Need Help !

Folks,

I am getting quite confused with all the issues (types of tick/para) and suggested solutions. Need some help with a situation which all of a sudden, is desperate please.

Background : We have a Spitz female 5 years old. Been a house dog all her life. Lived in many places with no problems. Been in Phuket for the last year. Moved to a place close to a mountain/hill about 8 months ago. Due to soi dogs and other dogs and ticks, never take her outside. If out, only in the car.

Current desperation: Over the past 2 months, faced an onslaught of ticks/parasite. Hard to say what because they are in different stages and I can't get a straight answer from any vet. From almost invisible to my eye, to the red ticks, to a fly which seems to fly out of her coat when brushing her. Have tried at least 3 vets in Phuket..currently with the Ao Chalong animal hospital. She also has very sensitive skin and continues to have red abrasions. Now shaved her down almost 40% of her fur!

Having read this thread, I decided to try the following, mostly based on posts from Jayjayjayjay, snowgard and inmysights.

1. Buy the chemicals and follow process suggested by Jayjayjayjay and spray the whole house and garden. Any indications of a place to buy these in Phuket? I will also try to get the Preventic collar.

2. Buy Invermec lotion and use on her skin/coat. Any indications of a place to buy these in Phuket?

3. Continue with the current vet treatment (1 week now) from the Ao Chalong vet. Blue pill (antibiotic) 2xday, white pill 2xday to prevent her from itching. I am not convinced that these address the real problem!!

Any comments would be appreciated. Inmysights, any results from your treatment?

thanks

Ticks seem to be cyclical here in Phuket. There are times when my dogs have no ticks, then other times they seem to be loaded with them and I have to constantly remove them. It gets really bad when they get into the ears. I have a pest control company spray the grounds on a regular basis, but even then ticks seem to crop up and then can be seen crawling on external walls where the dogs like to lay down and or sleep.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic